What's new

Home Alarm/Security Solutions?

I have Comcast home security, kinda pricey but effective for now....and motion lights can warn of lurkers as they move in darkness.

What happens if some one cuts your cable , do you have an alternate sending system. If its plugged into the internet and not a landline you may have exposure.

Okiestubble, thanks for the repost. Good stuff. We have some of it covered. The alarm is a big step. I don't want to have to constantly modify it to make it work. The turnkey solution suggested by pault will be looked into as well as some scratch built options.

One of the advantages to a centrally monitored system is that they may prevent a burglary in the first place. The potential criminal may see the decals on your doors and windows and decide the risk is too great; easier pickings may be had by moving on to your neighbor who doesn't have an alarm system.
I had an ADT monitored system at one house. I was very dissatisfied with them, and dumped them after the contract ran out.

They were replaced by Slomin Shield, and I was very satisfied. They install a HARD-WIRED system for free, and the monitoring cost was reasonable, about $25 a month back then. Their technicians were prompt, courteous and highly-skilled. Their call-center is manned by people that know what they're doing and don't give you the run-around when you call in with a tech or billing question. I'm not sure if Slomin's Shield is available everywhere, check www.slomin.com

Avoid a wireless system at all cost. When it comes time to replace those batteries in the transmitters, the price will eat you alive. And they will all die within a short time of each other, usually at the most inconvenient time.

Gents, I see we have more good replies. Thank you.

I have been mucking around diysecurityforum.com and you can find much about alarm systems there. Particularly sharp guys who are willing to help. A few things stand out when you start digging there. First the move to wireless is full on but it is NOT without some major pitfalls. Most of the old hands there suggest a hybridised system. A regular hardwired panel with a wireless 'module' added in for the function. Coming from an electricians' perspective, you cannot beat wire. This holds true for data as well as it does power. It also means some knackering when it comes to installing it in an existing dwelling. I have a lot of experience making this happen. Most people don't and that is where the wireless really shines. The main issue with the hard wire panels is simply technology. More specifically the lack thereof.

Most of the control panels are essentially 1980s era tech and don't offer up things like network control and programming. Not even a usb port so you could make a script of parameter settings and flash it to the controller in the panel. ALL of it is done through the wall mount keypads. And some of the manuals have 70-100 pages of settings you can change on the system. And almost all of it involves MANY pushes of buttons. It is all rather archaic. Don't get me wrong. Most of them work just fine. The KISS principle really does apply here. However, diagnostics are long past continuity testers and tone probes. Unless you are just searching for an obviously shorted out or open wiring issue. The industry needs to improve user friendliness a LOT on the hard wired stuff. Particularly the programming.

I am unsure of the wireless panels and controls since I have never used them or read too much about them. They are making huge inroads though. My sense is they are much more network friendly. So lots of choices still to make. I will probably wind up with a hybrid system but truth to tell, I would almost like to find something that would accept physical inputs like contacts and sensors and let them be controlled by software. I know about Arduino but nothing about writing it I know it is supposed to be great for interfacing analogue, physical parts with your pc. I don't really want to get into soldering board though. Anyone have any thought on rolling your own system?

When I purchased my house, I called in a reputable Locksmith and asked him to reinforce, secure and upgrade to commercial grade locks (not the ones you get at home depot) all entrance points regardless of cost.

It amazed me all the work he did, knowing how local burglars usually compromise a home. I thought my sliding patio door was rock solid secure with a added deadbolt and a slide bar door disabler. What I didn't know is the whole double pain door could be lifted off its tracks and removed. He installed some simple bolts in the track so the glass door frame could not be lifted out.

I put zero trust in Alarm systems. Its a false sense of security. The call goes to the security company and when they arrive, usually in 25-40 minutes, the burglar's are long gone and even if they weren't, the security guard will not confront a burglar. My security attack plan is to stop them getting inside in the first place and when you see the expensive commercial grade locks and reinforcements on the door, a burglar should know its time to try a different home that is easier to break into.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
We are using a Monitronics alarm system. We have dogs in the house, so motion sensors are out, but we have glass break sensors in several areas plus door entry sensors plus a fire/CO alarm in the basement. The system is connected via a cell phone system installed in a remote area in the basement - so hard to find if someone breaks in and tries to locate it.
It is turned on whenever we go out and is always on during the night. We also have dogs, a Dachshund and a Chihuahua, both are very sensitive on what is going on outside and very noisy as well. Inside the house guns are ready.....

