What's new

Homemade Eucalyptus soap - Success!

After my somewhat successful first attempt at soap-making, I decided to tweak my recipe and give it another shot, so yesterday I cooked up an eucalyptus soap (or a "croap," since its a soft soap). I just shaved with it this morning, and holy cow it is good!

The soap was made using a hot-process mixed with oven process: the oils were melted in a bain-marie, and the KOH+water was poured in and mixed until a medium to heavy trace was formed. At that point the soap was poured into a pyrex dish and put in the oven (pre-heated at 150F). After one hour, the oven was turned off and the soap was left in over night.

A quick tongue-zap test showed that saponification was done, so I used it to shave this morning. I thought my first soap was good, since it lathered more easily and robustly than the Kell's Original soap I was previously using, but this one blows them out of the park. I finally understand what people mean by "lather explosion!" After a few seconds loading the brush, I proceeded to face lather and had a full, fluffy white beard in under a minute. The lather was nice and slick, and provided good cushioning too.

In case anyone is interested, my recipe was this:

• 40 g Stearic Acid
  • 30 g Olive Oil Pomace
  • 20 g Castor Oil
  • 18.8 g KOH
  • 10 g Coconut Oil
  • 10 g Glycerin
  • 1.35 g (1/4 tsp) Bentonite Clay
  • 1 ml Eucalyptus Essential Oil.

I was worried that the eucalyptus oil would burn off, so I waited until the trace was cooler than 110F before adding the fragrance. Although the oven would bring the oil above its flash point, my hope was that enough scent would be left in the soap. That was indeed the case, as the lather had a very pleasantly and mild eucalyptus aroma (as opposed to the incredibly strong smell the oil put off when mixed in to the trace last night).

The main question for me now is "what do I do with my first attempt?" -- I doubt I'll use it again, and it feels wasteful to throw it away. Maybe I'll give it away to someone...

Good work. Two things - avoid glass as much as possible when soaping, and you can add the scent in to the soap AFTER it is cooked.........................

Good work. Two things - avoid glass as much as possible when soaping, and you can add the scent in to the soap AFTER it is cooked.........................

Thanks for the tips, but can I ask why one should avoid glass? For shaving soaps they seem like a great way to mold a soap into the container they'll be used in. I figured that so long as the glass can withstand high temperatures (like a mason jar), there's no risk of it breaking. Is there a safety concern I haven't thought of?

What's wrong with your soap? Did I miss something? If it works well, why aren't you using it?

If you don't want it, and it's good, you can always PIF it to someone.

Congratulations on the successful batch of soap. I'd like to make my own soap from scratch one day as well.

What's wrong with your soap? Did I miss something? If it works well, why aren't you using it?

If you don't want it, and it's good, you can always PIF it to someone.

This new soap I made is great, but my 1st attempt was merely good. You're right, I might PIF it out, since it's still a decent soap!

Thanks for the tips, but can I ask why one should avoid glass? For shaving soaps they seem like a great way to mold a soap into the container they'll be used in. I figured that so long as the glass can withstand high temperatures (like a mason jar), there's no risk of it breaking. Is there a safety concern I haven't thought of?

Well, over time the lye can cause damage to the structure and thermal shock can then cause it to shatter. Even though it might be able to take a high temperature, sudden massive changes can still cause issues.

If you're putting a fully cooked soap in to glass, that is one thing. If you're mixing lye or cooking soap in glass, that is something else entirely.

Well, over time the lye can cause damage to the structure and thermal shock can then cause it to shatter. Even though it might be able to take a high temperature, sudden massive changes can still cause issues.

If you're putting a fully cooked soap in to glass, that is one thing. If you're mixing lye or cooking soap in glass, that is something else entirely.

Ah, good to know, thanks!

Just a quick update on this soap:

After a week of daily use, it has gone closer to the cream side of "croap." My guess is that it does not easily let go off the water it absorbs from the brush, and absorbs more water from the humid air in the bathroom. The "stiff cream" texture is not a problem at all, and I have found that it works very well with a very wet brush (shaken once after soaking).

I've had more luck face-lathering than using a bowl, and during the first minute or so (when the lather is at its warmest) the soap gives off a very pleasant eucalyptus smell. The fragrance becomes more subtle after that (though still detectable when lathering up for 2nd and 3rd shaves).

I'm still happy to call this a success, and don't think I'll have any need to tweak this recipe at all!

I did make another batch last night, trying for a tobacco fragrance (using a glycerin-based tobacco extraction I made). I'll report on it after trying it out.

Yet another update (in case it's helpful to anyone else), after more than a month of using this soap:

The eucalyptus soap is still very, very good, and today I decided to shave with the Kell's Original Aloe Blend soap I was using previously. My technique must have improved, since I managed to get very good creamy lather from that soap. Yet the shave was disappointing: too much drag on the blade, and a little irritation.

After just one pass with the Kell's soap, I rinsed the brush and loaded up with my homemade soap. The second and third passes (both XTG, in opposite directions) were much more pleasant.

In other words, I can now confidently say that my recipe yields a better soap than at least one established artisan soapmaker (though YMMV, as nearly everything else when it comes to shaving).

The tobacco soap I attempted to make was a failure. The extract I had made a few months back, while great for e-cigarretes, was awful in soaps. Oh well...

I've since ordered a ginger/patchouli fragrance oil and a bay-rum(ish) fragrance. I've made the soaps a few weeks ago, but haven't had the occasion to use either yet. Will report back when I do. :thumbup1:

Good to know...btw if you mic eucalyptus ;avender and geranium you might have a fougerish scent!!!

Interesting, thanks for the suggestion. As it turns out I'm going to make another batch of eucalyptus soap soon, so I might just add some lavender and geranium.

It seems like I did not mention this in any of the above posts, but last time I made my eucalyptus soap I added some rosemary essential oil to the mix, that that's a fantastic combination. Both scents are very similar, but the rosemary adds a menthol-like cooling effect to the soap.

Also, I've decided that KOH only croaps are too soft for me. I think next time I'll shoot for 70% KOH and 30%NaOH, and see how the soap performs.

I also plan on adding some Lanolin. Now that I'm using straights, I need all the glide I can get (though, to be fair, I've run out of my soaps with bentonite clay, so the clay alone may be enough).

Good call with the Lanolin. I am still a Newb but all the Lanolin soaps I have used have been my best performers.
Enjoyed reading your thread, I may try to make soap one day, thanks!

Top Bottom