What's new

How does one get started playing golf?

I have never played golf before, but almost all my colleagues and those above me at work do, so I think it might be a good idea to take the sport up.

I have done some Googling, and it seems like the best way to start is getting a used set of clubs and taking some lessons to set a good foundation. How much should I be looking at spending for lessons? I think most people put used clubs around $300-$500 for a used set (nothing fancy or top-of-the-line).

Any tips would be great.

Hi Matthew,

Golf can be fun and also very frustrating. Used clubs are a good start. Check on Craigslist or with some local shops. Lessons are good, but can get pricey fast. You will want to spend a LOT of time at the driving range. That gives you opportunity to get in a lot of reps in a short period of time.

I would call the public or municipal courses in Matthews and Charlotte to find some lessons. That should be cheaper than private clubs or range pros.

Good luck!

Seems you live in a great place for golf! These are just my thoughts on your inquiry. Firstly, perhaps hold off on buying clubs just for a bit. Maybe think about a set after a couple lessons. Research your area for a club which employs a good pro to help with your lessons. The club should have some bones for you to use during your lessons (hopefully) without extra charge - ask about demo sets. Cost of lessons would vary. Keep in mind you may not need to spend a lot at say a less-uppiddy club. Check out some local par - 3 courses for lessons. I would imagine 8-10 solid hour long lessons with a good pro will help greatly and start you off on a good path, along with practice at a range on your own in between lessons. In my experience, golf is quite a difficult game and nothing helps more than time on the range hitting balls. The notion quality over quantity may come into play when battering balls on the range - try not to burn yourself out the first few times by hitting too many balls. As I mentioned, lessons with a good pro will surprise you quickly, with noticeable, rapid progress towards a good swing after a handful of sessions with said good pro. I would recommend lessons over self-taught 100% (unless your 4 or 5 years old. Apologies if you are indeed that age or around that age. Why are you shaving at age 5!?!) . Also spending time on and around a practice green is very important. Many would suggest learning the game "from the hole -> outwards" is a good notion. Practice at the range, lessons, and time on the practice greens are important before spending the bigbucks for an actual round. Find your groove before defacing a well manicured, slab of flora and fauna which maps out the magnificent 4 hour voyage we call a sport - golf - life. :blink:

Try to remember, its all for fun. No point in getting discouraged, there will be times when you just cannot figure out whats going wrong with your swing and your golf balls will fly in directions you cant explain. Patience and confidence are key in golf. Anger and frustration will only get you an uncomfortable walk through the bush. Alone. In shame.

I could go on and on about golf. May I suggest picking up a copy of Harvey Penick's - Little Red Book. And if you haven't already, start watching the PGA and LPGA more. :thumbup1: Good luck, and Have fun!

Oh ya, and please dress well.

Last edited:
Used clubs are the way to go. Don't be afraid to check out a local golf store too, as they sell used stuff sometimes. One of the best values for lessons is to start out with a group lesson, as it will be cheaper than working one-on-one with someone. Golf can be a very challenging sport to learn and play well, but a good instructor can make the challenges a lot more enjoyable.

Ask some of your coworkers that already play if they have a recommendation for lessons, or for an instructor. You can usually use loaner clubs for group lessons sometimes too, before you decide what to buy. Mark Twain wasn't that far off when he said "Golf is a good walk, spoiled." But, it can be a very rewarding walk as well with the right skills.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions about equipment, etc. I was lucky enough to have a dad that played a lot of golf, and he got me hooked, but I still take lessons each month because I like to play well.

:thumbup1:

I took group lessons at the local park district golf learning center. Not too expensive and a chance to hit buckets of balls with some help from a coach. Equipment doesn't matter too much starting out unless you are odd sized (really tall or really short). Eventually you will get really into equipment anyway :). I build my own clubs. It's addicting.

Also I will add that your initial learning curve will probably depend on what kind of sports you've played growing up. If you're really good at eye hand coordination sports like baseball or tennis (swinging and hitting sports I guess) you will learn much faster in my opinion. If those aren't your thing, be prepared to not be that good at first.

Last edited:
Do NOT buy a full set of clubs. Not even a used set. Do yourself a favour . . . buy a small number of used clubs and take some lessons from a local pro. You will be able to get recommends from your colleagues. Do NOT take advice from them, except for what "pro" to use for lessons. Get yourself the following as a starter set.

Putter - get a putter that feels good to you and suits your eye. A heavier putter head will allow for a more pendulum-like swing, which is important. Second, when comfortable in your stance, the Putter should allow your eyes to be directly over the ball . . . also important.
Wedge - this is for short shots that occur near the green, generally for use from 100 yds and closer.
Sand Wedge - same as above, but designed to make bunker shots easier. Can also be used from heavy rough near the greens.
Irons - get yourself three as you already have two wedges, I would suggest a 4, 6, and 8 iron. These will be what you hit from the fairways and first cut of rough to advance the ball.
3 or 5 Wood - I know, they're made of metal so why do they still call them Woods? Because Golf is silly that way . . . Regardless of what the Manufacturer wants to call it you are looking for one with about 15' of loft, maybe 13'.

YOU DO NOT NEED A DRIVER WHEN YOU ARE A BEGINNER !!!

You will notice that I listed the clubs that hit the ball the shortest distance FIRST. this is because you will improve most quickly by improving your abilities with these clubs. Think about it . . . most of your shots will come from a distance of 100 yds to the green/'hole and CLOSER. Improving your skills with those clubs will dramatically improve your scores. Check youtube for videos by Dave Pelz.

