What's new

How much for an everyday watch?

What is the most you'll consider spending on an everyday watch? Not a special occasion watch, but a watch that you intend to wear to the office almost daily - and while you certainly don't aim to scratch it, you know it's only a matter of time. What's your cut off price?

Watches are one of the few things that I am willing to spend much money on. If I can afford a watch that I like, there is not cutoff price for me.

Well, I haven't been bitten by the watch bug and I'm in the IT field, so a Casio G shock is my daily user. Messing with computer covers, servers, running cable, etc. - I'd be afraid to scratch up a nice watch. As for price, I know I can find them on sale for $50 or so.

If I didn't have a hands-on type job that might not scratch a nice watch, I'd probably have better. Or maybe not.

Legion

Staff member
Man, that is a very open question.

I spent almost $3k on the watch I wear every day. But my justification for spending the money was that I will be wearing it every day, and therefore recouping the money. And it has been on my wrist, almost every day now, for five years. When you average it out, that is not so much a day. Quality lasts.

When I was younger my daily wear watch was a timex. I got fed up with the scratches on the plastc crystal. So when I went to collage i bought a Seiko. Now My daily wear watch is a Omega Seamaster. It is also my engagement present from my wife. I wear it every day, except when exercising. Its a Higher quality product so it can take a bit more of a beating. After five years it's going in for a service that should take care of any scratches.
So long story short I would probably go for the highest quality watch you like and can afford.
Johnny

I would, in almost any instance, spend more on a daily wear watch than one that will only see occaisonal use. This holds for my current daily wear Seiko Flight Computer, will stay true as I soon step up to something nicer (probably a Seiko SKX), and will stay true years down the road when I move to a Grand Seiko, Breitling, Rolex, etc. My occasional wear watches are Invictas, a Citizen that was a gift, and a replica Breitling that I re-banded with a brown alligator leather band with deployment clasp from eBay. Most of these watches more closely match certain outfits or specific accessories.

Attempting to be the voice of reason here, there are a lot of choices between the Timex and multi-thousand dollar watches that are perfectly suitable for everyday wear.

In terms of price/value, I'm a big fan of the Orient brand - high quality Japanese watches (both quartz and automatic/mechanical) for very reasonable prices. They also have big sales all the time (30% off right now).

http://www.orientwatchusa.com/watches.html

Last time I checked, my Orient quartz told time just as well as my Omega automatic - better in fact. In terms of appearances, I get more comments on my Orient (Rolex type diver) than I do my vintage watches costing several times as much.

I'm not knocking the high end watches, just saying that you don't need to spend a ton of cash to get a very high quality, classy watch that will stand up to day to day wear without any issues.

Daily wear is a Casio Forester or in the past some analog dailed Timex. I only buy them on sale and get 5-10 years out of them.

Attempting to be the voice of reason here, there are a lot of choices between the Timex and multi-thousand dollar watches that are perfectly suitable for everyday wear.

In terms of price/value, I'm a big fan of the Orient brand - high quality Japanese watches (both quartz and automatic/mechanical) for very reasonable prices. They also have big sales all the time (30% off right now).

http://www.orientwatchusa.com/watches.html

Last time I checked, my Orient quartz told time just as well as my Omega automatic - better in fact. In terms of appearances, I get more comments on my Orient (Rolex type diver) than I do my vintage watches costing several times as much.

I'm not knocking the high end watches, just saying that you don't need to spend a ton of cash to get a very high quality, classy watch that will stand up to day to day wear without any issues.

Here here! My Pulsar Chronograph may not be a fancy several thousand dollar watch, but it keeps just as good time, is durable and looks nice on my wrist. I'm not saying I wouldn't spend the money form something fancy if I could afford it, but I'm quite happy with my $80 Pulsar. It's served me MUCH better than a host of Timex and other similarly priced watches that came before it, and Just as well as the one $200 Seiko Quartz I've owned. I probably never will have anything quite so elite as a Rolex to compare it to, but again, it tells time as reliably and accurately as most any watch, but not as reliably as my computer or phone which sync to a network time server. Right now my watch is 15 seconds slow compared to my computer, and I'm pretty sure it was at least 5 seconds slow the last time I synced it a couple weeks ago because I couldn't be bothered to wait another minute to get it perfect.

So yeah to paraphrase Stephen Stills: I'f you can't have the watch you love, love the one you have. ;)

I got 15 years out of my Dress Seiko and working on 12+ on my current Pulsar I didn't pay over $300 for either of them.

I like my Citizen eco-drive. A little chronograph, under $100. Pretty pleased with the Orient I got as well. I plan to treat myself to a nice watch after graduation.

I like my Citizen eco-drive. A little chronograph, under $100. Pretty pleased with the Orient I got as well. I plan to treat myself to a nice watch after graduation.

I'm planning on getting an eco-drive for my next watch purchase. SWMBO said she got me a pocketwatch as a wedding gift. So I'm excited for that. As for me I have a little timex I think I spend $50 or so on as my everyday watch. It's lasted 8 years so far. Might need a new battery pretty soon though.

What is the most you'll consider spending on an everyday watch? Not a special occasion watch, but a watch that you intend to wear to the office almost daily - and while you certainly don't aim to scratch it, you know it's only a matter of time. What's your cut off price?

$150 or less - you'd be surprised what you can get for under $150. EG: one of the DOD sites had an Invicta Pro Diver in SS with a seiko automatic movement on sale for $49.94 MRSP $395. Is it a WOW brand - no, is it a good watch at an excellent price - yes.

Your budget will determine your threshold. If I only make $50K a year I will not be buying a Daytona. I will more than likely buy a Seiko.

If you have a nice expensive watch in mind, save money from every pay check until you can buy it cash. I have done this a number of times.

My daily wear watches are in the (well, more than most people spend on a watch) range.

It gives me great pleasure to wear these and is one of the few luxuries I enjoy.

I care not one bit about daily wear scratches. It just shows the the watch has been loved!

It seems that if you spend any more for a watch than I spend, you are buying precious metal instead of a watch.

My two favorite brands are Omega and Rolex.

My "nice" watch is $150 Seiko Diver's watch. But I usually just wear a Casio digital -- model F105W-1A Illuminator, currently $12.92 at Amazon.

If you like dive watches, I would recommend an Orient Mako. They have classic good looks and are solidly built. The winding is automatic, so it lends its self to everyday wearing. They can be had for less than $150.

Last edited:
I agree. Invicta is a great brand. I own over 20 of them. The Pro diver is very popular. the Russian Diver for afterhours.

$150 or less - you'd be surprised what you can get for under $150. EG: one of the DOD sites had an Invicta Pro Diver in SS with a seiko automatic movement on sale for $49.94 MRSP $395. Is it a WOW brand - no, is it a good watch at an excellent price - yes.

Care to post a link? Been considering one of these, especially the two tone with blue dial, for the once or twice a month I wear khaki chinos or slacks with a blue blazer.

I have a Signature Russian Diver and a Corduba Chronograph that both see minimal wear because they are just too big... they would be excellent watches if they were 10-15% smaller.

Top Bottom