Do you use hot or cold water?

• Hot

Votes: 38 36.9%
  • Cold

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 22 21.4%

• Total voters
I realized I was hijacking the thread so I started another one and will let this one get back on track. My apologies to the OP!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I kind of use a combination of warm water(never hot water anymore) and cold water.
To prepare my brush I use warm water if it needs soaking(Boar brushes and badger) Synthetic brushes just warm water and squeeze out excess water to start the lather making process.
After every pass to rinse my face I will use cold water, my face enjoys that more than warm or hot water for some reason.
I think cold water calms the skin also IMO.
To clean the soap residual on last pass I will rinse with warm water first and then followed by cold water rinse seems to work the best for myself over the last 4> years.
Dermatologists recommend warm water to cold water is better for the skin, when you think about how much effort thousands of years ago evolution to heat water to clean with it just was not practical so they used cold water 95% of the time unless they lived near hot springs.

I tried out rinsing with cold water this morning.

The razor I used was a Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf with a nearly new Gem Blue Star blade loaded in it.

I did my normal shaving routine using hot water as usual, but I spashed ice water on my face following my shave and put on some Pinaud Clubman afterwards.

I didn't really notice a significant difference other than it giving a nice cooling sensation and my aftershave stinging slightly more than usual, though that could have something to do with my razor of choice or the fact I'd let my facial hair grow out for a couple of days.

I might try it again, next time I want to pair the ice water with some Aqua Velva.

I tried out rinsing with cold water this morning.

The razor I used was a Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf with a nearly new Gem Blue Star blade loaded in it.

I did my normal shaving routine using hot water as usual, but I spashed ice water on my face following my shave and put on some Pinaud Clubman afterwards.

I didn't really notice a significant difference other than it giving a nice cooling sensation and my aftershave stinging slightly more than usual, though that could have something to do with my razor of choice or the fact I'd let my facial hair grow out for a couple of days.

I might try it again, next time I want to pair the ice water with some Aqua Velva.

I flirted with cold water splashes at the end of shaves due to recommendations here. I didn't like it very much; it was uncomfortable and also didn't seem to improve the shave results in any way. I'd recommend doing a full cold water shave from beginning to end to see if that might appeal to you. I seem to get a slightly closer shave with cold water compared to hot. I shave after taking a hot shower.

Hot water to prep face and build lather, cold water to rinse blade during the shave and skin when finished.

What would you say in regards to a hot shower followed by a cool/cold water face rinse just prior to lathering? I've also been using cold water to lather without negative results. I'm very early in this experiment, but given my procedures the cool/cold water rinse after a hot shower, but before shaving, seems to tighten up my skin and give a slightly closer shave than if I used hot/warm water for the face rinse.

Maybe the combo of hot prep/cold shave is best. I've never tried hot prep with cold water during the shave. Very interested to learn more.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
whatever comes out of the cold water side. In the Summer it’s’ surely not cold. In the winter it’s cool.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
How many people in the world don’t have water at all? Much less hot water. The Gillette Guard was specifically designed for use in India where access to water is limited. Where many people shave with just a cupful of water. Not a sink, not a choice of running a faucet of hot water. Nope, just a cupful of water. It was designed to be easily rinsed off in minimal amounts of water.

Hot vs cold is entirely a 1st world question.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
What would you say in regards to a hot shower followed by a cool/cold water face rinse just prior to lathering? I've also been using cold water to lather without negative results. I'm very early in this experiment, but given my procedures the cool/cold water rinse after a hot shower, but before shaving, seems to tighten up my skin and give a slightly closer shave than if I used hot/warm water for the face rinse.

Maybe the combo of hot prep/cold shave is best. I've never tried hot prep with cold water during the shave. Very interested to learn more.
Sir, my approach comes from the Master Barbers' experience. In place of hot water you can also use a hot towel before lathering. Warmth is used to soften the beard and allow more comfortable passes of the razor. The final cold rinse is recommended after the shave to close the pores and tighten the skin.

Anyway, experiment yourself and find out what works best for you. :)

Sir, my approach comes from the Master Barbers' experience. In place of hot water you can also use a hot towel before lathering. Warmth is used to soften the beard and allow more comfortable passes of the razor. The final cold rinse is recommended after the shave to close the pores and tighten the skin.

