What's new

How I'm doing, so far

Hey all. I've been enjoying wet shaving as a hobby for almost five years now, but mostly with DEs and my beloved vintage Schick injector. I'd tried SR shaving a few years ago, and while I loved the IDEA, I quickly became overwhelmed and gave up. But now that I'm back to sporting a mustache rather than a beard, I'm enjoying (almost) full-face shaves again, and the call of the straight razor has come again.

I originally bought a refurbed starter razor from whippeddog, and later a new Ralf Aust honed by the vendor, but I've always feared I messed up the edge in my beginner stropping (I definitely put a little slice in that strop at one point). Worse, I somehow got rid of the strop in my last move, so I decided to get back into this with two viable razors but no strop and no certainty that either razor doesn't need honing.

While I've waited for a strop to arrive (and treated myself to a particularly gorgeous Portland Razor custom 6/8 Spanish point because, well, it's so pretty), I went back to the Feather SS I'd picked up back then to work on my basic technique. So that's where I am right now: about three or four shaves in with the Feather, steadily making progress.

The first revelation, I think, was what everyone really meant by a slick, thinner lather. I'd gotten away with thicker lathers for safety razor shaving, but until I actually focused on wet, slathery slickness, I was still getting a tugging feeling from the razor. That much is more dialed in now, for sure.

The second big help with the Feather SS was using a shallower angle than I'd initially thought. I'm still learning the balance between that shallower approach and just the right pressure to engage the rounded lip, but in general it's starting to make sense.

I can get through my right and left cheeks, neck, and the flat part of my chin with the Feather, but beyond that I've been reaching for my injector to finish those trickier parts of my chin and under my lower lip. I'm still not as confident finding the right angle with the Feather there while also being able to give the stroke enough energy to avoid tugging, while also avoiding cuts or irritation.

Last week, I gave myself a classic SR cut just below my jaw due to holding the Feather against my skin while not paying attention; pretty sure I turned the blade to a steep angle. I didn't even feel it cut, and the blood was minimal, but it certainly left a mark for the next few days. :)

I'm happy to say, though, that yesterday's shave was completely nick-, cut-, and irritation-free! Still getting the tough spots with my injector, but the confidence is building. I've been shaving every other day since these shaves are so close I hardly need to shave the next day, but I'm tempted to shave again this morning just to get more practice in.

Meantime, I'm hopeful that my familiarity with the Feather SS will set me up for success with my real straights. Also on the agenda: stropping with confidence, and soon enough, learning to hone. I'm finding this whole process very gratifying.

Great progress report!

After beginning with traditional SRs, the Feather SS quickly became my go-to, since I lack ability to maintain edges of the SRs long term. The Feather SS is a great tool! The skills definitely translate to traditional SRs too!

If you get the chance, you may also like a vintage Weck. Feels even closer to a regular SR, but uses disposable hair shaper blades.

If you get the chance, you may also like a vintage Weck. Feels even closer to a regular SR, but uses disposable hair shaper blades.

Interesting, I'll look into it. Along those lines, I've toyed with the idea of trying a Feather DX at some point down the line, to see if it's a bit closer to a straight in terms of pressure and feel (given that it doesn't use that skin-stretching bump near the edge). Another thing I'll try in the nearer term once I'm more confident is the Pro Super blades. Right now I'm working with the standard Pro blades, which haven't been as scary as I feared.

Yesterday's shave was once again with the folding Feather SS (Pro blade on about its fifth use), this time with the lovely Proraso Red cream and matching aftershave. I got through most of my face with the Feather, using, as before, my injector to clean up the few patches I missed. No irritation, and at most one weeper, though a few times I think I was close to more. Despite still stumbling along here, I have to say these shaves are ridiculously close. I really don't need to shave the next day, much as I want the practice.

The trickiest areas for me are the chin (of course), but also the back corners of the upper neck, where I haven't yet figured out how to get a good view on what's going on, and flatten the skin enough that the curves don't get me. The jawline itself is no problem, since stretching the skin up does the trick there.

Oh, and as ever, I still stop short of a truly slick-enough lather, as the second-pass lather, mixing as it does with more water from my face, was just that much better.

With a replacement strop set to arrive this evening, as of tomorrow I'm going to switch to a proper straight razor and continue from there. I have to assume the Feather SS has set me up nicely for a real SR. I'm looking forward to it.

