What's new

how did you get into pens?

An ex-girlfriend's family uses and collects fountain pens and got me into the hobby. She gave me my first fountain pen, a cheap Chinese steel nib to see if I like it and fell in love with the smoothness of writing and the availability of ink. I carry one of my pens daily, but since I'm a cop and have to write on carbon copy forms all the time I carry a good ballpoint that my wife got me in college. I quickly learned that the easiest way to not lose a pen is to carry an expensive one or three that you care about.

About 20 years ago I wanted to be different that everyone, so I started using Fountain Pens where I could!

Tom

I've always liked writing tools. Mechanical pencils rule! My red Pentel Kerry must have millions of miles on it. "Figuratively and Literally!" I liked ballpoints that "clicked" first. Then, I discovered my Dad's cash of fountain pens. Went hot and heavy with fountain pens through Junior High, High School, and college. Sort of lost interest when I started working for a living. Lots of carbon forms and carbon paper made the fountain pens impractical. The companies I worked for gave great ballpoints to the best customers. I gloomed onto quite a few of those. Those same companies gave their best people even nicer ballpoints, felt tips, and rollerball pens. I received lots of those too. The fountain pens just kept getting left at home and I stopped using them in the late seventies/early eighties.

Then, I found a really nice Sheaffer Connoisseur sitting in a drawer and I wanted a new razor. I put the Shaeffer up for sale and Andrew gratiously took it off my hands. I think that's where I got part of the funding for my Feather AS-D2 though it might have been for my gold Gillette Slim. Things get confusing as one's gray hairs multiply. Andrew actually tried to convince me not to part with the pen when he heard that I had once been a frequent user. I wanted the razor and Andrew got the pen.

Then, Champion of Capua PIF'd three fountain pens and I won the PIF. All were great starter pens! I was re-hooked. Two of CoC's pens have been PIF'd in turn and I have acquired way to many others to keep his "Big Green Pen" company.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
B&B of course! Way back in the early '70's, used a school fountain pen for a brief period, then reverted to various ball points and gel pens, using mostly G2 Pilots prior to my return to fountain pens thanks to this forum.

Bored taking notes in class in the days before laptops. A fountain pen was much more fun and interesting than a ballpoint.

I got into fountain pens partially by accident. I was in mall that a pen retail store. There was a fountain pen demo on the counter.

I was curious I picked up. Was just about to start to use it, when the clerk rushed over exclaiming "fountain pens were not intended for left handed writers, I will be glad to show a roller ball" Needless to say I left the store.

I'm proud to be left handed and I do not like to be told that something is not intended for left handers. That incident prompted me to look into fountain pens.

I bought my first fountain pen from Levengers online, a Waterman Phileas. All my pen purchases since them has been online.

The esteemed (steamed?) gentlemen of this forum are the ones that got me started. I had brief encounters with fountain pens when I was a wee lad back in the 50s (I remember my Dad using a Sheaffer Snorkel and my Mom had an Esterbrook), but by the time I was out of elementary school, there wasn't a fountain pen to be found in the household. I wandered in here a couple of years ago, got interested, bought a couple of cheap Chinese pens (now relegated to the junk drawer) and never looked back.

Last edited:
My fiance got me hooked in 2005 while we were in grad school. Her quirky PhD adviser required everyone in the research group to use fountain pens to write in their lab notebooks. I got FPAD waaaay worse than all of them.

-Andy

Top Bottom