Anyway, experiment yourself and find out what works best for you. :)

Yes experimenting is definitely best in this hobby. We all have different beards, growth patterns, and sensitivities. I was just very surprised by how I was able to shave with cold water and get a superior result compared to my normal hot water shaves. The cold water definitely wasn't as comfortable, in terms of pure enjoyment. But it seemed to lead to an ever so slightly closer shave.

This is all after a hot shower though, so my whiskers were definitely already softened. However, I can't imagine any clients of a professional barber would be happy with an abrupt cold water splash just prior to their shave. I certainly wouldn't be happy paying for that lol. I also can't comment on how straight razors/shavettes compare in terms of water temp to DE razors, which are what I use.

Regardless, we should all do what is best for ourselves. 🍻

this is what chat gpt-4 has to say on the subject .
Sure, I can compare and contrast the reasons for cold water and hot water shaving with a straight razor. Here are some pros and cons of each way:

• Cold water shaving:
    • Pros:
      • Keeps the blade sharper longer by contracting the metal molecules in the blade .
      • Reduces inflammation and redness of the skin by constricting the blood vessels .
      • Prevents dirt and bacteria from entering the pores and causing infections by closing them up .
      • Minimizes skin irritation and razor burn by creating less friction and heat .
      • Refreshes and invigorates the senses by stimulating the nerve endings .
      • Saves energy and water by eliminating the need for hot water and shaving cream .
    • Cons:
      • May feel uncomfortable or painful for some people, especially in cold weather .
      • May not soften the hair as much as hot water, making it harder to cut .
      • May not provide enough lubrication for the blade, increasing the risk of nicks and cuts .
  • Hot water shaving:
    • Pros:
      • Softens the hair and makes it easier to cut by opening the hair follicles .
      • Provides more lubrication for the blade by using shaving cream or soap .
      • Feels more comfortable and soothing for some people, especially in cold weather .
    • Cons:
      • Dulls the blade faster by expanding the metal molecules in the blade .
      • Increases inflammation and redness of the skin by dilating the blood vessels .
      • Allows dirt and bacteria to enter the pores and cause infections by opening them up .
      • Causes more skin irritation and razor burn by creating more friction and heat [^5^].
      • Wastes energy and water by using hot water and shaving cream[1]3^^].
Based on these pros and cons, I think cold water shaving is better for shaving with a straight razor. It can help you maintain a sharp blade, prevent skin problems, and save resources. However, this is just my opinion, and you may have different preferences or experiences. The best way to find out what works for you is to try both ways and see how they feel. What do you think? 😊

I use neutral water for the shave itself and then cold water after I'm done. I used to do hotter water because I saw barbers recommending that and saying it makes the whiskers softer. Having tough whiskers, I had high hopes, but as it turned out I didn't really notice my whiskers are any softer and the hot water was making my skin dry. So in a nutshell, the hot water may have influenced the softness of the whiskers, but at a price of higher skin irritation. So it's a no-no for me.

I tended to use warm water when i started DE shaving
Now i rinse my razor under cold water - i seem to be getting less nicks/cuts and irritation
Not sure though if that is the cold water or slightly improving technique
Hasten to add pre wash use warm water only use cold to rinse the razor

• Cold water shaving:
    • Pros:
      • Keeps the blade sharper longer by contracting the metal molecules in the blade.

• Hot water shaving:
    • Cons:
      • Dulls the blade faster by expanding the metal molecules in the blade .

I am no metallurgist, but this sounds like utter hooey to me. I have seen it thrown around on social media by younger folks and I am am guessing that where is Chat GPT gets it from - a good example of why you shouldn't trust AI to answer questions, as it just perpetuates misinformation!

The melting point of stainless steel is between 1400 and 1530 degrees C. I cannot believe that the difference to the blade temperature resulting from shaving with water of 10 degrees or 30 degrees would make any difference whatsoever. Common sense say that any effect at all must be so infintesimal as to be utterly negligible.

Of course, now someone with a PhD in mettalurgy will turn up and explain why I couldn't be more wrong! :lol:

Started shaving using hot water. That’s all I saw in the commercials on tv. Tried it with DE for a while. Then tried cold water, and been using cold water for about 12 years now. It’s nicer on my skin. It’s works as long as you have good preparation.

Top Bottom