What's new

Hot water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it absolutely necessary to use really warm to hot water while in the shower if someone wanted to use proraso soap with brush or a shave stick of any brand? What about just regular cold water?

I use cold water to shave with instead of warm or hot. I get better results for some reason.....learned it from posts here on B&B. Made the switch several years ago and have no desire to go back to hot water.

I don't take cold showers, nor do I shave in the shower but I use warm water to soak my brush and build a lather. Then, I use cold water to prep my razor and rinse it between passes. I also use cold water to rinse my face. I've done cold water shaving from start to finish but prefer my compromise. Not sure it makes a lick of difference.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use to like the hot towel to the face method face (2).jpg to hydrate the whiskers & soften the beard whiskers and it felt good in the winter months.
After some limited research a lot of doctors do not recommend hot water because our ancestors did not use that for cleaning unless visiting a barbershop and that tradition has been passed on from generation to generation of barbers, a different way of cleaning and preparing the clients face for the straight razor. I find hot water irritates my skin with a sharp razor blade where warm or cold water relaxes the skin.
I never shave in the shower and my routine is simple and fast with excellent results. All do is brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a 5-10 second brush load that is all but needed (bar lasts about 8 months) with my dedicated Yaqi Cashmere 24mm synthetic brush and rinse with warm water after face cleansing. Then apply a dollop of (pea size>) to my cleaned beard area(does not clog up my brushes or shave gear like some pre-shave oils will) and start mixing my lather in my bowl. Dampen my face with some cold water and apply the lather for 1st pass and then cold water rinse after each consecutive pass. After finished shaving I rinse with warm water to get rid of soap residual and followed with a glorious final rinse of cold water to finish off my shave(that is such a nice feeling to the face & more comforting than even the hot towel method).
This method works the best for myself and superior to hydrating the whiskers and softening them for the shave than a lot of other methods IMO.
Z-Pre shave products (4).jpg
Z-preshave Aloe Vera gel (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Totally up to you! My only ’rule’ is to finish my shave with a cold water rinse, then a splash.

Other than that it really depends on the day. And I do enjoy a cold shower on a sweltering hot day!!

It's currently hot and humid in my neck of the woods; a cold water shower feels fantastic and is a great way to cool off before bed, IMHO. I've tried taking a cold shower both before shaving and after shaving; I find I prefer the latter. That said, I prep my face by splashing cold water on it while soaking my brush and making my lather. My shaves have been as good as (if not better than) when I prepped my face with hot water or a hot towel. Of course, YMMV.

Reactions: Kix
Is it absolutely necessary to use really warm to hot water while in the shower if someone wanted to use proraso soap with brush or a shave stick of any brand? What about just regular cold water?
I cannot imagine using cold water in the shower but I expect in hot climates cold water showers are a welcome relief from the heat.
In terms of lather, cold water will work but it is easier to build the lather with hot water. Also cold and hard water are a real challenge but you just use more soap to get there. That said, if the water is too hot it kills the lather so bathing temperature is fine.
I like to finish a shave with a cold water rinse though.

If you have a soap that responds better to one temperature extreme, it might not be the best of formulations. As far as preferences go, I'll be the oddball who likes room temperature water. A cold or hot rinse just isn't very comfortable.

It depends on the season and location.

Mostly I use whatever the temp of the water from the cold tap is for pre/post and
use whatever the temp is from the hot tap for brush soaking and building lather.

In the summer I've been known to put a gallon in the fridge, (no joke), for pre/post but I still
use hot for the brush/lather. Cold water shaving is a real school of thought. Ben Franklin was a
big fan.

You haven't lived until you've rinsed with ice cold water and splashed Proraso Green when
the over night low is 90.

Hot water softens the hair faster than cold. Have you ever washed your hair with cold water? It takes more time for you hair to get saturated. Eventually, it will get soaked through, but it just takes longer.

Too hot water is not really good for the skin and does make it more easily irritated. I prefer to use just slightly warm water. That is more comfortable for me and lathers the soap faster, also.

I tried cold water shaving (twice) after learning about it here. No good for me!
Roughest feeling shave ever and didn't feel good like when you use hot water.
I've never seen or been to a barber shop that shaves cold! Anyone?
I'll stick to a hot shave after a hot bath!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom