What's new

How to get hairs to stand up?

Whenever I lather up (usually I spend a few minutes applying the lather) I dont feel like it's really getting my beard to stand up. Might it be something to do with the brush im using? Its a synthetic brush and im wondering if a badger hair brush does this more effectively. I feel like I could greatly cut down on my shave times. Usually my shave will run me around 30 mins.

Nope, ive actually never heard of those products but they look very interesting. Thanks for the links. I'll look into it. :)

I think there's a limit to how much you can make your whiskers stand up. They're short, stiff and they grow at an angle most of the time.
So some soft lather isn't going to hold them perpendicular to your face.
Maybe the lather and the act of lathering make the whiskers not lie flat against your skin, but I don't think it's more than that.

Just my 2 cents.

Use your free hand to gently stretch the skin ahead of the razor. This is a must if you're straight razor shaving, and it really makes the whiskers stand up.

+1 on skin stretching.

For me:
1. Pre-shave shower and shampoo,
2. MWF, Tabac, ProRaso, or Cella,
3. Optional glycerin (6 drops) and dab of Bigelow cream added to scuttle/bowl on most days,
4. Major beard reduction WTG, XTG, ATG,
5. Rinse face with water to remove lather "cushion" residue for BBS closeness, keep face wet, rinsing may not work for everyone, some may require relathering for ample protection, try a thinner lather,
6. Cleanup ATG with buffing (very light pressure), skin stretching, listen to the sound of the razor and feel the vibration of the razor, feel skin for stubble spots and stubble direction with fingers,

Merkur HD, Merkur Vision, Merkur Slant, Gillette Slim with Feather or Personna Red blades

These work for me, I get at least DFS regularly and BBS or very close to BBS on most days.

HTH.

Last edited:
I've never bought that a brush can make one day's growth of hair "stand up".
Those hairs are much stiffer and tougher than the long floppy brush bristles.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
You could talk 'em into givng up.
proxy.php

proxy.php
“Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape”. Anonymous

Last edited:
Cookie Monster's hair always stands up. We should ask him.

Edit:

I used google images to find a picture of exactly what I mean.

proxy.php

I've read (not a scientist, so I'm not sure of the accuracy of the theory) that a hair "stands up" away from the face as it becomes more and more hydrated. Over the last month or so I've started leaving my lather on my face for a couple of minutes before taking the blade to my face (after face-lathering), in an attempt to get the hairs as hydrated as possible. I've actually noticed an improvement in the quality of my first pass since I've been doing this.

Top Bottom