What's new

Honing on a strop.

Hi, I've got a Wilkinson Sword Empire razor. No strop, two dull blades. I've also got (leftover from repairing a chair) lots of canvas webbing strap that's just the right size for a stop. If I paste up a short length of that with some #2000 or so lapping paste, another length #8000, will I be able to sharpen up these blades, or will I just round off the edge? Worth a try?

Don't know how the edge looks, if it is intact you can try to maintain it on the strop. If not you have to renew it.

They should be honed first, then you strop to maintain the edge. I don't recommend putting paste on a strop for safety razors, as the strop is also abrading the bars in the razor as you strop. It eats the finish quite a bit quicker.

Do you have a holder for the blade? My Empire has a swivel head where the blade is stropped in place a la Valet Autostrop. Do you have a holder for the blade? My older Pall Mall is a different story, but the Empire does not have a way to hold the blade. Gonna be really hard to strop it without a way to do that.

They should be honed first, then you strop to maintain the edge. I don't recommend putting paste on a strop for safety razors, as the strop is also abrading the bars in the razor as you strop. It eats the finish quite a bit quicker.
Ah, I can see that. Not a good idea, then. Just really didn't want to hand hone these tiny blades. I'll keep a lookout for a blade holder.

Top Bottom