What's new

How To Break In A Brush & Get The Funk Out

Bought my first badger brush today (not sure of the make, it's a "shop brand"), and I'll be using this method tonight. I'll post the results tomorrow. Have to say, though, it smells pretty nice right now. It gets funky when it gets wet, doesn't it?

I had a Simpson Emperor that smelled fine brand new, until it got wet, then it stank! Followed the routine using Morning Fresh detergent and Proraso Cream, 24 hours later it smelled great and has ever since. :thumbup:

Washed my new badger brush in dish soap, let it soak in water & soap for 2 hours, then rinsed, made later (KMF Lime & glycerin soap) and let the brush stand. This morning, I rinsed it well and put it in the stand to dry. I shaved tonight, and there was NO smell, the brush was softer, but still very nice. Thanks so much for this thread! Very helpful!

Got my 3/1 Rooney yesterday, gave it the treatment over night and MUCH better this morning. Still slight "gamey" smell but a BIG improvement. Highly recommended. Much softer too.

Hi guys,
Really excited to try this out. I've been using mine for just over a week, and it's pretty..."stabby"

My question is, will this technique work for mine? It's a Wilkinson Sword, not the greatest I know, and all I can find out about what it's made with is "the finest bristles to exfoliate the skin and help lift and moisten the beard"

Should I give this a try? Or is it just a matter of going out and getting a higher quality boar/badger?
Don't want to try and condition a bunch of polyester bristles or something.

I suspect it's Boar Bristle...most inexpensive brushes are. Boar can require some time to break in. The tips of the bristles will split into several pieces and should eventually become softer and perform better. The break-in routine should help, but also just regular latherings, followed by thorough drying, will accelerate the process. Even on days you don't shave, go ahead and whip up a bowl of lather. It should help.

Even on days you don't shave, go ahead and whip up a bowl of lather. It should help.

ahaha, I've actually been geeking out over shaving and just whipping up a lather just for the fun of it!
Now I have an excuse to tell my wife!

Great post! :thumbup:I've tried this on my brushes and it's worked great. Even tried it on some older vintage (nos?) brushes and had success with all but one -- the badger brush from funk-hell! I'm not kidding, as soon as I opened the box it was in, my living room began to take on that badger-funk. I tried this method three different times with this brush and nothing worked. I've finally given up and decided that I'm gonna have to yank the bristles and put in a new brush into the handle. Drag, but the funk :glare:was tooooo much -- even for this method.

I think the only way to really break in a brush is coincidentally also the only real cure for a hangover.

Time.

:laugh:

Hi guys,
Really excited to try this out. I've been using mine for just over a week, and it's pretty..."stabby"

My question is, will this technique work for mine? It's a Wilkinson Sword, not the greatest I know, and all I can find out about what it's made with is "the finest bristles to exfoliate the skin and help lift and moisten the beard"

Should I give this a try? Or is it just a matter of going out and getting a higher quality boar/badger?
Don't want to try and condition a bunch of polyester bristles or something.

I suspect it's Boar Bristle...most inexpensive brushes are. Boar can require some time to break in. The tips of the bristles will split into several pieces and should eventually become softer and perform better. The break-in routine should help, but also just regular latherings, followed by thorough drying, will accelerate the process. Even on days you don't shave, go ahead and whip up a bowl of lather. It should help.
+1 to Snargle

I started with the VDH boar which I imagine is comparable to the Wilki and I now use two different Omegas. If you want to do a cheap upgrade the Omegas are really great for $10 or less for most models.

But yes, regardless of quality, all boar needs broken in. Following the instructions should do wonders to soften it up. I've done 2-3 soaks in a row and seen a noticeable difference. I also find a diluted vinegar soak in between gets all the soap scum out. Just like your beard; the bristles give much easier when properly treated.

Last edited:
just wondering if a hair conditioner would help soften the bristels of the boar? or maybe some dog conditioner, not sure if it's much different.

just wondering if a hair conditioner would help soften the bristles of the boar? or maybe some dog conditioner, not sure if it's much different.

An overnight (I let it sit for 12 hours) sit in the lather of a good quality shave soap or cream will do wonders. No need for conditioner.
Last brush, i used the Vulfix Persian Musk cream, and it did wonders for the boar brush. Some Momma Bears soaps can have a strong aroma and very useful for driving out the worst of the dead animal funk. The glycerin also helps soften and break in the brush. Nice blooms all around.

Top Bottom