What's new

How to acquire a nice Escher/Thuri?

Get a bucket full of money ready. I have a 5x2.5 dark blue and it wasn't cheap but was still a good deal as far as Echers go. I'd concider @cotedupy offer, he knows his stones and is more than fair in his pricing
This is a fact. I trust his judgement on stones with out a doubt. I don't think I've purchased any stones from @cotedupy but he has mailed me stones and they were good stones. I actually have one from him I need to PIF.

Reactions: Wid
Yeah you aren't getting any deal on a yellow green in that size.. You can name your price for those on the bay as rabbis just throw the money at you for the yellow greens and don't even haggle most of the time.

Legion

Staff member
Yeah you aren't getting any deal on a yellow green in that size.. You can name your price for those on the bay as rabbis just throw the money at you for the yellow greens and don't even haggle most of the time.
Rabbis?

Assuming that isn't an auto correct typo, are they considered a kosher stone? Like the kosher coticules?

Legion

Staff member
They use them in the slaughterhouses... They pretty much only want yellow green, will do light green in a pinch and shun the blues or blue greens
Right, same as the cotis. Interesting. Learn something new every day.

Legion

Staff member
It's like Russians were with washitas until the unpleasantness started
Was that for religious reasons? I thought that was just a youtube fad that made them popular over there.

Actually, now that I think about it, given how big Russia is, one thing you don't really hear about is Russian sharpening stones. I can't think of any, anyway.

Last edited:
Now that they have been knocked out of the box, the deals for charnleys and washitas have just been great... It's just a shame it took people getting shelled and more to bring the prices back to earth

The boxed 5x1 still sell for reasonable prices (<100, sometimes<50).

Dark blue 7x1.5 without labels or with tiny label scraps aren't bad. (<150)

Sometimes greens slip by <200. (Just got sniped on a labeled one @ 160, regret not going to 200... but such is life)

But this is all ebay. Tim buys all the ones in the wild, so dont even try.

The rabbi thing is news to me, but I haven't sold a yg in ages... cotis made sense because they are nonporous and that was the assumed reason (know the stone is clean) they were desired for butchering... there's not many stones out there that absorb faster than a soft yg.

For a good bit there you could score 6x2s for $100 or so (ambicuts with thuri backs), but it must be almost 5 yrs since I saw one of those listed.

Last edited:
A lot of the ones I have moved in recent times have gone to spring valley/Monsey ny. We used to have a few rabbis on here actually but I haven't seen them in ages.

I’m guessing that the affinity to Eschers comes from that being the best stone in the part of the world that historically had the largest Jewish population (outside the US). If there had been large Jewish communities in Japan or Arkansas it might be a different situation.

Not an expert on getting stones internationally, but I have noticed some decent prices coming out of Ukraine the past few months. General European-area stones (I picked up a dual Scotch hone myself). Given how large Russia is, I would expect that there must be a few interesting honing stones somewhere in that part of the world.

Legion

Staff member
I’m guessing that the affinity to Eschers comes from that being the best stone in the part of the world that historically had the largest Jewish population (outside the US). If there had been large Jewish communities in Japan or Arkansas it might be a different situation.

Not an expert on getting stones internationally, but I have noticed some decent prices coming out of Ukraine the past few months. General European-area stones (I picked up a dual Scotch hone myself). Given how large Russia is, I would expect that there must be a few interesting honing stones somewhere in that part of the world.
I’d be worried about how the postal system out of the Ukraine is working these days. When I’ve bought things from there in the past, international mail was routed through Moscow.

I’d be worried about how the postal system out of the Ukraine is working these days. When I’ve bought things from there in the past, international mail was routed through Moscow.
When I bought it the predicted delivery time was 6 weeks. It actually arrived in under 4 weeks. So it is unpredictable, but at least I am 1 for 1. With the electricity outages, not sure if the situation is the same today as it was 2 months ago.

Top Bottom