What's new

Snake Oil Worth a Look

I’m kind of a sucker for gee-whiz gizmo stuff but not too much when it comes to firearms related items.
73F7DB60-1F40-45F0-AF30-81D878DCCF72.jpeg

This product flashed up on a Facebook ad which gave it 1.5 strikes from the get-go.
But…it was a cool presentation and there was a free shipping special going on. Hook was set. So….
Today was clean neglected clays shotguns day. Two Browning Citoris, then one each: a Beretta Silver Pigeon (really filthy), a Winchester 101, a Benelli Montefeltro, and last but not least a Benelli Sport II. What a cluster.
Good a time as any to put this elixir to the test. And yes, it worked magnificently. Went through a ton of gunk from hundreds of rounds without a hiccup.
My loyalty to Balistol, Break Free, Hoppe’s and many other once revered products has been tarnished indeed.
Now if I can just get over that silly label😖

I’m a huge Ballistol fan; have been for decades. But this new potion seems to have the edge. Copper? I ran a box of FMJ .40 caliber through my Glock a while back. Haven’t cleaned it yet (hey, it’s a Glock🤷‍♂️)
I‘ll give it a scrubbing and post a report.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I've got a fair collection of magic gun cleaning elixers and lubes I've assembled over the years. After a while, I decided I did not notice any huge difference in performance between them. What I decided was I don't believe in the one product does it all mentality (CLP). Great for simplicity in the field for the military on military weapons put to hard use. But not on my guns.

In the end the only thing I still buy now is Hoppes solvent. I use Hoppes solvent, and when done, I use whatever lubricant is at hand from my stash, including CLP. At my age, I'm unlikely to need any more lubricant during my lifetime, the purchase of a big bottle of Hoppes every few years should take care of me until I'm in my grave.

I've got a fair collection of magic gun cleaning elixers and lubes I've assembled over the years. After a while, I decided I did not notice any huge difference in performance between them. What I decided was I don't believe in the one product does it all mentality (CLP). Great for simplicity in the field for the military on military weapons put to hard use. But not on my guns.

In the end the only thing I still buy now is Hoppes solvent. I use Hoppes solvent, and when done, I use whatever lubricant is at hand from my stash, including CLP. At my age, I'm unlikely to need any more lubricant during my lifetime, the purchase of a big bottle of Hoppes every few years should take care of me until I'm in my grave.
I also caved to the adverts and bought the Shooter's Lube kit. It works pretty well, but I'm in John's camp. Nothing beats good old Hoppes #9. After a thorough cleaning with Hoppes, my guns get lubed with whatever is close at hand. It's just going to get washed off after the next trip to the range. Most of us overoil (is that a word?) anyway. Probably causes more problems than it solves.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What’s the recipe?

TRADITIONAL CRACKED CORN MOONSHINE RECIPE​

Rated 4 stars by 33 users

Category​

drinks/cocktails

Servings​

Prep Time​

14 minutes

Cook Time​

2 hours

Author:​

DJ Craftstills

A traditional moonshine whiskey recipe using cracked corn and malted barley!

Ingredients​

• 6 gallons of filtered water
  • 8 pounds of ground cracked corn
  • 1.5 pounds of malted barley
  • One pack of yeast (usually 11g)

Directions​

1. Pour six gallons of filtered water into your large pot and heat to 165°F. Once you have reached 165°F, turn off the heat and add your cracked corn.
  2. The reason that you need to have your corn ground is that it needs to release its starch. Once you have added your corn, stir it for about 20 seconds every 5 minutes. Monitor the temperature. Once it lowers to 150°F you can add the crushed barley. Stir so it is well incorporated.
  3. Malted barley is an important ingredient because its enzymes are necessary to convert your starches into sugar. After you have added your barley and stirred your mash you can turn off the heat. At this point, we want to cool our mash to room temperature or 70°F.
  4. At this stage, it is not necessary to strain your mash. However, we find it easier to strain our mash using a cheesecloth and clean hands (to squeeze it out) once our mash is cool. Otherwise, you can strain your mash after fermentation using the same method.
  5. Temperature plays an important role in making moonshine. Before adding your yeast, you need to make sure your mash has cooled to 70°F. As well as the correct temperature, your mash needs oxygen for the fermentation process.
  6. With a large recipe like this one, you will need to pour your mash between your fermentation bucket and your pot about 5-10 times in order to aerate it. This process will provide the oxygen necessary to help the yeast do its work. Once you have aerated your mash (finish with the mash in your fermentation bucket) and add your yeast. Place an airtight lid and airlock in place.
  7. Let it ferment in an area with a constant temperature between 70°F and 75°F for about 10-14 days. Watch your airlock for a cease in activity for about two days before distilling
  8. Run your still as per its instructions. For information on how to fractionate your run, check out our How to Make Moonshine Guide.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I use this stuff now a for a few years, I think it came out some three years ago. l little bit goes a long way...
I've also been using SL's cleaning solvent for a couple of years now & it is the finest cleaner I've ever used ... as already mentioned, a little goes a long way - that said, Hoppes & KG 12 remain the go-to barrel solvents. The advantage Shooter Lube has over a former favorite (M-Pro 7 Cleaner) is that unlike the M-Pro, SL evaporates.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

TRADITIONAL CRACKED CORN MOONSHINE RECIPE​

Rated 4 stars by 33 users

Category​

drinks/cocktails

Servings​

Prep Time​

14 minutes

Cook Time​

2 hours

Author:​

DJ Craftstills

A traditional moonshine whiskey recipe using cracked corn and malted barley!

Ingredients​

• 6 gallons of filtered water
  • 8 pounds of ground cracked corn
  • 1.5 pounds of malted barley
  • One pack of yeast (usually 11g)

Directions​

1. Pour six gallons of filtered water into your large pot and heat to 165°F. Once you have reached 165°F, turn off the heat and add your cracked corn.
  2. The reason that you need to have your corn ground is that it needs to release its starch. Once you have added your corn, stir it for about 20 seconds every 5 minutes. Monitor the temperature. Once it lowers to 150°F you can add the crushed barley. Stir so it is well incorporated.
  3. Malted barley is an important ingredient because its enzymes are necessary to convert your starches into sugar. After you have added your barley and stirred your mash you can turn off the heat. At this point, we want to cool our mash to room temperature or 70°F.
  4. At this stage, it is not necessary to strain your mash. However, we find it easier to strain our mash using a cheesecloth and clean hands (to squeeze it out) once our mash is cool. Otherwise, you can strain your mash after fermentation using the same method.
  5. Temperature plays an important role in making moonshine. Before adding your yeast, you need to make sure your mash has cooled to 70°F. As well as the correct temperature, your mash needs oxygen for the fermentation process.
  6. With a large recipe like this one, you will need to pour your mash between your fermentation bucket and your pot about 5-10 times in order to aerate it. This process will provide the oxygen necessary to help the yeast do its work. Once you have aerated your mash (finish with the mash in your fermentation bucket) and add your yeast. Place an airtight lid and airlock in place.
  7. Let it ferment in an area with a constant temperature between 70°F and 75°F for about 10-14 days. Watch your airlock for a cease in activity for about two days before distilling
  8. Run your still as per its instructions. For information on how to fractionate your run, check out our How to Make Moonshine Guide.

I bet this recipe is good for drinking or driving. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The original recipe is 4 equal parts of automatic transmission fluid, kerosene, mineral spirits, and acetone. I believe lanolin was optional. I leave out the acetone because acetone alone is harmful to some plastics and wood finishes.

Do you add the lanolin? I actually have everything but the lanolin and the acetone.

I bet your gun safe smells like a garage? :)

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I keep Ed’s Red in an ammo can in the garage. Not my normal cleaner, but every few years I take the grips off, field strip a 1911, or full metal 9mm and just dunk the whole thing in the can for a half hour, then fish it out, detail strip it, reassemble and lube. This is a several thousand rounds thing, not very often.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
ATF? Is everything equal parts?
Automatic Transmission Fluid is a quart, as is Mobil One. STP is less than a quart, but a whole can, whatever it is, and whatever a large bottle of Hoppes is. Adds up to a little less than a gallon.

Wow, there is a lot of jumping thru hoops with gun cleaning around here (and just about everywhere else too). I just wipe everything down with Ballistol and move on. Nothing rusts and everything works across the board. I even use it on my tools at work and it make a decent lotion if my hands dry out in the winter.

Top Bottom