Interesting, I'll look into it. Along those lines, I've toyed with the idea of trying a Feather DX at some point down the line, to see if it's a bit closer to a straight in terms of pressure and feel (given that it doesn't use that skin-stretching bump near the edge). Another thing I'll try in the nearer term once I'm more confident is the Pro Super blades. Right now I'm working with the standard Pro blades, which haven't been as scary as I feared.

The DX has a shoulder which is not unlike the lobe on the SS.

Now that I have an undamaged strop available, I feel good about switching to a real straight razor. So this morning I had my first shave with my brand new Portland Razor Co. 6/8 quarter hollow carbon steel razor (which is a beauty, mind you). Since my previous tries with a real SR were full hollow and I found them to be a bit chattery, I was curious to see how this would feel.

Overall, no real damage or irritation, but I'm still awkward in the usual places (back corners of the top of the neck, and of course the chin). There's definitely more of a "scraping" sound and texture compared to the Feather SS, but I noticed that I got less of a tugging feel when I was more confident with my strokes. Some of the strokes on my cheeks were pretty nice, though I wouldn't necessarily say "like butter." Had to finish up with an injector, as usual, and while part of me wants to just magically be instantly good at the SR, more objectively, this was a pretty good shave given it's early days.

This morning I was using B&M Seville in the new Excelsior base. I don't have this one totally dialed in yet, though I certainly tried to hydrate it a bunch. Still, areas of lather dried out quicker than I expected so I wasn't always getting the slickness I needed. Slickness with DEs and SEs has never been as crucial as it is with SRs; that's quite obvious to me at this point!

Now, hopefully I can strop properly and take good care of this beautiful razor, as I'm very much looking forward to many more shaves as I learn.

I find that reapplying the lather frequently helps prevent it from drying on your face. If the lather isn't rinsing off the blade cleanly, and evenly, it's too dry. Add more water (especially with B&M), and reapply!

Figured it'd be worth posting an update. I haven't been counting my shaves (oops!), but I'd guess I'm at around shave six or seven with my Portland Razor 6/8 quarter hollow, and that was after about five or six shaves with the Feather SS.

I'm very happy to say that my technique and confidence are both coming along well. My left hand is a lot less awkward (though still not all there yet, of course). I can now move below my jaw and onto my neck with a lot more confidence, and even my chin, while still awkward, feels less insurmountable. I still give myself some irritation here and there and the occasional nick (certainly on this last shave), but also on this last shave I had fewer patches to clean up with my injector than ever before.

My focus continues to be on making a properly slick lather, which means more water than I was used to with DE/SE shaving; and also on experimenting with how light my pressure can be while still engaging blade to whisker. I'm noticing the importance of a confident stroke, one that has momentum, which can be combined with light pressure to avoid the tugging I felt when I first started. The razor needs some movement to slice through the hairs! Too tentative, and it feels like it doesn't want to cut. It's interesting combining the caution of a beginner with the momentum needed for a good stroke.

I'm finding this very satisfying! I did put two tiny nicks in my strop this morning, I think because I was becoming a bit cocky with my stropping. I also ordered a Feather DX (folding, teak wood) because when I go back to the Feather AC system for travel or variety, I'd like something that much closer to a real straight. Plus, I figure the DX can only sharpen (hah) my technique.

Figured it'd be worth posting an update. I haven't been counting my shaves (oops!), but I'd guess I'm at around shave six or seven with my Portland Razor 6/8 quarter hollow, and that was after about five or six shaves with the SS.

I'm very happy to say that my technique and confidence are both coming along well. My left hand is a lot less awkward (though still not all there yet, of course). I can now move below my jaw and onto my neck with a lot more confidence, and even my chin, while still awkward, feels less insurmountable. I still give myself some irritation here and there and the occasional nick (certainly on this last shave), but also on this last shave I had fewer patches to clean up with my injector than ever before.

My focus continues to be on making a properly slick lather, which means more water than I was used to with DE/SE shaving; and also on experimenting with how light my pressure can be while still engaging blade to whisker. I'm noticing the importance of a confident stroke, one that has momentum, which can be combined with light pressure to avoid the tugging I felt when I first started. The razor needs some movement to slice through the hairs! Too tentative, and it feels like it doesn't want to cut. It's interesting combining the caution of a beginner with the momentum needed for a good stroke.

