What's new

How Many Strops Do You Own?

Four, one fewer than I'm about to have. A poor man's practice, a 3" English Bridle Mountain Mike, a Kanayma 30000 and an 80000. So far I really only ever use the 30000. I imagine I'll get a TM some day; about a week I'd guess :p

@kohalajohn
The Miller Roughout has kind of a "suede-y" texture. Very deliberate draw. Hence...It has very easy to control personality. I think it would be hard to put a nick in one of these unless the person using it was extremely ham-handed. Works well on all my razors but really shines on the heavier grinds (1/4-1-2 hollow).

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Can you tell me more about the TM roughout? I've been watching it, and am curious.

John, We are doing a Pass Around on one in my Fourm section if you want to get on the list. In the end I will pick a random winner who get to keep the strop.
Tony

John, We are doing a Pass Around on one in my Fourm section if you want to get on the list. In the end I will pick a random winner who get to keep the strop.
Tony

I'd like that, Tony, but I think the pass around is CONUS only and I'm in Canada. Would it still apply to me?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
We kept it at the 50 USA states to keep shipping costs reasonable for each person participating and shipping to Canada triples the usualy USA shipping cost.

I own a Westholme 3" Shell Cordovan strop, a small travel strop that used to be a vintage strop, but I replaced the leather with a piece of cordovan and put some linen on the other side. I also own a diamond pasted strop that I'll be using for my knives: one side is loaded with 0.5 micron and the other with 0.25.

I have a TM 2.5 inch latigo with linen, a TM 2.5 inch horse hide with linen, a TM 3 inch bridle with cotton, a 3 inch TM notovan with cotton, and a TM 4 sided paddle strop diamond pasted 3, 1, .05 um and horse hide. I use the 3 inch bridle and 3 inch notovan most frequently. I keep thinking about a Kanayama, but so far have resisted the SAD. I have many home made pasted paddle strops that I use for knives and edged tools.

I have one strop.It was cheap.However I hand rub the strop before use.Over time the strop has become nice enough that I don’t worry about getting another…I suppose I need a backup but What I have works.

Two.

I would only have one but @rbscebu told me that everyone ends up cutting their first strop so I got a backup. It’s been nearly two years. I’m still waiting to cut my first strop. Some people are fast learners I guess.

1. Heirloom Old No. 2 Horsehide and Linen
2. Westholme Shell Cordovan and Linen

EEA37D33-5464-441A-B99D-D0F984AE6029.jpeg

Top Bottom