What's new

hone?

Can I use my lansky sapphire stone to get a good shaving or do I need to have a higher grit stone? I would be using a loaded strop after the stone.

I don't know what grit the sapphire stone is, but typically you would use a progression of multiple stones unless you are using a natural stone and slurry stones. If this stone you are talking about is one that has the guide rod for knife sharpening, I don't think that it would work well for honing razors primarily due to its size.

Hopefully someone more knowing than myself will chime in also.

Need more info, you said loaded strop so have to ask, loaded with what crox paste, diamond spray ? If the razor was honed properly with a good bevel and then finished off up to the 8-10K range on either synthetic or natural stones most generally all that is needed is a good pre shave strop on just plain leather of about 60 strokes and if done correctly (not rolling the edge) should last a few months then you could use your sprays or pastes to dress up the edge some even hit the sprays or paste after a week, I have heard after 7 shaves do 7 laps, after a period of time you will need more and this is where I usually go back to the 8k range and do 25-35 very light strokes and work my way up to the 16k range and finish off with linen/leather

Lansky sapphire is a 2k synthetic. Very hard though so the 'grit' might not translate to what you'd expect from a waterstone.
I doubt it'll be a superb finisher though.

Also, you might get more responses with a slightly more specific thread title...had to laugh at that one :)

Top Bottom