What's new

How did I do?

I haven't gotten around to shaving with a straight razor yet but wanted to start with something to work on until I got a new Dovo....how did I do?

proxy.php

It's a Halberd. The back says "F.A Clauberg, New York, Made in Germany"

It has a patina on it but no rust or pitting on the blade or edge. The pic doesn't makes it look like it has some dings in the edge, but it is straight and looks like it's been sharpened straight and responsibly. I've restored many vintage fountain pens in the past so this will be a fun challenge. I've got some 2000 grit wet/dry paper that I use on my pocket knives that I'll start with and end with some green compound and simichrome....that should work for bringing back the polish, right? Any help on how to bring this guy back is greatly appreciated! TIA

Made in Germany...should be great. I would let some of resto guys chime in about how you should start. I thought because I had 23 years experience with knives that it would be childs play to make good a razor...I have been humbled many many times over...Oh well...nice score! :biggrin:

You can start way below the grit of 2000. (You can use 2000 aswell but it'll take much longer) Be sure to constantly watch the edge, as most of the 'straight cuts' come from polishing the straights.

Good luck. The razor looks like it's a quality item and will surely clean up nicely.

Start with a good metal polish.

You only go to sandpaper whatever the grit if you really need to.

That razor looks pretty good.

Remember when polishing the blade to lay it flat on something soft like cardboard and gently keep the blade twisted into the carboard and away from you. As you polish, with a tissue paper and metal polish, your fingers can then rub the blade safely. It's important to concentrate on the twisting with the left hand because if you forget.....you might cut your rubbing/polishing right hand.
It's not natural to concentate on keeping the blade twisted. But believe me it becomes very natural once you cut yourself.
As for the handles (technically called scales) I use a fine paste to polish away the dirt on the outside and inside. The metal polish will probably do, but if you are used to cleaning pens, I'm sure you have a good plastic polish.

Oiling the blade overnight....soaking the blade in oil over night... and re polishing with a good metal polish also works wonders and will clean away another layer of surface grime and corrosion.
You will find all sorts of gunge comes out from the pivot. Just keep on it with oil and tissue cleaning and it will eventually come good. Slowly, slowly is better than what you may think is a speedy road....often to ruin.

You will only need to resort to sandpaper if there is corrosion that has put indentations into the metal. Otherwise, oils and polish will do it for sure.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom