What's new

How About the More “Genteel” Side of Firearms?

I don't have any fancy shotguns. I don't shoot shotgun often, but I really enjoy it when I do. So I'm not sure why I don't do it more often. 🤔

I'm not sure why, but I am a sucker for Browning BPSs. I just love that silky smooth action. I think they are probably the most elegant of all pumps(if pumps can be elegant). Used ones can picked up for very reasonable prices, and they are great for lefties since they are ambidextrous. My local shop has a couple used ones right now that I was eyeing. One is a 28 ga, the other is a fancy 12 with really nice wood and engraving. I don't need either, but I still want. These are the ones I have. Top two are 12 ga, bottom one is 20.

IMG_20220201_193328025 (1).jpg

Well, I went back to the gun shop yesterday to about the Ultra XT. They were asking $1949 for it but that was a bit over my comfort zone. The gun is in excellent condition except for a couple of small dings in the stock that I think I could get out with a wet rag and an iron if I tried. The action is smooth and tight and the bluing and bores are excellent. I can tell that it's been shot but I don't believe very much. It looks like it's been taken care of and it's spotless inside. After talking for a bit, he told to make an offer. I told him that I would feel pretty good at $1600, we usually go back and a couple of times and he comes down a little but this time he surprised me. He told me that I'd been a good customer (I bought 6 guns from him last year) and he would take it. As I said he surprised me and I didn't have all of my ducks in a row so he took the $200 that I had in my pocket and told me to take as long as I needed. So thanks @ColtRevolver for the enabling, I mean inspiration, I probably would have let this one get away otherwise.

I always wanted a Remington 1100. I came close to buying one a couple of times but it just never worked out. A couple of weeks ago I stopped by my favorite gun shop and found one. I know they're a bit outdated and there's more than a million of them out there but to me it's a classic and I wanted it. It looked good on the outside and the wood was extra nice. It has a 26" skeet barrel and was made in 1973 or'74. When I got home, I started stripping it down to clean. I was surprised at what I found, at first I thought it was rust but when I wiped it with a rag, it was what looked like red grease. After got it all apart, I didn't find any carbon build up or any wear for that matter. The magazine tube and action bar looked almost new. It looks to me like someone bought it and stuck it in the closet for 50 years. Here's some pictures of it after I cleaned it up.

20220125_185405_resized_20220202-163318.jpg
Screenshot_20220125-191010_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220125-191116_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220125-191152_Gallery.jpg

I must by weird or something. I have never seen an O/U anything that I have thought attractive. On the other hand, I think SxS anythings are the epitome of grace.

I must by weird or something. I have never seen an O/U anything that I have thought attractive. On the other hand, I think SxS anythings are the epitome of grace.
I’m no trap or clay shooter, other than the few times a year the boys throw a few clays by hand at camp, but I have always admired side by sides as well. I wonder why folks always use the over unders for trap and such. They must be better in some ways.

I have a really beat up 870 that was made in the 60s. I absolutely love it. Every time I think it needs reblued, I decide I like the worn finish. I can hit ducks, pheasants, pats, and rabbits all day. Clays……not so much. The couple times I went to a sporting clay event for charity or such, I was embarrassed by the regulars. They all had over unders and autos. One guy had a sxs, and he was dressed like an English gentleman which was cool but odd. He scored worse than me though. I don’t think he was a regular at the club.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Then and now.

Long long ago and in a land far far away duck hunting along the banks of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries was an annual rite. The goal was to put on your heaviest woolen coats and fire-up at least two Johnny Hand Warmers and spend a delightful early morning huddled in the blind while the morning mist froze on your face and your eyes watered like garden hose leaks.

My shotgun of choice was a 28" Winchester Model 12 20 gauge with a modified choke. It was ideal for those low flying fast moving ducks, lighter than the big 12 gauge and very maneuverable. My future Father-in-Law preferred his Browning Sweet 16 but I was happy with the old Winchester. It had been made back in 1927 and had over time grown fond of ducks and so regardless of my wishes, desires or effort it refused to cause any harm to any ducks other than possible chest pains from their laughter. The big old Chesapeake Bay Retriever that was our companion in the blind seemed to take great pleasure in diving into the frigid waters of the Magothy River and after returning with my father-in-law's birds stand directly next to me while shaking off the water.

View attachment 1402662
Beautiful memories...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Dad's old Belgium Browning Sweet Sixteen.

A quail killin' mother.

View attachment 1401049
The A5 is the best looking semiautomatic shotgun ever made, IMO
Weird how tastes work. I love the elegant look (IMO) of over/unders, but don’t care for side by sides.

I always wanted a Remington 1100. I came close to buying one a couple of times but it just never worked out. A couple of weeks ago I stopped by my favorite gun shop and found one. I know they're a bit outdated and there's more than a million of them out there but to me it's a classic and I wanted it. It looked good on the outside and the wood was extra nice. It has a 26" skeet barrel and was made in 1973 or'74. When I got home, I started stripping it down to clean. I was surprised at what I found, at first I thought it was rust but when I wiped it with a rag, it was what looked like red grease. After got it all apart, I didn't find any carbon build up or any wear for that matter. The magazine tube and action bar looked almost new. It looks to me like someone bought it and stuck it in the closet for 50 years. Here's some pictures of it after I cleaned it up.

View attachment 1404253View attachment 1404254View attachment 1404256View attachment 1404257
I have two, the first is a 12ga standard model I purchased at the Izmir, Turkey NATO rod and gun club back in 1972 right after I got in country, to use for wild boar( we could not have rifles) and birds. It had a plain modified choke barrel and I picked up a skeet barrel and a slug barrel (with rifle sights) while there and was surprised at accuracy with slugs. A few years ago I got a 20ga LT, the one with the smaller action frame from my sister, she and her husband had taken it in partial trade for a trailer. Someone had sawed off the stock, put a too small spacer in then added a recoil pad, looked horrible, foreend was cracked. When I got it home, I found the magazine follower had swollen and was frozen in place. so drove it out with a large wooden dowel rod. Replaced that with a stainless steel model. There was a good bit of rust. I finally found a nice stock replacement, cleaned up the metal and touched up the blueing so it looks good. I ended up getting a new barrel for it, and one for my 12 ga that use the interchangeble choke tubes so they are both a bit more versatile. During all my work, I replaced the trigger sears on both with a model that gave some adjustment and a lighter crisper trigger pull. Nice guns,

Top Bottom