What's new

How do i convince my parents to buy me a good safety razor

I'm 15 and started shaving a year and a half ago. I've been shaving with some disposable 3 blade gillette swivel razors and absolutely hate them, they're always clogged and give me really bad razor burn, i tried the fusion proglide and it was better but insanely expensive. A few weeks ago i started looking into safety razors and decided to try them out, so i went to my local dollar store and picked one up for $4, it came with only one blade and i liked it alot more than the disposables. I want to get the merkur 34c (heard it's great for beginners) with 100 astra blades. my dad absolutely hates safety razors, he used his dad's 2 times and apparently cut himself both times and has been with disposable since. my mom just thinks I want it to "look cool" and that eventually I'll just get bored of it and end up wasting $70.

Bottom line how do i convince them to get me a good safety razor

just tell them i said your right and you need it, lol..jk....i never had to shave at 15 though, lol. but i would suggest a slim, as that would give you alot more options than the fixed head merkur would. nothing wrong with 33/34c though, really good razor. get whatever you want. but slims could be had for $20-$30 in decent shape.

Like mentioned you can use your money. Not saying that you won't. Just because your Dad had a bad experience with a DE doesn't mean he can't be supportive. He's probably my age(44). I used carts for almost 30 years and just saw the light this August. Have him check out this site. Never know he might try again!

Get a vintage Gillette Tech. Look at eBay or etsy. Also look at a Super Speed. You can get either of those for way less than $70 or you could get two. Welcome to B&B and good luck.

pay attention to the pif's that go around people on this sight are greatly supportive of de shavers no matter what the age, you don't have to have a German made razor, I don't. in fact I've never had a new razor.

As a parent, I can see how your parents want to make sure this is really what you want before they shell out more money. Here's what I would suggest.

1. Use what you have for awhile. Take that time to work on your technique.

2. Save what money you can for your next razor.

3. If money is an issue, please consider a vintage razor. They will have great quality and performance for a lot less than $50.

This process may take some time. Your parents are holding back because they are afraid you won't stick with it. Part of this process is going through several months wet shaving to prove to them this isn't a fad but a real change that you need.

A couple of thoughts as you work toward respectfully persuading them. Show them some of the tutorials here and even some of the difficulties newbies have especially the numerous offers of advice for those learning or having difficulties. Also, show a couple of the tutorial vids on YouTube.

are they currently paying for your cartridge and disposable razors? if they are, you need to let them know that every time they go the grocery store there will not be "razors for you" listed on them anymore. de shaving will save money, that is if you can control rad and really just use one razor and 100 pack of blades for a solid 6 month to a year, but we all know how that goes, lol

Maybe just ask for 100 DE blades and use that razor for a few months then ask again.

If they see you have been using your current razor and would like a nicer one then they maybe more receptive.

I would also suggest a vintage razor, I have never owned a modern razor. If you look around here you will see that vintage razors are made better and last longer due to the material used. I.E. Brass as opposed to pot metal.

You can also look around at flea markets and antique stores find some cheap razors (do your homework first) find a few adjustables or something like that and trade for a merkur 34c.

Just throwing out ideas sometimes when you are young you need to think outside the box to get the thing you want.

Good luck keep us posted.

Honor your father and mother. Use this as a chance to show them that you are mature enough. This will open the door.
Also here is a very important point: prep is the most important part of the shave. Map you face, how does your hair grow? Hydrate your beard, use real shaving soap and learn to whip lather with a brush. You will find you can get a great shave with a cart with great prep.

Lastly you could ask for a straight razor. Do this for a while and they will happily settle for a safety razor:thumbup:

Top Bottom