What's new

How do you cope with a sports-related disappointment?

I confess, I'm not wickedly in to sports. I enjoyed last nights game because really, the entire series with the Penguins has been a great battle. Living in a hockey town with a longer history of missed Cups than many others, Toronto, it can be tough to be a true blue fan. Have a few drinks with the mates, cherish the best times of this year, and debate over who would've made it better. There is always a few other sports around the corner to keep occupied with until its over.

Die hard Bears fan, UM fan, Tigers, and Cubs. Dissapointmet is a part of life! Without disappointment, I don't know what I'd do! :lol:

Seriously, it is just a game, unless you are losing large amounts of $$, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Have a beer, drink a shot, get on to the next sport/activity.

I've been a Calgary Flames fan for a little over 20 years, how do I cope with disappointment? Every year:lol: Just kidding. As others have mentioned, I just move on to the next season, baseball. Sadly, especially this year, I'm also an Arizona Diamondbacks fan. I don't remember feeling this bad since they changed the name of the park. I LOVE THE BOB!!!!
And Telly, what?!, no mention of the D-Backs? Mystique and Aura must be the name of some cheap booze that wiped that one from your memory.:lol::wink:

I actually heard a good line from radio personality Chick McGee one time about his love of the Redskins. He said that he used to go all crazy when they would loose, until one day he realized that they don't care how good he does or when he fails, maybe he shouldn't take them so seriously.:rolleyes:

I'm a big Cubs fan. This year I have not had the courage to watch a game... Yet. I will eventually.

I'm 52 years old and I should be used to seeing the Cubs blow it by now. As far as coping I smile while my friends harass me and say; "Wait till next year"!

I'm crying about the Caps, too. And, no, it has not been easy for the DC sports fan around here lately.

6-2 is pretty hard to take in game seven after six excellent games leading up to that one, including three overtimes, and if I recall two losses by the Caps due to "own" goals. (At least that is what they would call them in soccer.) With just the tiniest shift in luck, the Caps would have won the series before tonight.

Sure is hard not to like the Caps overall. Hard to take the loss, and maybe the Caps lost some respect. But they got a very long way up until tonight.

Very nicely put.

I'm grumpy about the loss too, since the Caps have, well, sucked for a long time until this season. Yeah, and my other team? The Thrashers. Ugh. I hope the hockey is better in Dallas... :crying: :a36:

I was tempted to say, "The way you cope is to get a life." But I realize there is something to being a fan that I obviously just don't get. We have a local NFL team, the San Diego Chargers. But if anyone on the team is actually from San Diego that is pure coincidence. And if anyone of the team were to be offered a better contract (more money) by any of their "rivals" they would go and play there. The whole team would move to L.A. or wherever if they were offered a better deal. There is no loyalty to the fans, just to their careers and bank accounts. And after all, any professional athlete is just a grown man playing a schoolboy game. He excels mostly because when the other kids were studying to be doctors, engineers, whatever, useful occupations, he was spending his time running and throwing a ball. This is admirable? And unless you have money bet on the game, what possible difference could it make which team wins the Superbowl or the World Series? I really don't get it. Can anyone enlighten me?

What's the problem? I am a Chicago Cubs fan. Believe you me you get over it. If they win they win. If they lose they lose. It doesn't change the world either way.:biggrin:

I was tempted to say, "The way you cope is to get a life." But I realize there is something to being a fan that I obviously just don't get. We have a local NFL team, the San Diego Chargers. But if anyone on the team is actually from San Diego that is pure coincidence. And if anyone of the team were to be offered a better contract (more money) by any of their "rivals" they would go and play there. The whole team would move to L.A. or wherever if they were offered a better deal. There is no loyalty to the fans, just to their careers and bank accounts. And after all, any professional athlete is just a grown man playing a schoolboy game. He excels mostly because when the other kids were studying to be doctors, engineers, whatever, useful occupations, he was spending his time running and throwing a ball. This is admirable? And unless you have money bet on the game, what possible difference could it make which team wins the Superbowl or the World Series? I really don't get it. Can anyone enlighten me?
There's something to be said for your home team. It doesn't matter if it's a professional sports team or the high school football team, that organization has something to do with your identity as a person and a fan, if you choose to let it. Those of us that have chosen to let it are pretty die-hard about it, and we think that's okay. Those guys that spent so much of their time throwing a ball while everyone else was studying were just doing what they were good at, and that's okay by me.

How do you cope when your team bites the bullet?

I say "better luck next year" and move on with my life. It's only a game.

I say that every time the Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates don't make it all the way. It's what makes their eventual victory so much the sweeter.

Last edited:
Being a 'fan' is a state of mind that non-fans will never be able to understand.

The only thing I follow avidly is my international football team. Not so long ago we went for 10 games without scoring goals, we were losing games to Canada!!!!! ohh it was a dreadful time but I still went to all those wet, freezing cold nights. We were not even ranked in the FIFA top 100

Then things changed with a new manager, we have since beaten England, Spain, Sweden, Poland.....currently top of our WOrld Cup Group and ranked at 27 in the world.

Would I change the bad times?

No, because the bad times make the good times all the sweeter, you need them both, THAT is what being a sports fan is about and how you deal with it:001_smile

Also a slap of pints will ease the pain in the short term:lol:

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
what do I know-I'm a NY Knickerbockers fan.:mad::frown::mad3:

marty

The worst part of that is how I recall basking in the glory of their wins in '70 and '73, and saying, "This is easy. We're going to win every year!"

It's mathematically impossible for the Lions to be worse, isn't it?

Well, if that was serious, no, they can't lose more games. They could, however, lose by larger margins, have injuries to key players (say Calvin Johnson), Matthew Stafford could be a bust thus setting us back about 5 years, again. Etc...

The pens sure looked quite a lot better in that game, but even so, you have to give your team some credit for an AMAZING series. That was some of the most exciting hockey I've watched in a long time!

As a Penguin fan (and born and bred Pittsburgher) I would love to gloat in your, and all Caps fans' misery. But then I remember the Pirates and it keeps me grounded.

Kidding aside, it was a great series. It seems that all the things we were hoping would eventually break down, did so at the same time. Don't get too down - your guys will be in it for a long time.

One final thing, for all the crap that was slung through the series (and all year), it was nice to see true sportsmanship among Ovie, Sid, and Gonchar in "the line" last night and in the post-game comments. That is what playoff hockey is all about.

Now, do I root for home ice vs. the 'Canes, or a (hopefully) more tired Bruins team?

As a Cleveland fan, I'm more concerned with how I'll cope if one of my teams ever does not bite the bullet.

Take this year's Cavs: best record in the NBA, MVP, coach of the year, sweeps in their first two playoff series. I can't help but feel I'm being set up for the biggest disappointment yet. :scared:

My Capitals showed up tonight with the fierceness of croquet players, and got drubbed 6-2. I'm coping by eating a large plate of fiery hot wings with bleu cheese dressing and washing it down with Smithwick's. In other instances, I have screamed obscenities into a pillow, gone for a jog, or other times I just lie down and shake my head. Before you judge, the life of a Washington sports fan has not been easy for a while here lately.

How do you cope when your team bites the bullet?

Oh the pain... You think you have it bad... I grew up in Philly and since 1960 there has been only seven championship teams.

Flyers 2
Sixers 2
Eagles 1
Phillies 2

the worst part they are the only championships ever for the phillies since like 1900 or something... now that is painful.

So do what i do go under ground and wait for the next season and hope all over again.. Do not read the papers or internet or watch espn until the pain subsides...:biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom