What's new

House smells like Williams Mug Soap

Arko is great and gives a thick lather easily.

Lea, Palmolive, La Toja, Ingrams & Old spice all are great creams. My favourite at the moment is Lea mixed with ingrams.

Proraso is a solid performer, the white is the best of them imo.

Taylor of old bond street creams are good, but very highly scented, i like either the natural or aloe.

Muhle do a great aloe shave soap for about £6 a puck.

This?
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
That's the stuff. I'm one of the odd ones that like it. :-D

As a long time Williams user, I've not noticed a strong scent or been terribly concerned about the feel after using it. I usually always apply a alum bar and witch hazel along with a scented balm to finish off. That's another reason why I like Williams because it doesn't interfere with the final outcome.

As a long time Williams user, I've not noticed a strong scent or been terribly concerned about the feel after using it. I usually always apply a alum bar and witch hazel along with a scented balm to finish off. That's another reason why I like Williams because it doesn't interfere with the final outcome.
Googling: Alum bar...

Throw a puck in the laundry washing machine and another is the dishwasher and see what happens. Of course, pics will be necessary (including those with SWMBO's scowl!)
From when I was a kid I can tell you, if you run out of machine dishwashing powder, do not use, even a small amount, of laundry powder.

If you are looking for a shave soap that is really inexpensive per ounce, consider using Irish Spring Signature for Men Hydrating bar soap. It is designed for bathing rather than shaving, but it is a tallow soap with shea butter added.

You can purchase 9 by 6 oz bars for $less than $25. That works out to less than $0.50 per ounce.

https://www.amazon.com/Irish-Spring-Signature-Hydrating-3-Pack/dp/B00WGWM468?th=1

This soaps produces one of the slickest lathers I have ever used and has a excellent post shave feel due to the shea butter, but the density of the lather is not as good as with many shaving soaps. However, if you want to be cheap, this will get the job done. I love the Irish Spring scent.

If you are looking for a shave soap that is really inexpensive per ounce, consider using Irish Spring Signature for Men Hydrating bar soap. It is designed for bathing rather than shaving, but it is a tallow soap with shea butter added.

You can purchase 9 by 6 oz bars for $less than $25. That works out to less than $0.50 per ounce.

https://www.amazon.com/Irish-Spring-Signature-Hydrating-3-Pack/dp/B00WGWM468?th=1

This soaps produces one of the slickest lathers I have ever used and has a excellent post shave feel due to the shea butter, but the density of the lather is not as good as with many shaving soaps. However, if you want to be cheap, this will get the job done. I love the Irish Spring scent.
I'm VERY interested in this, as I've just switched to bar soap for showering, and am trying to find something I like. I'm looking for one bar that I can use for hair, body, and body-shaving ([emoji51]). I've got oily hair that I'm not worried about drying out, and I use slather noxima on my face before I get in.

I've got four bars in the shower that I'm currently testing

1. Bronners peppermint
2. Irish spring original
3. Lever 2000
4. Dove for men (or men essentials, or something like that.

I really want to like the Irish spring, but it doesn't lather very well for me and never feels like it completely washes off.

I'll try to find the variant you mention.

Occasionally, you can find Proraso on the auction site pretty darn cheap, if you're on a budget. (I've seen them around $5 with free shipping from time to time, or the larger barbershop tube for $16-$17).

If you want a treat, Stirling & Catie's Bubbles are fantastic, a variety of scents to please anybody, and create fantastic lather that's thick & slick. They're also not that expensive at around $13 (+/-) for a 6.x ounce container.

Tabac is also top notch and not a whole lot of money if you find a deal, but the scent is fairly strong, and not for everyone.....I personally like the scent, and own the soap, splash, and lotion. (Thankfully the wife likes it too, because the scent lasts all day).

I tried Arko this morning and I've given myself pretty bad razor burn for the first time in a while.
There's no visible irritation, but I can definitely feel the burn.

It seemed fine during the shave, although I did have to go back to the puck several times to maintain a decent lather. It didn't seem to want to build quite like VDH or Williams.

Not sure if I'll shave tomorrow, but I'll try the Arko again... With more caution.

I guess if I'm going to be testing different soaps, I should get an Alum bar.

Top Bottom