What's new

How Much Time to Shave

Or, you do like me and you get up 15 minutes earlier during the week. It's worth it to start the day with a GREAT shave! You're just laying there in bed hammering your snooze button anyway - those "extra minutes" of "sleep" aren't doing you a darn bit of good! GET UP AND SHAVE MAN!:w00t:
+1! Or perhaps get up 30 minutes early and spend a few minutes sucking down some strong coffee...:thumbup1:

Aside from the actual preparation, plus maybe 2 minutes for lathering, my shaving with a DE is now about the same length of time as shaving with a Sensor. If you include the preparation and alum/aftershave stage, I think it's maybe only 30 percent longer, but that'll get better with time I'm sure.

Or, you do like me and you get up 15 minutes earlier during the week. It's worth it to start the day with a GREAT shave! You're just laying there in bed hammering your snooze button anyway - those "extra minutes" of "sleep" aren't doing you a darn bit of good! GET UP AND SHAVE MAN!:w00t:

A very good point...

I shave with a straight razor (97% of the time). I'm not sure how long the actual shave takes, but it takes a little less than 20 minutes to brush my teeth, shower, shave (two passes), apply aftershave, and clean up the sink. I guess the shave itself maybe takes about 9 minutes.

My DE/cartrdige shaves probably are 6 minutes (two passes).

Drew

Never timed the complete process, but with a DE, about 45 to 55 seconds for a complete pass.
Wow! That's mooooving! Slow down and enjoy your shave, man!:w00t:
I can take long strokes pretty fast on my cheeks, but when I get around the chin, windpipe, adam's apple I've got to shorten strokes and slow down, or I'd be missing parts of my face...:biggrin:

I'd say the shave is about 30 to 40 mins. What's the rush anyway?

You don't want to know the rest of the story. :biggrin:

I'm going to try the night shaving thing starting next week and see how I do. I still have time to experiment before I start my new job (August 9). I don't want to be rushed in the mornings and screw up a good shave. I've been reading the "Shaving at night" thread and I share a lot of those sentiments.

Well, I tried this, and it was an affront to all shaving things sacred.

It just didn't feel right last night. I felt sort of like I was shaving through someone else's arm, watching another person in the mirror...and then I gouged out a piece of skin right under my nose. Could have been the new Swedish Gillette blade, but I wasn't nearly as on-task as usual. Anyway, after the shave, the post-shave experience wasn't nearly as soothing as usual. Then I didn't sleep well. After I shaved, I was ready to GO somewhere, not get in bed. And the pillow against my face didn't feel right.

I get up this morning and the face seems ok, but man, I missed that shave.

By 2:00 I had major stubble, a five-o-clock shadow much earlier than usual. Between that and the heat outside and in the car, I was not happy. :mad:

So, it's definitely going to be an EARLY morning in my household when school is back in session, starting next week.

I'll have to time it. I know my morning routine, though. I get up at ten till six, find and take my meds, find my thermos, wash it out, grind the coffee, separate out a filter, fill the coffee maker, fill the coffee pot, start the coffee going, fill the thermos with hot water, then hop into the shower, then shave, then choose and put on clothes. I'm done with this list by 6:15, so long as the thermos turns up right away! I suspect the shave takes about ten minutes.

Top Bottom