• As a lather bowl

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • As a soap dish

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • For rinsing the razor

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Decoration only

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Mugs are for drinking from, not shaving with!

Votes: 15 26.3%

• Total voters

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I do have a couple of lather bowls and soap dishes, but the mug in my bathroom is for rinsing my razor in, so the sink water stays free of stubble for face rinsing.

View attachment 1251711

How do you use yours?

Like you, I use my Marvy Green Rubber Shave Mug to rinse my razor. Bathroom sinks don’t get washed everyday at home or in the hotel during travel.

But bathroom sinks at home or the hotel get spit in everyday, sometimes get bled in when there is a cut and people will comb their hair over a sink or wash their face in a sink.

Unless a bathroom sink is washed every single day? Maybe once a week realistically? And who know what that stranger put in the bathroom sink in the hotel room before that same room was checked out to me?

They could have had a cut finger and bled in there. They could have Hepatitis and bled in there. Do I trust that housekeeper unknowingly disinfected the sink?

I will not wash my face in a sink full of water. I’m good with running water into my hands and washing my face

So when I shave, my rubber mug goes into the sink below the spout. The mug is easily filled with water to rinse the razor. When the water in the mug gets goopy on top with lather and cut whiskers, a turn of the hot faucet knob simply goes right into the mug below the spout and it’s fresh again in 2 seconds.

Same as ever, old school.
williams in a OS mug.jpeg

To avoid copyright issues here's the link.

Last edited:
I use a cheap Amazon stainless shaving mug/bowl to soak my brush when I shower. Then I fill it with hot water to dip the brush in after I lather off a puck to face lather. Lastly I use it to clean my brush after shaving. Soak while I finish up and mash around a bit to fully clean.

I do have a puck of Williams that lives in a cheap steel camp mug and I lather right off that. It stays at my cottage as our bathroom there is super small and I don’t have room for multiple pucks of soap, bowls, etc.

I don't use a mug for shaving. I have a pair of 28 oz. Corningware bowls. One for clean water, one for rinsing the razor. Water is heated with an electric kettle and mixed with cold water to get the right temperature. The sink is for draining water away.
1618522603689.png

Last edited:
I now use my mug as a makeshift scuttle. The thing is, I only use it to keep the water I add to my lather warm. I fill the mug up with hot water from the tap. I then put an old plastic yogurt cup with some warm water in the mug. I then build a proto lather in a bowl and finish lathering on my face. I add the warm water to the bowl and/or my face, as needed.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It's looking like I really should have added brush soaking as an option on the poll. I do that too if I'm using a natural brush, but then it gets used for rinsing the razor. It never even crossed my mind that folks might use it solely for the soak.

img_2-11898_smiley_panneau_oops.png

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This thread made me remember that I have a Waffle House mug that is annoyingly small for coffee but would be great for soap.

That's kind of how I ended up using my mug for shaving. It's quite a large mug, but with a very small handle, which gets uncomfortable when the mug is full.

When I have shaving soap in the house, I drop it in the bottom of the mug and load my brush from there (I'm a face latherer). Because I'm mostly using cream right now, my mug is a decorative item at the moment.

I checked as a soap dish because that's what it is :D I have vintage Old Spice mug (gift from my GF) and currently it hosts a puck of Schafmilch. I have no other use for mug since I use synthetic brushes and face lather

Top Bottom