What's new

How to drill out brush handle? And other ?'s.

More advice needed, please.

How can I drill out a brush handle (to achieve shorter loft) without a lathe or drill press? My first guess is to tape the heck out of the handle, grab it with a channelocks, and drill it out with my cordless drill. Anyone have any tips to help me not scar up the handle?

I've ordered a 22mm swirl handle and 22X65mm knot from TGN. There is no mention of the depth this handle is drilled to. Some of the others say 13mm. If that is what my swirl handle is, that will make a loft of 52mm, correct? I will almost certainly want this brush to have a final loft of no more than 47mm. 43mm is what I was really thinking of doing.
Does anyone know the standard depth of TGN's handles?

Thanks.

You might be able to do this by holding your handle in a vise, and carefully drilling with a Forstner (sp) bit in your drill, BUT this is a potential nightmare. See if any of your friends have a drill press with a drill press vise. Wrap the handle with several wraps of tape. This is a much less destructive method. Good Luck! The butterscotch swirl handles are nice. You may be able to have Tony drill it to your specs before he mails it.

Forstner bit on a drill. It can be done but be careful. Good vice and lots of tape around the handle.

+1 to seeing if tony can handle it
edit: just found this (on another handle description) on tgn
Hole can be drilled deeper to fit the loft you want. Some fitting may be needed.

any reason behind the (extremely) short loft? i'm a face latherer and i have a silvertip of the same dimensions set at 52mm and it's just about perfect. The butterscotch 22mm handles i'm seeing on the site (imo of course) would look a bit awkward set that low

For me, I prefer using Dremel. It helps to open knot hole and cleans inside of it as well. Using drill is acceptable but most of catalin handles are breakable under the pressure if you are not mastered on using drill.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Forstner bit on a drill. It can be done but be careful. Good vice and lots of tape around the handle.

+1, I use the easy to remove masking tape, and additionally wrap some cushioning material around it. A drill press is the tool of choice!

For me, I prefer using Dremel. It helps to open knot hole and cleans inside of it as well. Using drill is acceptable but most of catalin handles are breakable under the pressure if you are not mastered on using drill.

Which Dremel bit do you find works the best?

Thanks everyone.
It's a 50mm tall handle.
I could, if necessary, get access to a drill press, but it's about an hour drive away.
My current favorite brush has a 40mm handle with 45mm loft, with a vulfix silvertip knot. I like really soft tips, but something stiff enough to use with soaps. Does that make sense?
Maybe I'll use the rtv sealer and try the 52mm loft. Can't hurt to try it.
Looks like it's not going to get here until Monday, so I've still got a few days to think about things.

Which Dremel bit do you find works the best?

First I tested hardness of old knots base with screwdriver. If it is hard(for example black tar) I use drill bits else if it is soft or easy to crack I use cutters which they are more useful. At last I use sanding drum.

If you are careful you should be able to drill that GN handle out with a handheld drill and some sort of clamp. I have a drill press but have not used it for drilling out my restored handles.

I do have a pen vise that I find ideal as a way to hold the handles steady and square however.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I pad the handle with a wrap of leather, then drill slowly and carefully with a fortsner bit to set my desired depth.

You channel lock idea could work, but a bench vise suitably padded and carefully applied would be better.

Top Bottom