What's new

Hot or Cold?

moses said:
Why does everyone do a warm rinse, before cold?

I find that cold takes off the leftover lather just fine.

I agree, I just use cold. What is the point of doing warm first? I especially can't wait to use cold water after I have used Proraso.

SteveL said:
I agree, I just use cold. What is the point of doing warm first? I especially can't wait to use cold water after I have used Proraso.

I find that warmer water dissolves leftover soap/cream more thoroughly.

Yup, for me the warm water rinses better than cold, but if you like the cold water, go for it!

There are no rules here that work for everyone. . .except for "don't shave drunk with a straight," but that just seems to make sense.:tongue:

NMMB said:
first with warm to get rid of the left over cream and mess... then with cold (and for much longer) as a part of the AS (before any AS products).

Me too.. keep pores open while you rinse the stuff off your face, then switch to cold to close them up (at least in my mind that's what I'm doing).

Elmo said:
cold water
then an alum block
then cold water
then aftershave

If you've already tried this, no biggie, but if you haven't, try, you might be surprised...

After you rinse and block, don't rinse again, don't dry, just let it air dry. I usually go get some pants on during this time. :scared:

Once most of the alum rinse has dried, then finish up with your splash or balm of the day.

I find I get MUCH better results from the alum if I let it dry on my skin. It tightens better, and reduces burn, irritation a LOT better... If I have a slightly rough shave and block but rinse soon after, i'll break out a bit for a good portion of the day... If I let the alum dry, I usually won't have any irritation at all.

Letting the alum airdry completely is the best way to go instead of rinsing it off again or drying it off. I used to rinse afterwards again and then pat my face dry but since a couple of weeks I use the cold block after a cold water rinse and let it airdry. While it's drying I clean up my brush, bowl and put some stuff away. Once it's completely dried up I don't use an AS balm anymore but just a moisturizing balm since I find the alum alone highly sufficient for an AS treatment.

FWIW - if I let the Alum dry on my face without rinsing/swiping it away with witch hazel, then my face gets more irritated than if I hadn't used the alum at all.

I may be in minority/the only one with this reaction...

Initially when I let the alum airdry my face tends to look/feel a slight bit irritated, but this is away after 15 to 20 minutes. I take it it's just the alum that's doing its job at that time. :001_smile

I should actually try shaving a few days without the alum and see whether it has any different effect. I do know that if I put the Nivea Extra Mild AS balm after the alum that I get more irritation, but that's because of the AS itself and not because of the alum block.

Top Bottom