What's new

How does one get the tiny soap samples into a bowl?

I got two tiny soap samples from Maggard's. They are the soft soap, not the hard soap.

How does one get the soap out of the lip balm sized container and into a bowl in order to make lather?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I've only used hard soap pucks in the past. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Smear a small amount (maybe a third or quarter) of the sample into a bowl and load your brush from there. Note "smear" not compact.

Enjoy...

Smear a small amount (maybe a third or quarter) of the sample into a bowl and load your brush from there. Note "smear" not compact.

Enjoy...
Thanks! [emoji4] I'll try that tomorrow.

I would use my finger to extract all of the sample out of the little container it came in and put it into a bowl. Smear it in the bottom of the bowl. I'm not sure it would really matter if you pressed it down into the bowl as others have said not to do. I'm curious why you say that. Once all of the soap sample is in a bowl you can then load your brush and work up a nice lather to test it out.

I would use my finger to extract all of the sample out of the little container it came in and put it into a bowl. Smear it in the bottom of the bowl. I'm not sure it would really matter if you pressed it down into the bowl as others have said not to do. I'm curious why you say that. Once all of the soap sample is in a bowl you can then load your brush and work up a nice lather to test it out.
In my experiences, smearing it semi-lightly and not deep into the depths of the bowl ridges, allows for an easier time to load the soap onto the brush. I dont bowl lather, and only use the bowl to aid loading the brush before face lathering.

In my early sample days, i took the whole sample and flattened it into the bottom of a used tub and loaded. I found i couldnt get proper results doing this until i stumbled onto the smear technique. YMMV.

In my experiences, smearing it semi-lightly and not deep into the depths of the bowl ridges, allows for an easier time to load the soap onto the brush. I dont bowl lather, and only use the bowl to aid loading the brush before face lathering.

In my early sample days, i took the whole sample and flattened it into the bottom of a used tub and loaded. I found i couldnt get proper results doing this until i stumbled onto the smear technique. YMMV.

Gotcha. I actually press my samples into empty tubs or shallow but somewhat wide 3D printed little dishes that are the perfect size for samples. I use them to load the brush and then just move to the bowl as usual. This seems to work for me. YMMV indeed.

Gotcha. I actually press my samples into empty tubs or shallow but somewhat wide 3D printed little dishes that are the perfect size for samples. I use them to load the brush and then just move to the bowl as usual. This seems to work for me. YMMV indeed.
Yep that would work.

The key takeaway for the OP is to not think to just swirl the brush over a tiny little sample jar. But i think they already knew that!

OP - please report back and also, what samples did you get??

Thanks, everyone! I got lavender and bergamot/lime.

It doesn't sound as complicated as I thought, since I'll just need to load the brush but will lather on my skin.

I'll let you know how it goes, since this will be my first experience with soft soap of any brand. I figured I'd order samples to see if I like the scents, rather than buy full tubs, only to dislike the scents.

I've been using the back of my thumbnail to scrape off some Maggards Limes & Berg, then squishing it on my face. I face lather from there, but it takes a bit more time.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If I bowl lather a cream or a croap I usually smear some with my finger into the bottom of the bowl and then use the brush. I think the smear effect works best.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Small tea spoon, or what I use is a little ice cream spoon I kept now for years for just such occasions.

Enjoy...

+1! That should do the trick!

Alternatively, you can use the sample as a ‘stick’ by smearing it on your face then face lathering.

Generally I find that 1/4 teaspoon measure is all the soap I need for one shave ( some need less, but few need more). So I use that to scoop out enough from the tiny sample container and then I press or smear it into the bottom of my lather bowl.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I just scoop it out with my finger, and plop it into my test bowl. I squish it down a bit so it stays put. Add water and stir - literally. Works fine, every time.

I read all the above with amazement and envy! I have never, ever had any success making these small soap samples into a useable lather despite having tried every method listed. I find the samples useful only for getting an idea of the scent.

I finally used the little soft soap sample. I scooped about ¼ of it, put it in a bowl, and pressed it down. Then I wet my brush. It worked. [emoji4] I got a nice lather, and the lavender soap smells great too.

I finally used the little soft soap sample. I scooped about ¼ of it, put it in a bowl, and pressed it down. Then I wet my brush. It worked. [emoji4] I got a nice lather, and the lavender soap smells great too.

Congrats! Now you don’t need to be afraid of buying tonnes of samples! Make a month of it sometime.

Top Bottom