What's new

How light is light?

As many of you probably know, I've been struggling a bit to improve my honing. In re-reading several posts on the subject, noting that most talk about no more pressure than the weight of the blade itself, I noticed Bart's recommendation to exert '250-330g' of pressure in the Dilucot process up the finishing stage. So, I went to a local kitchen supply store. Using a demo scale, I felt what this pressure feels like on my finger tips. Applying this advice, I've taken my blades (using a HHT) from violining hairs to catching and cutting.

Now my question is, how do I move from catching and cutting to popping? My sense is that I should ease off the pressure to refine the edge even further, but I have not been successful yet. To the honemeisters out there, am I on the right track with this? Considering my honing stroke appears to have been too light, I wonder how light is light in the finishing stage. Should one truly exert no more than the weight of the razor at this stage or is a wee bit of pressure still indicated?

Thanks for asking this Mike, I am also confused by the pressure thing as when i look at any number of the honing videos it appears that a lot of them are using a good amount of pressure? I have started to apply some in my honing and starting to see better results. still a very elusive skill to acquire, I think i need to find a cheapo razor and just grind it to dust to get more practice.

Ian

I think i need to find a cheapo razor and just grind it to dust to get more practice.

Agreed. I notice my Le Grelots are getting a lot of hone wear as I try to acquire this skill myself. I'm thinking I should buy a cheap razor to practice on instead, but alas, I think the damage is done.

Top Bottom