I'm finding this very satisfying! I did put two tiny nicks in my strop this morning, I think because I was becoming a bit cocky with my stropping. I also ordered a Feather DX (folding, teak wood) because when I go back to the Feather AC system for travel or variety, I'd like something that much closer to a real straight. Plus, I figure the DX can only sharpen (hah) my technique.
:a14::a19:

Oh and here's a picture to commemorate this morning's satisfying shave. :001_cool:

IMG_0488.jpeg

This morning I decided to finally try my new Feather DX (folding) which arrived last week. I knew this would merit more caution, so I was pretty careful about using a light tough. I used a Feather Pro blade, which is what I'd used with the SS. Right away I really liked that the blade angle is closer, if not equivalent, to a real straight razor. Everything was cruising along fine until I went right through a small bump or blemish on my neck, and wow did that blade just shear it right off, which stung and led to some slightly dramatic-looking blood. One thing's for sure: those Feather Pro blades are very sharp and unforgiving of any blemishes ... just merrily mowing through them, whereas my SR would have skipped over it, I think. I also ended up with three or four tiny weepers elsewhere, but those stopped quickly.

No crazy alum sting, and overall I found the DX more approachable than I'd feared. I'd prefer to get through a shave without seeing any red, of course, but at the same time there's something satisfying about knowing I'm working with a very sharp blade. I'm confident my skills will continue to improve and the DX will eventually be smooth and worry-free, as will my normal straight.

The teak wood DX is a great razor. I hope your shaves are continuing to improve. That you are learning to use a very light touch, especially around your chin. Though this is also an area that needs a confident stroke to have some momentum (with a light touch) as you mentioned earlier.

Indeed, the DX does not have the "lip bulge" just before the blade that the Feather SS has.

Meantime, with my focus primarily on my traditional straights, with an occasional DX shave thrown in there, my technique is improving bit by bit. I'm now much more confident with the blade on my skin overall, and I have a better sense of blade sharpness (my Portland Razor feels ready for a touch-up, while going back to a Ralf Aust I'd bought years ago before I really committed to SR shaving was great, since the puppy is still nicely sharp). I can also confirm that, yes, compared to a standard SR, a new Feather blade in something like the DX is very, very sharp and unforgiving. Have yet to have a Feather shave that didn't involve a few tiny weepers, though I'm impressed by its efficiency.

Probably my biggest area for improvement right now is going across and against the grain with my left hand. For across and against, I use my right hand for the left side of my face, and vice versa. For some reason my left hand just hasn't learned those motions well yet; angles and momentum are still quite awkward. Happly, my WTG left hand-left side is going well!

SR shaving is feeling familiar now, and really not scary. Going back to a safety razor feels a bit like cheating, or even a little cheap, though there's no doubt it's still the faster option.

I wasn't trying to be pedantic but there exists confusion as to the differences between the SS and the DX and your statement rather muddied the waters somewhat.
I deliberately avoided buying the SS because I couldn't see the logic of having to train myself to apply pressure to the bulge, I abide by the principle of zero pressure having learned the hard, bloody, way. So I bought the DX Kamisori and have 40 shaves under my belt. Even so it is very easy to draw blood, especially with a new blade. I get about 16 shaves from a blade.
I fully agree with you that reverting to a safety razor, in my case Vector SE, is definitely cheating and short changing the experience. Switching to the left hand represents a leap of faith but so far so good and progress is being made.
Funny isn't it how a hitherto dreary chore can become an interesting and satisfying challenge.
Happy shaves!

My DX doesn't. Might you be confusing it with the RG?
Feather DX Vs SS Razor
Or perhaps I am unclear as to the distinction between lobe and shoulder.

Well take a look at the DX. You will see that there is a right angle shoulder where it holds onto the blade. That actually acts something like the guard on a safety razor from my understanding.

I think of angled cutout on the DX as a secondary bevel. Allowing the razor to be used at a shallower angle (maybe coming more into play when using the shorter "Light" blades). In contrast to having a protruding bulge like the SS.

This morning was my first time honing on my own (outside of a honing class I attended at the beginning of the month). I gave my Portland Razor a touch-up on my Naniwa 12k. Any doubts I may have had about whether my honing sharpened things up vanished when I almost gave myself a nice long slice on my cheek. As it is a left an almost-cut long red mark (that, thankfully, faded). Definitely got the razor sharp again and it shaved two-three days growth no problem. Maybe a bit spooked by the sharpness, though, I finished with a second pass using my injector. Glad to know my honing isn’t worthless, though! There’ll be a lot more to learn there.

(Oh, and yes, I lapped the Naniwa on my DMT lapping plate first. Seemed to do its job well.)

Top Bottom