What's new

How Many Shims to Add?

Using Kai blades with the edges cut off as shims, how many should I use to try out shimming an overly-mild razor (Feather ASD2)?

Each blade is ~ 0.010" thick, of course. Not sure if each DE blade shim automatically adds 0.010" blade gap? In theory that seems true?

I used one in my Valynor and am happy with that...maybe I'll try two to see how that goes. That's what you should try as well...start with one.

Why try to fix someone else's mistake? That's too expensive of a razor to shim, just sell it and buy one you like more.

Blades are somewhere between 0.004 and 0.005" thick. And adjustable razor is a better solution than shims I suspect.

The number of shims you could use is directly proportional to the value of the torque you are willing to apply when tightening the head. If you know what I mean. At some point you will say, darn, this is hard to close/tighten.
I played with shims and, if I would play again, I wouldn't use more than one. That is because I don't want to put that much load on the threaded post. I have been wrong before so...

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Based on my experience with the AS-D2, about one or two shims can give you a noticeable change in the razor's personality. It doesn't take much; and it doesn't put a huge amount of pressure on the thread, stainless steel razors are definitely strong enough to handle these.

Please feel free to use it directly.

Top Bottom