What's new

How often do you get a new wallet?

I was noticing my wallet today as I bought lunch and realized that it was beginning to look a bit worn. I know it is a decent quality soft leather and I have probably used it for two years.

Is that typical? Just wondering.

I hate buying a new wallet...I have to do it about every 3 years...but that is because I have a weekend wallet and an everyday wallet...so I get a little longer wear.

To answer the question, every 5 years.

To clarify that answer, however, of the 2 wallets I have owned, the first didn't need to be replaced. It wasn't worn out. The leather wasn't in bad shape. It was a high quality wallet with no bells or whistles. There wasn't a spot specifically for a drivers license. It was just a run of the mill wallet. I think I'm going to look for it tomorrow. The second had that spot for the drivers license. It has a little pouch for change (currently holding a Kennedy half dollar and a 20 Euro Cent piece). It has a zipper to keep money hidden. The leather isn't great. It is a little bulky.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
About every 4 years, although my last wallet was a Saddleback and its guaranteed for life. So I guess Im done buying wallets.

I tried one about 40 years ago but never bothered again. No wallet.

I have gone through four or five leather coin purses though!

A wallet normally lasts me about 5-7 years. When it wears out, I normally end up buying about 5 different wallets over a couple of months until I find one I can live with. The slightly used ones usually get donated to a charity shop. Two years doesn't sound like a long time to me.

I'd say mine have lasted about 10 years at a go.

Maybe because there isn't much money in there, is why it lasts more than a couple of years????:w00t:

I have a stingray leather wallet I've been using for over 15 years now and it still looks very presentable. Toughest natural leather I've ever used.

Were I to replace it with something other than stingray leather, I'd go for either a stainless steel wallet or a nylon wallet as all the other leather wallets I've ever had just lasted a couple years at best.

As with the rest of life, YMMV. I'm part of the 10+ year club, but some wallets aren't designed to last more than 1-2 years.

My wallets stay very slim... No bulges!
\\
Consequently, I get good mileage out of them. Mine came from Filson... Back when Filson was still Filson, and not a fashion house!

Prior to the one I have now (Ellington, got it at an outlet so I'm not sure if that's a known name or not), I used the teenager fabric wallets...I went through 3 of those in about 10 years, I guess. The one I have now is looking good and I expect it'll last at least another 2-3 years.

I think I put too much in mine. By "too much" I don't mean cash, btw! I mean receipts as I am not particularly prompt at filing expense reports.

I guess I need to find a better place to store those things.

Probably creeping up on 10 years with my current one and it's still in GREAT condition, no signs of wear whatsoever. Black leather trifold my wife bought me either early in our marriage or before we were married (can't remember my previous wallet I've had it so long).

I do need to seek out a thinner one. I keep it in my front pocket and it's about an inch think, maybe a little over...without any cash in it! It's hard to get out of a couple of my jean pockets...they've been "shrinking" in the last year or two, getting tight at the top.

I've only had two wallets my 25 years. Both black "sheepskin". The first one I used from 13-22, so 8 years and was leather. It was a two fold and was still in good shape when I got a new one that is a single fold that has a metal piece with my initials engraved on it as a college graduation gift. Just started using that one since it was nice and new and I didn't want to offend the gift giver. I actually like the single fold style better now and this one has held up great as well. However, I'm not one to push the storage limits of my wallets. I like to keep them thin so that I'm not sitting on a rock, so there's not been a lot of stress on them.

Top Bottom