What's new

Hone scratches?

I got a new norton the other day, lapped it down, and started honing a straight. When I was done, it popped hairs off my arm and shaved nicely the next day, however, I couldn't help but notice these streaks on my norton:

Are these the telltale signs of some common mistake? Or was the original bevel just super wobbly? This was a bit of a restore on an older razor.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The stone scratches the razor, and the razor scratches the stone. When you rub steel against rock, it's going to happen.

If it bothers you, a nagura stone can usually polish out the scratches in the stone.

I got a new norton the other day, lapped it down, and started honing a straight. When I was done, it popped hairs off my arm and shaved nicely the next day, however, I couldn't help but notice these streaks on my norton:

Are these the telltale signs of some common mistake? Or was the original bevel just super wobbly? This was a bit of a restore on an older razor.

Those are metal deposits from the razor :smile:

I've never heard of regular honing putting scratches on a Norton unless your pressing way too hard or unevenly and gouging the stone with part of the razor. But if you were doing that you would see it in the bevel or edge of the razor. I can't tell from the pics, metal from the razor usually are black or dark grey streaks on the stone which I don't see. Use a magnifier, then you can tell for sure.

I guess maybe I'm overreacting a bit. I just haven't seen these streaks on any other nortons anywhere, and I felt like the honing turned out well, at least for the blade. I suppose I'll just re-lap the thing and forget about it for now.

That just looks like swarf to me. That would be normal. Give the stone a rub down with a scotch brite pad under running water.

Jordan

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I took your word for it in my original reply. Having viewed your pic on a better monitor, it just looks like swarf to me. Rub it out with a nagura, and you're good to go.

If you're worried about this, don't buy Shaptons. The hairline fissures will freak you out.

Top Bottom