What's new

How has YOUR shave changed?

One thing I've noticed with myself (I assume others have noticed something similar) is that once I had shaving "down" in regards to every aspect of the shave, my routine naturally started to condense itself. Certain steps were just no longer required to achieve a proper shave. I'm sure most of which could be contributed to technique.

I no longer use "Kyle's Prep", I cut out the pre-shave oil, I simply make sure my face is hot and moist. My shave has condensed to two passes from three, my post shave is down to a cold rinse and aftershave from a hot rinse, cold rinse, witch hazel, cold rinse, AS and later ASB... Still BBS shaves and no irritation.

Has anyone else noticed a change in their routine as they become a, do I dare say it, expert DE technician?

I've noticed the same quality of shaves lately. I'm learning about the importance of pre-shave preparation and the quality of my shaves has improved immensely. I shave pretty much WTG and 2 passes now for a DFS. Thanks in large part to advice from B&B :thumbup:.

Yes, my shaves became shorter, more efficient, and it's a rare day when I get a nick or weeper. I'm also changing up razors and blades regularly and getting good to great shaves from anything I use. It's a lot of fun, but am beginning to question whether I really need so many different razors.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I used shaving oil but found out it didn't change much... I used kyle's prep on top of a shower but was not getting better shaves because of it. Sure, it's more enjoyable but I also don't have the proper towels to do so...

My shaves are now quicker since I face lather instead of bowl lather. I prefer the end result and I don't have to clean a bowl at the end. Love it!

I think that turning a chore into a hobby is quite interesting and would hope that I could to that when I pass the vaccum!

Personally, my favorite step to skip was "cutting the living hell out of myself" tm. For a while I would never skip this step, especially the first couple times I used my a feather blade or my slant. Though as I practic I find this step is totally unnecessary! Every now and again I seem to do it for old times sake, but really why bother with it every shave?!?!?

I have also cut down on my routine. I went from bowl to face lathering. I now use two passes (XTG, ATG) instead of three (WTG, XTG, ATG). I also quit using an alum block prior to putting on aftershave.

Like the OP, my routine has been significantly cut. I no longer use a hot towel before the shave, and I've also stopped applying the shaving cream, rubbing it in with my fingers, rinsing, and the reapplying cream for the first pass.

I do still maintain three passes, but even without the extra prep, my results are consistent and satisfying.

My shave has changed in so many ways. Down to just 2 passes from 3 or 4, prep is shorter, as well as clean-up. The whole process is better and more satisfying.

I'm still open to new things, and improvements. and I'm not sure if one ever really gets things perfect.

With that said I'm very comfortable doing any shave with a DE or a straight, but I am, and probable always will be, still learning. :tongue_sm :w00t: :001_rolle

Pretty much the same experience as the OP here. Of course, I never had the 97-step routine that I see so many with on here. I am primarily WTG, XTG, with some extra effort on the neck and chin areas. All in all, I do the 3 S's in the morning in 30-40 mins with most of the time allotted to the Shave for enjoyment purposes as much as anything.

I noticed very much the same things that you have stated. I have reduced the number of passes and found what gives me great results. I shave after a shower and I make pretty good time. All in all I say that I have improved, and have become even more efficient.

I haven't simplified all that much. I've experimented with hot towel preps, pre-shave oils and such, but never latched on to them.

I can go a pretty darn fast when I have to, but I still enjoy the time spent on a three pass shave.

One thing has gotten slower since I started...the time spent dumbly staring at all that stuff, trying to choose what to use was absent at first.

I like Loric's skipped step. I've been leaving that out, too, but even posting about it makes me think the styptic pencil might get a workout tonight. :lol:

I've tried most of the techniques that get mentioned here (pre-lather, hot towels etc) but keep going back to a simple yet enjoyable routine that gives me time to myself in the morning but allows me to get out in time to tend to my two year-old.
I have a timer on my bathroom fan, so I set it for half an hour when I go in and aim to be out before it shuts off. When the fan is on, it's my little bit of me-time in the morning:thumbup1:

I guess I am the opposite of most of you guys. If anything, my shaving routine has become more elaborate and more enjoyable. :001_smile

First, I am now using a hot towel for at least one minute. It may not improve my shaving, but I find it very enjoyable and relaxing. Since I shower after I shave this step is important. I have modified Kyle's prep a bit to just using Proraso pre shave on my face before applying the towel. After the hot towel I rub in some TH pre shave (to which I had added some glycerin) into my beard before lathering.

Second, I now use uberlather in a bowl and find this to be the best change I made. I now get consistently great lather no matter what soap or cream I use.

Third, I still do four passes. The only change I can readily see is that there is less of a need to touch up since I am getting a BBS without it.

After 40+ years I think I have my routine down. What has changed is that now I take the time to enjoy the process even with an occasional variation for what ever reason. Stop and smell the roses (or Tabac).:biggrin1:

I started down this road by learning to face-lather with Williams while still using my Atra. Then I moved to DE razors, but my basic routine has changed very little since then. I experimented with bowl lathering, then went back to face lathering. I started without pre-shave oil, tried it for a while, and decided it didn't improve anything. Never used alum or witch hazel. Tried after shave for a little while, and decided that wasn't needed either.

What has changed is my choice of razors, now mostly injectors and SE, and my efficiency in handling them. I find the right angle now without really thinking about it, and I know what changes in direction are needed on different parts of my face. I've also gotten better at making a no-fail lather, whether I'm using a slightly finicky soap, or a can't miss cream.

That's the key, I think, not the specific details of one's routine, but just increasing confidence and skill in using the equipment.

That's the key, I think, not the specific details of one's routine, but just increasing confidence and skill in using the equipment.

Shaving is alot like Golf. In Golf, once you get your swing to the point where it comes naturally and you don't really have to think about it, the game becomes much more relaxing and enjoyable no matter your handicap. Who cares about the details, we're all different. When your routine works for you, you'll know. "May the Force be with you" and enjoy.

Got rid of the hot towel and a lot of the other useless (for me) prep. Now it's cold water, lather, shave, and repeat. After the shave comesome WH and some balm.

After 40+ years I think I have my routine down. What has changed is that now I take the time to enjoy the process even with an occasional variation for what ever reason. Stop and smell the roses (or Tabac).:biggrin1:

+1. I should have added the same message to my post.

My routine never got elaborate in the first place.

1.Start the hot water at a trickle--run a little water on the VDH puck

2.Go feed the cat--take my meds/check glucose level etc(diabetic)--check e-mail

By the time I come back to the bathroom the water is good and hot

3.Rub my face with hot water--build a lather--rub my face again with hot water--apply lather

4.One pass ATG--do touch ups on the neck after rinsing a little

5.Second "S"

6.Shower to clean it all- up so to speak. 30-45 mins total depending on the mood--time pressure and how long I play on the computer.

Have had that "general" routine for over 30 years now--have always shaved before the shower and that won't be changing any time soon. Didn't have the computer-cat-or diabetes 30 years ago.

Top Bottom