What's new

How long will an unopened Carter Hall pouch last?

I'd like to add some Carter Hall to my cellar. When I priced it out at SP, the pouches are a better price for the amount I want.

50 pouches = 75oz = $172 = $2.293/oz
5 tubs = 70oz = $168.05 = $2.40/oz
10 tubs = 140oz = $325.70 = $2.326/oz (still not better than pouches.)

So the question is, after I buy 50 pouches of CH...how long will they last, because I don't want to open and transfer all of them to jars! lol!

No idea. Maybe you could stack them in an air tight ammo container? New one of course. Dont want the taste of 40 year old ammo and grease in your carter hall :lol:

With the stuff it's topped with, CH would last through Armageddon.

I mean... how long do you think those pouches sit on the shelves of random tobacco stores? Here in DE, we have stores that basically sell cigs, dip, and RYO supplies. They then have a deep dark corner with Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and other sundry OTC tobaccos that probably have been there for a decade.

With the stuff it's topped with, CH would last through Armageddon.

I mean... how long do you think those pouches sit on the shelves of random tobacco stores? Here in DE, we have stores that basically sell cigs, dip, and RYO supplies. They then have a deep dark corner with Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and other sundry OTC tobaccos that probably have been there for a decade.
You know, I assumed as much. I can't imagine it flies off the shelves at the grocery store I usually get them from, and its always fine. That said, I figured I'd confer with the experts here and also share my pricing OCD.

You know, I assumed as much. I can't imagine it flies off the shelves at the grocery store I usually get them from, and its always fine. That said, I figured I'd confer with the experts here and also share my pricing OCD.
I'm sure some would disagree with me, but I just don't think it'll ever dry out. :lol:

Right. So the real question of this thread is:

Has anyone ever had Carter Hall that was too dry? Ever?

I actually can give you some fun feedback on this one. I have a pouch of Carter Hall that I bought 2 years ago traveling. I smoked a bowl and tossed it in a small mason jar. I grabbed it last week and opened it up. Smelled like an expensive rich chocolate. Smoked smooth and delicious.

Since it's a better price buy for you in pouches, just buy up pouches and shove them into mason jars nice and tight unopened. Seal up the jar and you'll never have an issue. A nice square jar with the rubber gasket and flip lid would hold a 7-10 pouches I'd guess.

But the difference in pouches vs tubs is only $.03

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've had the pouches for a few months at a time, but nothing I stored long term. Got a tub over a year ago and put some in the tobacco jar in my pipe rack. The tub seems to seal well, which surprised me, and my tobacco jar has an O-ring that seals well but they have both been opened a few times and then closed back up.

Every time I pull some out it is fine. I was gone for a week last week and put some in the tobacco pouch I took with me that's not air tight, and what I had left was just fine when I got home yesterday and put it back in the tobacco jar.

I think an unopened pouch should be good for longer than I'll be alive.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I actually can give you some fun feedback on this one. I have a pouch of Carter Hall that I bought 2 years ago traveling. I smoked a bowl and tossed it in a small mason jar. I grabbed it last week and opened it up. Smelled like an expensive rich chocolate. Smoked smooth and delicious.

The only reason why bought a pouch is because I tried some that was delightfully old. It came with a couple of pipe stands, 4 pipes, and about a dozen other baggies of 'baccy. Most of the tobacco was dried out, but Cater Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh both had sponginess left in them. I wasn't a fan of the SWR, but the CH was delicious. The new pouch that I bought tastes nothing like the sample that I tried, so I intend to sit on the pouch for quite a while.

The only reason why bought a pouch is because I tried some that was delightfully old. It came with a couple of pipe stands, 4 pipes, and about a dozen other baggies of 'baccy. Most of the tobacco was dried out, but Cater Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh both had sponginess left in them. I wasn't a fan of the SWR, but the CH was delicious. The new pouch that I bought tastes nothing like the sample that I tried, so I intend to sit on the pouch for quite a while.

I really liked carter hall fresh but I REALLY liked it with a few years age as well. Certainly surprised me. CH is my go for a day outside piddling smoke.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have four OTC pouches that have been open for a few years and are stored in the wooden "humidor" that is built into a 6 pipe pipe stand. Certainly not an air tight seal by any means and I haven't moistened the do-dad in the lid in ages. The Carter Hall is slightly dry, but probably just fine. The Captain Black White and Royal pouches are still fairly moist with all the PG in them. The Half and Half is the driest of the bunch, but certainly not ruined. I do live in the humid south though.

Well, I got 25 pouches incoming. They will go in my cellar and stay there for a while. I suppose I'll see what happens!

Slightly off topic, I absolutely love the feel of digging tobacco out of a pouch. It feels right.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Well, I got 25 pouches incoming. They will go in my cellar and stay there for a while. I suppose I'll see what happens!

Slightly off topic, I absolutely love the feel of digging tobacco out of a pouch. It feels right.

Heh, heh. I usually do the old codger scoop also, if that's what you are talking about. Digging it out of the pouch with your fingers is good also...you can feel the tobacco. I usually just stuff the pipe bowl in and pack it with my forefinger.

Heh, heh. I usually do the old codger scoop also, if that's what you are talking about. Digging it out of the pouch with your fingers is good also...you can feel the tobacco. I usually just stuff the pipe bowl in and pack it with my forefinger.
Yeah, the codger scoop is exactly what I mean! It makes the tobacco taste better, and I don't think anyone can prove me wrong. :001_tongu

Reading this thread, and the comments about aged CH has me curious. Are the pouches going to age if left sealed? or do they need to be dumped into a mason jar, or at the vey least opened to break the seal before being placed into a jar to age?

If they don't need to be opened, then a lot of what is on store shelves now could be well aged, right?

Top Bottom