What's new

How has YOUR shave changed?

Has anyone else noticed a change in their routine as they become a, do I dare say it, expert DE technician?
With so many different products to choose from, there's no such thing as "routine" for me.

The only constant in my shave-rotation is Thayers Lavender WH ... soaps/creams/razors/blades/asl/asb all change, but no matter what else I use on any given day, Thayers goes into every shave.

I'm still fumbling in trying to improve my prep when I don't shower.

After I shower, I have it pretty much nailed down, and I too like to slather on gallons of Witch Hazel. Proraso pre-shave, lather, 3 passes, WH, WH, A/S, Balm.

I have stopped with the hot towels, but just might start that up again.

Plus, SWMBO has, with my agreement, limited the number of software I can have on the sink at one time. Any 3, soaps, creams in tubes, and creams in tubs. I am planning on changing it once a week.

Before our treaty, I had it all out and it was indeed, encroaching into her sink space.

Well, I started in college with a puck of William's and a cheap VDH brush since it was cheaper than a can of Barbasol (my food & household budget was heavily biased toward home-brewing pursuits), but it's only been the last year or so that I've been swinging the old-school blades.

In that time, I've cut my passes down to two (WTG and either ATG or XTG+45ish) with both straights and DEs. That, and I take less time doing it for far superior results. I've slowed down on acquiring soaps, creams, aftershaves, hey, the works! I think most of the ADs start as a means to experience the buffet, but we don't always know when we're full.

When I first started back into DE shaving, I had trouble with completing two passes primarily because of sensitive dry skin as well as a heavy hand with the razor. Now I am able to do two passes easily along with a "touch up" third pass with no razor burn. The difference is a combination of a milder razor, better "software" and much improved technique. I have also acquired a goodly supply of different soaps/creams and I find I am now enjoying the shave itself as well as the result.

Well, I've gotten faster as I require fewer passes. And I don't need to go against the grain very often lately. Prolly 'cause I shave every day now. Just a bit of XTG as a chin touch-up. And very much less blood drawn. I'd gotten sloppy for a little while but I "tightened up" and in the past three weeks, I had just two tiny weepers. And these were on the last shave of that particular blade. :001_smile

Another thing is I have learned which blades will work with specific razors, which also speeds up the process. :001_cool:

I don't wish to get any faster. Shaving is "me" time. I dig it! :biggrin1:

I guess I am the opposite of most of you guys. If anything, my shaving routine has become more elaborate and more enjoyable. :001_smile

First, I am now using a hot towel for at least one minute. It may not improve my shaving, but I find it very enjoyable and relaxing. Since I shower after I shave this step is important. I have modified Kyle's prep a bit to just using Proraso pre shave on my face before applying the towel. After the hot towel I rub in some TH pre shave (to which I had added some glycerin) into my beard before lathering.

Second, I now use uberlather in a bowl and find this to be the best change I made. I now get consistently great lather no matter what soap or cream I use.

Third, I still do four passes. The only change I can readily see is that there is less of a need to touch up since I am getting a BBS without it.

I agree on the enjoyment of the towel, but with restricted time in the morning (45 minutes from wake up to out the door) I've cut all of the extras. Out of curiosity, how long are your shaves, and how long have you been wet shaving?

Mine has reduced a lot too. No more scrubbing, hot towel then pre-shave oil then bowl lather to shave.

Now its cleanse with hot water with my bar of soap, load my brush on soap, face lather, rinse with warm water then cold water then apply asb.

I do 2 passes wtg, then one xtg, but im wondering if I should try 1 wtg & 1 xtg as im finding it hard to shave my neck xtg without cutting myself(or if I dont cut myself its not as smooth as id like)

Cheers

Agree with the OP, my routine has changed a bit, primarily in the actual shaving area. My pre-shave, after-shave, and cleanup has been about the same for several months, the last major change being about 6 months ago, when I started using an alum block. The main change is in the evolution of the actual straight shave, which started as 3 passes, lots of irritation, lots of weepers, not very close, etc. Over time, each of those parameters has improved, to the point where I am now down to 2 passes, irritation free, close to BBS shave. As a result, the overall time has dropped to under 20min. The 2 passes are still evolving as well - for the 2nd pass, I go ATG on my neck and up the cheeks, but not able to follow the jawline up the chin, so I have to resort to XTG on the chin.

Well the big one is that basically Method shave every day now. But for the days I bust out the brush and cream, I always use pre-shave oil and no longer shave ATG. Those are probably the two big ones. I have never really spent a ton of time on prep, I much prefer to shave after the shower.

Top Bottom