What's new

How long do brushes last in original retail box - unused

At my age, I don't have to worry about outlasting my brushes. I keep 5 brushes in my nightstand, and 5 (cleaned and boxed) in the basement. I rotate a couple when I get bored. I cleaned and banished a Simpson Rover to the basement for over 5 years because of shedding. I took it out last year, planning to get it re-knotted, and the dang thing no longer sheds. I wound up re-knotting a Rooney brush instead, and the Rover is back in regular rotation. I love its handle and fist-full of badger.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Thats the exact reason why I only have one razor and brush in my shave den. My wife doesn't mind me getting different soaps or blades as they are 'consumables' but she insisted that I only have one razor/brush I am really happy with.

Jason.
I still have to watch out for the postman and get to the door before he rings the bell. Once I have my purchases I have to hide them before they slowly make their way to the back of my shaving shelf.

I still have to watch out for the postman and get to the door before he rings the bell. Once I have my purchases I have to hide them before they slowly make their way to the back of my shaving shelf.
More or less my exact situation. Especially if the delivery's on an early Saturday morning. On weekdays she's gone, and I work from home so no problem.

If stored in a cool, dry, dark place, brushes should last for many decades. For maximum longevity, you might try sealing them in vacuum bags so they are not exposed to oxygen, but I am not sure that is necessary.

I have a boar brush that is now approaching 40 years old. It was left hanging in my shower for much of that time. The varnish has cracked and pealed from the handle, but the brush itself is still usable. I have now learned the error of my ways, so I now dry brushes thoroughly after each use and rotate among several brushes so I know the brushes do not stay damp. However, my brush cabinet is in the bathroom, so it is not an ideal place to store them, but I still expect my brushes to outlive me.

I have 15 brushes in rotation, but that pales in comparison to the 80 soaps I have in rotation. I am far more concerned about my best soaps going bad over time than I am the brushes.

Top Bottom