BRITD, in many ways I agree with you. It is why we are not looking for monitored alarms. Good lighting, good procedures about keeping things locked and not too inviting go a long way toward what we want. In fact, the first thing we are doing once this weather breaks a bit is installing good outdoor lighting. If there is one thing most criminals do not like it is the light of day. The rest of it is mostly to not be taken by too much surprise when someone walks up to the house. A driveway proximity sensor, one for the back stairs, and a couple of network cameras at the same locations will help with that. And some of the cameras now have a voice function built in. You can converse with someone at the door without going near it. This is what I want for my daughter and wife. The alarm stuff is just to let you know if the garage door is left open or is opening but the thing makes so much racket you can't miss that anyway. And the front and back doors. It is neat thing to have the keypads set up to chirp or chime when the doors are opened. This is really critical when someone is in the house by themselves. And any dialer would call us.

As to monitoring, I won't pay for it. After speaking with a number of people who had these expensive contracts almost all said they either stopped it or were going to stop it. Depends upon situation. A small business for example is almost silly to not have it. And police will not admit it but they respond to business calls much more readily than residential alarms. I have spoken with a couple of people who told me NO ONE responded to their paid monitoring service. Police later told them they called the home to see if it was legit. When no one answered they just ignored it! I am not sure if it had anything to do with not having an alarm permit or not. Some cities require that before police will respond. The 'pro' who installed your system and pointed your toward a monitoring company he uses(more likely gets a stipend from for the referrral) may not have done the paperwork necessary for your coverage to be complete.

This is one business that has a high attrition rate. One of the two long time security agencies in town told me to do this. Find a four or five year old phone book and start calling numbers in the alarm and security sections of the yellow pages. And then see how many are disconnected and no forwarding number. This pro may have been a former installer for a company who went out on his own. He had a van, a ladder rack, and a nice yellow pages ad. He installed your system, set it all up, and then changed the master programming code to his dealer code. This way only he can work on the system. Built in maintenance revenue. He is no longer around and the manufacturer doesn't have this information. With no way to enter programming you cannot default anything back to factory specs. You have an expensive wall hanging piece if anything goes wrong or the programming loses its mind. Good luck ever getting this information. There are orphaned alarm systems installed all over the country that will not work anymore for various reasons. The monitoring company went broke and without the programming code you cannot change the phone number it calls for monitoring. See where this can lead? Another expensive brick. I will be installing my own and keeping all the documentation in safe place for future reference.

Hate to see a threat in the house or home invasion while there. A monitored system will send out someone if you hit the panic button. But nuttin if not monitored. If $15. Month isnt worth to save your life. What i s?
I would never go wired again. Been running mine over a year and no issues. Keypad batteries aa. Need to be replaced in 9 months. But window units good for 5 yrs. thats $60 to repl all at once

Be careful of wired systems if you smash the pad will it still work? And wired system to be secure you need a cell card for calling the big boys charge for that making it expesize.
If youvwant to chat about my system pm me tel #. And we can chat. I can pretty much go thru everything i been thru for 15 yrs

Paul, good stuff. Sure, I am all for $15 a month if it actually works like it is advertised. Again, some of this depends upon jurisdiction. If you live in a large, crime ridden city then a response measured in minutes is likely not going to happen. On the other hand, if response is good then it is certainly worth it. How does your wireless communicate with the monitoring station? If not through the internet then I would think it is a cellular connection as well. Does this require a cellular phone account as well? If so you have to budget that in as well. Thanks again.

FWIW, My dog will let me know if someone is entering the driveway well before a hand hits the door knob. Security lights are a good deterrent. We use Alarm.com. I can check in, arm/disarm on the other side of the world, if I want/need, right from my cell phone. No land line connection and stays active for 24 hours during a power outage.

Last edited:
We have front point security. Wireless, self install, and cell phone technology. Door/window contacts and glass break sensors. You can add cameras to the mix, but monitoring cost goes up. Accidentally left the door slightly ajar and the wind blew it open. PD was there in 12 minutes, and reported that two large dogs were preventing their entry. Closed the door, did a perimeter check and reported back.

Monitoring is $40/month. We added cameras (foscam ip cameras) that we can check on phone, tablet, fire TV.

Paul, good stuff. Sure, I am all for $15 a month if it actually works like it is advertised. Again, some of this depends upon jurisdiction. If you live in a large, crime ridden city then a response measured in minutes is likely not going to happen. On the other hand, if response is good then it is certainly worth it. How does your wireless communicate with the monitoring station? If not through the internet then I would think it is a cellular connection as well. Does this require a cellular phone account as well? If so you have to budget that in as well. Thanks again.

Also guys, remember this. I am not necessarily looking for a full on monitored alarm. Most of what we want is early detection and warning. Lighting, cameras, and good locks. The alarm stuff can come later.

Top Bottom