What's new

How many of you did home economics vs. industrial arts?

Back in the 70s we had a choice in junior high school -- we could do home economics, industrial arts or both. Personally I did both and it was a great decision. We learned many practical skills in home economics, how to iron a shirt, how to sew oven mitts, how to hem pants, how to make a simple meal, how to serve food properly, etc.. Industrial arts was a breeze for most of us because back in those days we did lots of industrial type arts at home and in the woods nearby, building things and tinkering with metal and engines, etc. Kids miss out on so much these days...but that's another story.

What did you do? Home economics or industrial arts?

I took both. You never know when some of those hands-on skills will be useful. I still get enjoyment from workshop projects, auto repair, cooking and baking bread to this day. One thing these classes gave me is the willingness to try new things and learn by doing.

Mid/late-60s. I took electronics, which was an alternative to shop, which was essentially wood shop. No guy I knew took home ec. It would have been good if I had!

Growing up on a farm I had already learned how to use a welder and most of the hand/power tools that were part of shop, but I did take home ec and learned to sew and cook plus the class was all girls except two of us .....
When I got sent to the principles office ( I sometimes had trouble with an english teacher) I usually got sent out on a tractor to brush-hog the pasture the school owned. that probably would not happen now days....

We were required to do both. I'm glad I did. I got to rebuild a two stroke lawnmower engine and learned how to thread a sewing machine, neither of which I have done since, but it's great to know how they work. Most of my practical home ec came from my mom, and my practical shop came from working at Solo Cup.

I got my home ec at home from mom. I took everything industrial in school and have worked in industrial maintenance for the last 25+ years.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA

Never took home economics but mom always had my brother and I in the kitchen so don't think I missed out on any schooling. Took IA in grades seven to nine and with the exception of the ceramics portion I loved it (anyone looking for bird themed salt & pepper shakers?). Again, dad always had us either in the garage or shop at home so were pretty comfortable in IA. The teacher afforded the kids with that fundamental knowledge a ton of freedom and mostly let us do our own thing as long as we had a starting vision and could deliver a finished product. I'd love to have the metal lathe and milling machine from that shop, perfectly sized for home use.

Grades ten to twelve took visual arts and similar to IA really enjoyed it, in particular the b&w photography and offset printing (I'm sure I could still run a Heidelberg T press). Was even a little entrepreneurial and earned some beer money by making & selling novelty IDs with the school's equipment.

Top Bottom