What's new

Honing Gear Acquisition Thread

IMG_5173.jpeg

Ladies, don't let your man wander around alone amongst the kitchen hard goods at your local Japanese grocer.

A King 1000 bevel setter went through checkout, plus a genuine actual knife hone, also from the king. No astrolyte here.

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5172.jpeg

If I skin out one possum for pie, instead of grilling a T-bone..
paid for!

IMG_5171.jpeg

Reactions: Wid
My honing stuff. A couple mods I use,
Sink platform.
View attachment 1725710View attachment 1725712
Travel case, Jnat, Coti, synthetics and my black Ark.. lapping plates in the house, just noticed o left it out.

View attachment 1725714
View attachment 1725715View attachment 1725716View attachment 1725718View attachment 1725720View attachment 1725721
I am stealing that sink platform design. My double laundry sink is right next to honing central.

I feel validated about my 3-in-1 oil, too.

I am stealing that sink platform design. My double laundry sink is right next to honing central.

I feel validated about my 3-in-1 oil, too.
The platform is made from an old cutting board I deleted was not fit for the kitchen anymore. The black layer is stall matting, same stuff as those piece together floor mats they sell for work shops or gyms. I just JB weld to secure bottom runners, and they are solid. The mat I used for surface is non slip, so it grabs the stone and keeps everything in one place. I also have one that is two sided I use at the bench of table.

Don’t let me validate anything for you. I use what works for me. I get great advice here, but I learned to tune out the know it alls. I can’t tell you how many things I read here that don’t work, actually do work. Don’t let an angry person with no talent, ability or imagination push you discourage you from thinking outside the box. Sometimes the obvious is the answer. Try, learn, and try again.

The platform is made from an old cutting board I deleted was not fit for the kitchen anymore. The black layer is stall matting, same stuff as those piece together floor mats they sell for work shops or gyms. I just JB weld to secure bottom runners, and they are solid. The mat I used for surface is non slip, so it grabs the stone and keeps everything in one place. I also have one that is two sided I use at the bench of table.

Don’t let me validate anything for you. I use what works for me. I get great advice here, but I learned to tune out the know it alls. I can’t tell you how many things I read here that don’t work, actually do work. Don’t let an angry person with no talent, ability or imagination push you discourage you from thinking outside the box. Sometimes the obvious is the answer. Try, learn, and try again.
Thanks for the detailed description. I have an old cutting board ready to go! I would not have thought of JB Weld for bonding.

Yep, so many opinions, many preached as gospel. I do avoid posting some things, both to avoid argument and the appearance to disseminating gospel truth.

Yea I need to get a 4x or 10x loop, that one is nice. Mine is to damn strong, but at least I do t need a microscope 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Wid
Top Bottom