The clubs listed above will get you started, and do so inexpensively too. Spend the money you saved on lessons with a pro in order to learn the basics. You will not look like the guys who have spent thousands on their gear, but that will just make things so much sweeter for you when you prove to be competitive with them, which will take time, but should not be impossible.

Then, when you've decided that golf is for you, you can look into a full set, and possibly getting fitted. but that will be next season.

good luck.

Oh, and you do not have to spend NEARLY as much as you think, particularly if you go with the set I described above. Also, DEFINITELY buy Harvey Penick's little red book. Not only for what it can teach you about the game, but for the appreciation of the sport itself.

$300-$500 for a used set????? What? That sounds crazy to me. A nice new beginner set could be less than that.

I bought my set of clubs at Goodwill. Under $40 for the entire set, and it's a pretty decent set (good enough for a golf newbie like me anyway). If you are in a golf heavy area (like I was in Florida when I bought them), you'd be surprised at what you can find at Goodwill.

I just started golfing with a couple coworkers once a week. Next time out will be the 10th time I've golfed in my life. I'm having a blast.

I think the best thing starting out is to play with others who don't take the game too seriously.
Otherwise it isn't fun.
Also, when the big names come out with new models the price on the older models drops substantially.
if you are just starting to play, last years models will do you right.

Maybe get lessons, or if you have a patient buddy at work, ask him or her to teach you how to play. One of the courses I played at in high school had some beat up drivers/woods that people could borrow for the driving range. Not sure if this is common.

Good luck! It's one of those games that has a steep learning curve. It's difficult to play consistently well. Can be very frustrating. Very mental.

Sort of reminds me of pool/billiards in that respect.

Oh, and get a glove or you will probably get some blisters on that first time out!

Thank you all for the advice. This will definitely give me a good start.

Learn to cuss more and to throw your clubs a long ways

Do I throw the clubs at the ground, in the air, or at people? I supposed I should throw that at whomever is winning, eh? :tongue_sm

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Do NOT buy a full set of clubs. Not even a used set. Do yourself a favour . . . buy a small number of used clubs and take some lessons from a local pro. You will be able to get recommends from your colleagues. Do NOT take advice from them, except for what "pro" to use for lessons. Get yourself the following as a starter set.

Putter - get a putter that feels good to you and suits your eye. A heavier putter head will allow for a more pendulum-like swing, which is important. Second, when comfortable in your stance, the Putter should allow your eyes to be directly over the ball . . . also important.
Wedge - this is for short shots that occur near the green, generally for use from 100 yds and closer.
Sand Wedge - same as above, but designed to make bunker shots easier. Can also be used from heavy rough near the greens.
Irons - get yourself three as you already have two wedges, I would suggest a 4, 6, and 8 iron. These will be what you hit from the fairways and first cut of rough to advance the ball.
3 or 5 Wood - I know, they're made of metal so why do they still call them Woods? Because Golf is silly that way . . . Regardless of what the Manufacturer wants to call it you are looking for one with about 15' of loft, maybe 13'.

YOU DO NOT NEED A DRIVER WHEN YOU ARE A BEGINNER !!!

You will notice that I listed the clubs that hit the ball the shortest distance FIRST. this is because you will improve most quickly by improving your abilities with these clubs. Think about it . . . most of your shots will come from a distance of 100 yds to the green/'hole and CLOSER. Improving your skills with those clubs will dramatically improve your scores. Check youtube for videos by Dave Pelz.

The clubs listed above will get you started, and do so inexpensively too. Spend the money you saved on lessons with a pro in order to learn the basics. You will not look like the guys who have spent thousands on their gear, but that will just make things so much sweeter for you when you prove to be competitive with them, which will take time, but should not be impossible.

Then, when you've decided that golf is for you, you can look into a full set, and possibly getting fitted. but that will be next season.

good luck.

Good advice.

When I started as a teenager, My Dad took me to the local municipal course, and bought some ex-rental clubs for me: 5 iron, 7 iron, and putter. $5 each, and $15 for the putter. That's all you need. Toss in a 9 iron and a 4 wood when you find you like the game.

The higher the number of the club, the shorter the distance it is designed to hit the ball, and the easier it is to hit. Lee Travino once gave the following advice on what to do if you find yourself out on a golf course and a thunder storm starts: hold a 1-iron up above your head as high as you can ... because not even God can hit a 1-iron.

heh ... heh ... heh.

Stick to the high-number clubs.

USGA rules allow clubs to be thrown at the ground (Rule 8.1.a.ii) or in the air (8.1.a.iii), but not at people. Throwing clubs at people results in a two stroke penalty on the hole where the infraction occurs (8.1.a.vi).

Thank you all for the advice. This will definitely give me a good start.

Do I throw the clubs at the ground, in the air, or at people? I supposed I should throw that at whomever is winning, eh? :tongue_sm

My only advice is to hit the course more than you do the driving range. You will learn faster that way. There are so many experiences you can't recreate on the range. As everyone has said above, just have fun. I remember when I first learned from my dad, I dropped 10 strokes a round just from repeated playing of the course, couldn't do that at the range.

Regarding your first clubs, you might have luck asking anyone you know that plays golf if they have an old set you can buy/borrow.

And if you decide to get into it, do yourself a big favor and google "good golf grip", and learn how to put your hands on the club.
There are tons of great youtube videos where you can get very good info on the swing. These are free and you can watch at your leisure.
Best of luck! Don't let the fact that you will be awful at first deter you from playing. Everyone is terrible to begin with :)

Top Bottom