What's new

How do you ask for "Tri-tip?"

Please help us ignorant people . . . . do please give us the secret to life love the universe and everything . . . or how to get the butcher to cut off the tri-tip?

It originated in Santa Maria, CA and is very popular in California and surronding areas. Alot of other states just don't sell it because there isn't a lot of call for it. Many butchers cut it into pieces for stew meat, etc. If you have a local butcher, I would ask for it (bring the wikipedia info). Other than that, you can try Costco. My brother lives in Massachusetts and it has started to show up now and then.

:chef::chef:I worked as a meat cutter for many years for a big box store ( Sam's Club) both in California, and Oklahoma. During the mid 90's I instantly knew who the transplanted Californians were when they asked for tri-tip. It was still relatively unknown outside of California, and a great bargain for those in the know.

As the popularity of tri-tip has increased, so has the demand, hence increaseing the price. The names of certain meat cuts are very provincial, so the name of a certain cuts can vary greatly by location..ie a sirloin strip steak is called both a New york, and a Kansas city strip. The diagram is a good place to start, but you can also explain to your butcher that you want a bottom sirloin roast, triangle roast or a culotte roast. This will ensure you will get the whole "tri-tip" rather than steaks cut from it, as some meat markets offer both. If you ask for the bottom sirloin roast, specify that you want the "Triagle" this is the actual "tri-tip" because it touches the Flank, shank, and round. The term culotte, is used back east mostly.

My sister resides in Santa Maria CA, and according to local legend, the tri-tip was first offered for sale in the 1950's by a butcher named Bob Schutz, who owned the Santa Maria Market. Bob had a charcoal grill out back of the market where he regulary grilled " butcher's treats" for him and his employees for lunch. These were disregarded cuts of meat, that were usually used for either ground beef, or stew meat. The Tri-tip was one of these cuts. As legend has it, a customer got a whiff of the grilling meat and asked if he could buy a bit of it for his lunch...Bob obliged, and the first "tri-tip" sale took place. The word spread among the local butcher's..who until then were only getting ground beef out of their tri-tips. The tri-tip barbecue gained in poularity when Safeway market started grilling large amounts of tri-tips on Friday's for customer's to buy. Soon, every charity, children's sports team's, and fraternal organizations were doing tri-tip barbecues as fundraisers, a tradition that continues to this day, and the legend was born.

KaiserKrebs, I'm almost certain that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you!!

I'll speak as you have spoken.

And if that fails, I'll take the article, point and grunt.

:)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well I'm keen now on trying a tri-tip. I just sent my butcher an email to warm him up to the idea. I'm sure they will figure it out . . . . so ??????

What is the best way to cook it? Fire in dudes . . . you don't want me to starve while this thing sits in the meat tray do you?

I cook on a Big Green Egg. For tri-tips, I will jack the temp up to about 700, sear the tri-tip for about 3-4 minutes a side, then remove it. While the tri-tip is wrapped in foil, I adjust my dampers & vents on the Egg to get the temp down to about 350-375, then put the meat back on. I flip it every 10 minutes or so, and check the temp with my Thermapen. When it hits about 125, I pull it off, wrap it back in the foil, and let it sit for about 15 minutes (or less if I just can't stand it), then slice it thin. I've done it with a chili rub that goes great with tortillas, salsa, beans, and guacamole.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I cook on a Big Green Egg. For tri-tips, I will jack the temp up to about 700, sear the tri-tip for about 3-4 minutes a side, then remove it. While the tri-tip is wrapped in foil, I adjust my dampers & vents on the Egg to get the temp down to about 350-375, then put the meat back on. I flip it every 10 minutes or so, and check the temp with my Thermapen. When it hits about 125, I pull it off, wrap it back in the foil, and let it sit for about 15 minutes (or less if I just can't stand it), then slice it thin. I've done it with a chili rub that goes great with tortillas, salsa, beans, and guacamole.

I'm not certain if my toaster oven can reach 700.

Ha just kidding. I think I can get close with my grill.

It's never any trouble finding tritip labeled as tritip on the West Coast. I, too, have been mystified why the rest of the country doesn't know about it. There are few things finer than a marinated and barbequed tritip - I've loved the cut since I was a kid.

Soon, every charity, children's sports team's, and fraternal organizations were doing tri-tip barbecues as fundraisers, a tradition that continues to this day, and the legend was born.

And that is no exaggeration. I live about 25 miles from Santa Maria and every weekend is full of Tri-tip barbecues to raise funds for charity, etc. It sometimes looks like there is a fire nearby because the main street is so smokey from the dueling BBQ's. But the smell is heavenly.

As for cooking it, you can buy "Santa Maria seasoning," just for the things. Other than that, the meat is fairly flavorful alone.

I think I hit it with some kosher salt, pepper and maybe some form of garlic salt or crushed garlic.

Toss it on the grill 'till it's rare/med-rare in the thick end and you'll have every doneness from "Done," on down, for every taste at the table.

It's cheap enough to try different rubs, seasonings and marinades on.

Someone gave me the idea of seasoning it and letting it sit overnight in a bath of 7-up. As long as it doesn't freeze the solution (that's a big mistake...ugh...) it comes out great and not at all sweet as I'd pictured.

Something about the acids in the soda breaking down something or other in the meat and carrying the spices in.

It's a chore to screw one of these up, really.

The left overs make great sandwiches too. Pretty darn versatile.

I usually marinate in Worcestershire sauce for about 8 hours or overnight, then wipe off the sauce and rub with Santa Maria rub. The rub is basically kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder.

I've grilled it over medium high heat for about 10 minutes a side until medium rare. My preferred method is to smoke it low and slow for about 2 hours to medium rare. Tender, juicy and delicious!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I from a tad out of town. Can anybody tell me what is in Santa Maria rub? The great news is that my butcher knows exactly what I'm talking about . . . so Tri Tip here I come.

I from a tad out of town. Can anybody tell me what is in Santa Maria rub? The great news is that my butcher knows exactly what I'm talking about . . . so Tri Tip here I come.

It is primarily sea salt or kosher salt, garlic powder and black pepper. In Steve Raichlen's BBQ USA his recipe is:

2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt.
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
It is primarily sea salt or kosher salt, garlic powder and black pepper. In Steve Raichlen's BBQ USA his recipe is:

2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt.
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Sounds lovely. It will not be red but this is what I'll use this time.

Be sure not to overcook it. Most people I've talked to agree that it is best when cooked rare or medium rare.

Top Bottom