What's new

How do you ask for "Tri-tip?"

I'm almost sure I've found the answer before, but I cant seem to find it now.

Anyhow, I'll be heading back home soon.

And, surprise surprise, no one knows what a Tri-tip is!

But I want one.

So if I were to go into a butcher shop how, exactly, would I ask him for one? There has to be a technical way of asking for it.

Anyone know it??

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Interesting question I've never tried one myself. According to Wikipedia it is North American Meat Processors Association cutting classification 185D and is a small 1.5 to 2.5 lb. muscle located on the bottom of the bottom sirloin primal cut.

Yah, once people in TX find out about tritip, brisket will be out the window.

So is that exactly what I ask for? "Can I have a 185D from the bottom of the sirloin primal?"

We'll see. I'm in Austin (or will be) too. And I'm bringing the tides of change with me.

There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

But in the end...people will see tritip is the new brisket.

People in Texas have known about tri-tip for many years...nothing new. I've seen it at Whole Foods and Harris Teeter here in Northern Virginia but usually buy it at a Mexican Butcher Shop.

I always thought it was weird when I moved from California to Chicago that nobody knew what tri tip was. I'd love to know how to order it out here!

I always thought it was weird when I moved from California to Chicago that nobody knew what tri tip was. I'd love to know how to order it out here!

I can understand it...Tri-tip is more prevalent in the southwest because of the central and south american influences.

Ok, ok...maybe people there HAVE known about it.

Nobody I've ever spoken to (unless they were from a western state) has heard of it.

At any rate, it's hard enough to find that I've never found it there and have decided that I'll probably have to order the cut.

Print out the page from Wikipedia, and take it with you to the butcher shop. Even if you don't know what to call it, if he sees the diagram, description, and cutting procedure, he'll know what you're talking about.

Ok, ok...maybe people there HAVE known about it.

Nobody I've ever spoken to (unless they were from a western state) has heard of it.

At any rate, it's hard enough to find that I've never found it there and have decided that I'll probably have to order the cut.

Granted, not as common in Austin as Brisket!! The large HEB Central Market on Lamar Blvd. or the Fiesta at I-35 & 38th St. may have it. I would try there first, then a butcher shop.

Find a South American butcher, and ask them for 'Picanha' (pronounced like "pecan ya"). I actually found one of the guys in the meat department at my local supermarket will cut this on special request. Best stuff ever, but hard to find someone who will cut it! One other downside, quantities are often limited, as they have to cut the picanha off the sirloin before cutting the remainder into steaks or smaller roasts (so unless they need more steaks, they can be reluctant to cut up another full sirloin).

Last edited:
Glad I live on the central coast of California where Tri-tip is an institution. It's served by itself, in omelets, in sandwiches, in tortillas, etc. Now I know what to ask for when I'm in one of those strange areas that seem to be able to live without it.

Psychlopath, depending on where home is, you can usually find it at Trader Joes. Apparently, we ignoramuses in the East typically grind that portion of the sirloin into hamburger. When Trader Joes came to town a few years ago I discovered tri-tip and have been hooked on it ever since. Tri-tip on the Big Green Egg is good stuff.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Crazy how things are turning out . . . things that butchers had to give away are turning out to be tasty . . . if we know how to prepare them.

Top Bottom