How Do You Take Your Whiskey?

• Neat (or with a drop or two of water)

• On the Rocks

• Mixed

• With Soda

• With Water

• Other: Please explain

Results are only viewable after voting.
If it is a single malt, I drink it neat. If it is something like Wild Turkey, I may drink it with a couple of cubes of ice.

I usually like to have my whiskey as a shot, with a beer chaser (aka boilermaker). Scotch, or Irish I'll often take on the rocks. I'll never make it as a Redneck, but the phrase "Git Er Done" comes to mind.

Thanks for the help!

Also what is the most popular too drink? Whisky, Brandy.. etc?

That's a personal taste issue. Personally, I like small-batch whiskey or bourbon and single-malt scotch or irish whiskeys. I'm not a big brandy drinker. Definitely, though, if you're not sure you're going to like something go to a bar and ask them what kind of scotch they have. They should have either Glencairn, Glenfiddich, or MacAllan - try one of those on the rocks. (If you've never tried drinking liquor unmixed before I would definitely try it on the rocks first. If you like that then pick up a bottle - once you get used to drinking it on the rocks, try it neat (no ice) with just a splash of water in it.

EDIT: I had a friend one time that was ordering Scotch and just pointed to the bottle. the bartender (assuming a guy from Baton Rouge didn't know any better) said he could have the first one free if he pronounced the name correctly. Little did the tender know the guy's last name was McLean - one good pronunciation of Glenfiddich later and he had a free drink.

i like my scotch neat and my bourbon on the rocks. i would like to also like to state the obvious. never try to shave after havibing a few drinks i tried once. the feathers where very unforgiving. lol

I'm a "Non-Practicing Alcoholic" these days, but when I did practice, it was always straight up. Of course, the fact that I always had to have 12 to 15 "straight-ups" led to the Non-Practicing stage of my life.

For single malts, I agree with some other comments, I drink it neat. No reason to dilute all of that single malt goodness. With Johnny Walker Black or Red I mix a little club soda and a twist of lemon.

Jeff

Depends on the alcohol content and the type. A drop of water for single malts bottled at 40%, more for cask strength. One ice cube for blended scotch, bourbon and rye; even malt if you just want a "drink" (though I would agree it would be a waste of 30 y.o. Talisker). For those afraid of diluting precious single malts, remember that a 40% malt is already diluted down from about 60%, so as long as you're using decent (filtered or spring) water, you're not doing anything other than adjusting an arbitrarily fixed alcohol content to your taste.

The Single Malts I usually have Neat. Same goes for Bourbons. On occasion, I will experiment as suits my fancy. Sometimes, to blaspheme, I'll mix the best with Coke. [God forgive me...]

At the moment: The Glenlivet at home, Glenmorangie at my father-in-laws, neat or water.

The way it should be. Anything else is blasphemy with a single malt IMO.

Top Bottom