What's new

How old old were you when you first shaved?

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Was 16 I think - used one of those razors hotels included in their toiletry packs. When I got home, initially used a cart razor, and didn’t even finish the carts included in the box; got a safety razor soon after and that was that.

Between 15 and 16 with a Gillette Atra and disposables until the Gillette Sensor came out in '90 which for cartridges was a step up from the Atra because it was a heavier ZAMAC with a sure rubber grip and it gave good shaves with two blades and resisted clogging. Then bought into the Mach 3 and fusion 5 blade but it just never got better (as far as cartridges go) than the Sensor until trying DEs. Four razors over ~40 years and shaving was a necessary evil, then discovered DEs and 20+ razors later I'm looking forward to my next shave.

(Maybe I'm a B&B natural. :letterk1:)

9 years old.

I went into the bathroom and surveyed all the "stuff" in there. Then it struck me that I'd like a shave. I'd watched my dad do it often enough. So off the shelf came his TTO complete with DE blade (no idea what make or model it was).

After a quick check in the mirror I realized that I had nothing to shave off... but I thought, there must be "something." Ah, inspiration: EYEBROWS! :devil:
So with just warm water and the razor off came the eyebrows, and a fine job it was too. I hadn't expected anything else, which is probably why it worked so well. :biggrin:

THE ONLY TROUBLE WAS...
Although it was a fine job, I didn't like the look one bit. Later on when my mother saw me she nearly had a fit, my dad didn't say anything but I could tell he was amused. Then of course my school teacher wasn't much help either. So it was a relief when they started to grow back in (my mother religiously daubed them with Vaseline and brushed them every day to make sure they didn't grow "straight out").

Fortunately, I don't have pics. :laugh:

9 years old.

I went into the bathroom and surveyed all the "stuff" in there. Then it struck me that I'd like a shave. I'd watched my dad do it often enough. So off the shelf came his TTO complete with DE blade (no idea what make or model it was).

After a quick check in the mirror I realized that I had nothing to shave off... but I thought, there must be "something." Ah, inspiration: EYEBROWS! [emoji317]
So with just warm water and the razor off came the eyebrows, and a fine job it was too. I hadn't expected anything else, which is probably why it worked so well. [emoji3]

THE ONLY TROUBLE WAS...
Although it was a fine job, I didn't like the look one bit. Later on when my mother saw me she nearly had a fit, my dad didn't say anything but I could tell he was amused. Then of course my school teacher wasn't much help either. So it was a relief when they started to grow back in (my mother religiously daubed them with Vaseline and brushed them every day to make sure they didn't grow "straight out").

Fortunately, I don't have pics. [emoji23]
This is a great story!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

9 years old.

After a quick check in the mirror I realized that I had nothing to shave off... but I thought, there must be "something." Ah, inspiration: EYEBROWS! :devil:
So with just warm water and the razor off came the eyebrows, and a fine job it was too. I hadn't expected anything else, which is probably why it worked so well. :biggrin:

THE ONLY TROUBLE WAS...

Fortunately, I don't have pics. :laugh:

1589642217769.png

I'm just imagining you doing this, Cal.

Apparently there are others...link. The photo above was some weirdo girlfriend's idea of a prank (maybe).

Pardon the video. That is not how I imagine you.

I worked with a guy who got a bootcamp hair cut in the National Guard or the Reserves. I believe those are almost shaved haircuts but not quite shaved.

Anyway, after that induction cut his hair remained bald. I have no idea why. He never talked about it. I only know of it because a mutual friend told me the story and told me the guy therefore wore a wig.

We were all about college age or a tad older then.

I'd not noticed the wig at all, but, knowing it was a wig I looked for signs. He indeed wore a wig. This man was younger than me; I was I think twenty one.

It's possible the mutual friend was pulling my leg but I didn't think so then and don't think so now.

Glad your eyebrows grew back. I started to say grew back normal. Normal or not, they grew back.

1589641836868.png

Great story. I doubt anyone will top it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

16. Thought I was a man with a bad teenage stache. Shaved and felt way more like a dude. Clean-shaven ever since. Was probably a Good News disposable.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not 100% on this, but I think eighth grade, thirteen years old.

Much more frequently shaving by fifteen. I'm not sure when daily shaves became the norm for me, but certainly before the end of high school. Actually, I grew a beard before the end of high school and was because of the beard banned from being on the stage during the high school honors ceremony.

My high school released graduating seniors from school several weeks prior to the end of the school year, several weeks prior to the various ceremonies, and several weeks prior to exam week. It was a senior privilege or tradition or something like that. I took those weeks as an opportunity to grow a beard. It didn't even occur to me that the high school's officials and bureaucrats would be bothered or concerned or even pay attention to my beard. It wasn't an act of rebellion. Just a fun thing to do and why not?

I also didn't know I was in any way going to be part of the honors ceremony. Not that that would have made a difference to me one way or the other.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Think I was 15 when I started asking to shave. Had that fuzz whisker thing going at the same time. Had long whisker hairs growing, was gross. Dad would tell me to put some cream (dairy) on my face and have the cat lick it off.
I would say, but I have sideburns, and would always tell me it was overhang.
Finally, probably 16, he let me use his razor and canned cream (for shaving). Think was a Gillette TTO. Used his for awhile til he bought me one of my own. Probably only shaved once a week for a while

I was 15. Dad even had a second DE for me. I believe it was an adjustable. This would have been 1973.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Started at 12-13 I believe with a Gillette Atra as it was new and cool and Barbasol foam... wanted to grow a beard but my Dad and school did not allow facial hair.....

February 14th, 2001. I was almost 15 years old then. My brother kept pestering me to shave. I had peach fuzz, just like anybody else, but the school allowed it. In any case, I used an Astor twin-bladed disposable and some hand soap, as I remember. Shortly afterwards, at 16, I bought a cheap Chinese DE and some blades. Kept using that until I was 17, I think, then switched to disposables again, then Mach 3 cartridges and finally mid-2016 I switched to DE for good on my face. Still use a Mach 3 to shave my head, though.

Top Bottom