What's new

How often does the whole honing process need done?

I had a straight for a couple a months a few years back and didn't mind the shaving part - but after spending a lot of time sending off to some true straight hardcore types (I had a Fromm ~$100) and finally getting back a sweet edge, I dropped in the sink on the first shave...I was pretty bummed because I didn't have the skills to maintain the edge.

So after a couple of years of cartridge shaving I'm back to where I was when I bought the straight - tired of paying for expensive cartridges that just don't provide the same kind of experience. I am waiting on my first DE (SS) but the evil B/S/T forum has some NICE straights. I took a look at the very well put together guide in this forum and aside from the cost of the gear, I think I have enough skills to do the work.

Roughly how often does the entire honing process need to be done? If I buy a straight from B/S/T from an experienced B&B member that is shave ready how long do I have to buy the materials to do a honing job? I know a strop will be necessary immediately - but for the other materials (norton 4/8k, diamond plate, etc) how long can a well honed edge last?

thx!

It all depends on how well you maintain the edge and how much wear you put on it, and how long you can avoid an "accident". I can go about three months with a leather/linen hanging strop, and we have some members that regularly go a year with that setup.

When you say "honing" do you mean "honing with a stone?". If you're willing to hone with a strop (which requires no more skill than normal stropping) then you can go much longer. With a pasted paddle or some paste on the linen side of your hanging strop then you can stretch it to a year or longer. I've heard privately from some members that they've gone years without having to go to a stone, using only one or two razors and a pasted hanger or paddle to touch up the blades.

You need a stone to repair chips and rolled edges. And if you start buying razors off of ebay then you'll need an assortment of hones to fix the sort of edges you'll find, and lots of practice (and discussion on this forum) to master their use. But an awful lot of members here use pasted strops for normal maintenance.

Last edited:
yes, I did mean using the stone. That's great - sounds like I could buy a shave-ready blade and leather/linen hanging strop and get by for a while. Then I could buy some crap blades off of ebay and sharpen (pun intended) my honing skills. There is also a barber supply place here in town that offers sharpening services too just in case.

Look out...more blades a' comin' haha. Anything for that great shave though.

There is also a barber supply place here in town that offers sharpening services too just in case.

Any of the honemeisters on this forum will hone your razor for a reasonable fee without ruining the bevel or dulling it further, both of which have been the usual result from these "sharpening services". They're more geared for sharpening scissors than straight razors nowadays.

yeah, i'd be wary about using the 'sharpening service'. A honemeister through here will do it better for cheaper.

Cool - I bought the Wester Bros. Fraternity 5/8 spike that was in the B/S/T forum.

Also got my super speed tonight! First DE shave is very smooth, but much razor burn due to improper blade angle and pressure.

With a straight its so much easier to see the blade in relation to the skin. I'm sure I'll enjoy both.

And when the time comes, I'll definitely send it to someone here. I want to support the cause anyhow. I should become a supporter here after all the excellent reading/advice that can be found.

Top Bottom