What's new

How long do brushes last in original retail box - unused

I've acquired quite a bit large number of shaving brushes and getting them all in the rotation seems unlikely. I want to save some for the future just in case, and these brushes include badgers and synthetics. I just wanna know if it's okay to keep them in their original boxes, unopened and unused. I suspect badger is protein substance and might need to "breathe". Is it okay to keep them as is, piled in some secret place where wife can't find them? Any feedback is appreciated.

I have a couple of eighties brushes that were still fine and one more on the way. It all depends on the quality of the glue really; hairs will remain good for centuries as will the handle. But when the glue deteriorates the brush will be gone.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok, going to buck the trend here.
Put 'em out. Put them right there with your other brushes.
Use them when the mood strikes you. You don't have to have a rotation plan, just use what you have whenever you want.

If you stick them away in a closet, you are denying yourself the happiness of using them, and that's why you bought them in the first place.
If you stick them in a closet instead of seeing them on a daily basis, you're more likely to buy more. Seeing them every morning will be a helpful reminder that you considered putting brand new brushes away in a closet.

Legion

Staff member
I've had NOS brushes from the 40's and 50's, and they were fine.

I'd say the biggest danger would be the glue holding the knot together breaking down, and the brush losing hairs when used. But if that were to happen it would take a long time, especially if the brush was stored away from extreme heat and UV light.

You need a shaving brush humidor!

JK, think they would be fine Indefinitely unless the storage location is super dry or super humid. The glue holding the knot in place drying out is the only issue I can see.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Several have spoken to the issue of glue breaking down. Exceptionally strong and durable glues are not new. I have a guitar made in 1885 using horse glue that still looks and plays just fine. I would think gluing a guitar neck or top would be more of a challenge than securing bristles.

Several have spoken to the issue of glue breaking down. Exceptionally strong and durable glues are not new. I have a guitar made in 1885 using horse glue that still looks and plays just fine. I would think gluing a guitar neck or top would be more of a challenge than securing bristles.
Good point.

Regular wood glue has held my broken Gibson Headstock together for almost 20 years and don’t expect that to change any time soon.

I’m curious. You want to save brushes for the future, just in case…? Just in case what?
Save, future, wife, can’t find, original box, secret place, piled, protein substance, breathe…
what‘s going on over there?
Just in case badger brush production comes to a halt due to superior animal rights or sth. Or some kind of an apocalypse, and no one can get new brushes anymore. You name it ;)

You could always try my old method - put your foot down and inform your wife that you are the boss and that, in your house, your word is final. Then, like me, you can spend many years being single and you can buy as many razors and brushes as you like 🤣
Interesting reply! When I moved out of my parents house back in 2003 I lived alone for 13 years until I met my wife in 2015 and subsequently got married. If I discovered this forum back in 2003 my house would have been full of razors and brushes!

Jason.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Another alternative would be to just sell some them, I have also a large rotation of brushes with synthetic & natural hair and I'm done for some time buying and just going to enjoy them. I find myself wanting to try the different grades of badger brushes and have 6 and that is enough.
Last night I bought on sale a Yaqi 24mm silver tip and that is all I want(I think :lol: ) I go on this impulse buying of lately and I never use to be like that.
The only good thing most of my shave gear has payed for itself by trimming my own hair for the last 4 years and not buying cartridge razors and canned gel. So I enjoy this hobby and threw a little money at it over a 4 year period with no regrets at all.

Interesting reply! When I moved out of my parents house back in 2003 I lived alone for 13 years until I met my wife in 2015 and subsequently got married. If I discovered this forum back in 2003 my house would have been full of razors and brushes!

Jason.
Yes, it would. But I am pretty sure you will buy a second razor. That moment might not be that far in the future.

Top Bottom