What's new

Honing Time Again!

So I have a healthy collection of about 20 vintage SRs that I've brought back to life. I rotate enough that no one razor gets used more than 5 or 6 times a month, with some seeing less use. Because of this, I haven't really had to hone anything since my last vintage purchase back in February. Before then, it was Christmas when I honed the last razor before.

Some of my razors in rotation have been going a year or better since seeing a hone. I've no doubt at least 1 has 50+ shaves under its belt. BUT... some of my razors are starting to get a bit tuggy with several days growth. I think my aim will be a full progression on 2 razors per week until they're all done. I usually like to keep things freshened up better than this, but between my recent separation/child custody (have my daughter 50% of the time) and working towards my masters in accounting... life has been busy. I finally graduated and now have time for some chores.

Has anyone else amassed a significant number of razors to hone like this?

Legion

Staff member
So I have a healthy collection of about 20 vintage SRs that I've brought back to life. I rotate enough that no one razor gets used more than 5 or 6 times a month, with some seeing less use. Because of this, I haven't really had to hone anything since my last vintage purchase back in February. Before then, it was Christmas when I honed the last razor before.

Some of my razors in rotation have been going a year or better since seeing a hone. I've no doubt at least 1 has 50+ shaves under its belt. BUT... some of my razors are starting to get a bit tuggy with several days growth. I think my aim will be a full progression on 2 razors per week until they're all done. I usually like to keep things freshened up better than this, but between my recent separation/child custody (have my daughter 50% of the time) and working towards my masters in accounting... life has been busy. I finally graduated and now have time for some chores.

Has anyone else amassed a significant number of razors to hone like this?
Nah. We are all on a strict limit, only one razor each. :lol:

My problem is I can't go more than 10 or 15 shaves before I get the honing itch haha. I have about 8 razors in my regular shaving rotation - an unlucky heljestrand mk4 has been getting the brute of my honing adventures. Will need to pick up a new honing grunt in the future.

Good luck on getting your masters! I am working on a career shift currently (hoping to get into IT so learning to code in my free time). So might not be honing as much for the next year or so.

My problem is I can't go more than 10 or 15 shaves before I get the honing itch haha. I have about 8 razors in my regular shaving rotation - an unlucky heljestrand mk4 has been getting the brute of my honing adventures. Will need to pick up a new honing grunt in the future.

Good luck on getting your masters! I am working on a career shift currently (hoping to get into IT so learning to code in my free time). So might not be honing as much for the next year or so.
Doing better than me, I get 2 or 3 at the most before I touch them up.

Hard to get a serious or sympathetic response from a bunch of honing fanatics.

Pasted balsa, linen, and clean leather seem to keep my giant hoard shaving well (or even improving) indefinitely.

So I have to keep hitting the vintage stores to maintain a supply of razors that need serious honing. I do have a few clunkers that may have steel/temper issues. I could accumulate a sub-hoard of those losers to build up a honing backlog.

Or I could start imagining edge improvements I could make with different hones. I have stocked some rocks with that approach in my sights.

Lotta people have huge collections, 20 is a starter kit to them.
I have owned a lot at one time, not hundreds though.
I've been downsizing steadily, I would like to get the number under 10.
I hone all the time, but not everything is 'in rotation'. I just noticed there is a Greaves I haven't touched in years so I am going to take it out soon and tune it up for a ride.

Reactions: Wid
I've amassed an outright silly number of straights. My primary reason for needing to re-hone is when I up my honing game. For example, I read something on Badger & Blade or pick up a new stone. Most recently, buying a 16K Shapton has meant that I get to refine each razor and shave with it. My secondary reason for re-honing is that my two 20 something sons use my straights and one of them strops, sometimes badly. On occasion I have a razor that goes from excellent to surprisingly dull. I don't ask, I just put it in the queue for honing.

My next task is to figure out how to get rid of a spare 100 vintage straights.

Reactions: Wid
Top Bottom