What's new

Holy Grail Pens

Pen collectors do you have a Holy Grail pen(s) they you seek for your collection?
My holy Grail Pens:
1. Orange or yellow Parker Duofold
2. Waterman Carene
3. Mount Blanc any model

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I would have to say that this is one of my holy grails, and would never be obtainable.

proxy.php

A Montblanc was the first "real" pen that I owned. It was a gift.
I've been gunning for a MB FP for years, but never pulled the trigger.
I haven't browsed their product catalog recently, but at the very top of my wish list is a MB FP of some sort.

EDIT: I actually do own a Montblanc 320 Fountain Pen, but I'm talking about a new, top of the line, special edition, &c.

Last edited:
I wondered how long it would take for this thread to get started :001_smile

I'm not really a collector, I'm a user. I do a lot of writing so ink capacity is very important to me.

Pelikan M800
Pilot Custom 823
Sailor Realo
Dantrio did a vacuum filler that I would really like to get my hands on but they don't come up for sale very often.
Nakaya Briarwood with Nemo's very cool cartridge hack. Actually Nemo's cart hack suddenly makes a lot more pens attractive to me.

I don't really have a GRAIL pen, because while I am a fan of fountain pens I am trying hard not to be a collector of fountain pens. I guess the one that would closest be a grail pen for me at the moment is a Twsbi diamond. Not much of a grail right? I use all my pens for daily writing and I have to admit I am not very easy on most of my things. While I would love some of the more beautiful modern or vintage pens, I know that it would simply be money thrown away.

I dunno. There are some higher end pens I've got a thing for, but none are really unobtainable in the way that a true Grail would be.

1. Pilot M800 or 600 in green striped
2. Visconti Homo Sapiens
3. Visconti Wall Street
4. Eversharp Skyline

I'm thinking about selling off a bunch of the pens I have and don't use and getting the 800. I am probably close.

Ah Grail pens. Should be a short list but everyone has their favorites. Here is a short list.

1. Mont Blanc 149 for the mid-1960s
2. Waterman Le Man 100
3. Parker Dufold
4. Pelikan M1000
5. Sailor King of Pen with a Naginata Togi nib
6. Mont Blanc Writers Edition Hemingway

I've added this to my list:
The Montblanc Mystery Masterpiece
Only because it costs around 730,000 USD

$GKv5K0QkOnae1lezEdJinWN6o1_500.jpg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I love Pelikans as you may have figured out.

Modern -- man, if I could only afford it. M101N
proxy.php

Vintage -- 101 Tortoise (pre-war), 3 or 4 times harder to afford!
proxy.php

Those are all lovely pens (except maybe the MB mystery), but I just KNOW that I would somehow cause most of them to crumble to dust within a week.

Here's my 'Dream Pens' - I usually only keep pens that I can write with but those Duofold Senior Lucky Curves are just the height of Art Deco styling..

MB149 from 1980s with ultra-rare Broad Oblique Nib (needed for my left-handed over-writing) - it took me years to find it.
Jade Green Parker Duofold Lucky Curve Senior 1926
Pearl & Black Parker Duofold Lucky Curve Senior 1928 (These ones discolour - in this case to a nice Butterscotch) - A non-discoloured example really is the 'Holy Grail' - this one is pretty good - some are nearly black.
Parker Duofold Lucky Curve 'Big Red' 1926
Parker Duofold Lucky Curve Pearl & Black Junior 1928
Parker Duofold Lucky Curve Lapis Blue Junior 1928

proxy.php

Here's that MB Oblique Broad Nib:
proxy.php

I have a couple of grail pens and have acquired one so far, an early 90's MB 146. My other two are a 75th Anniversary 149 with the rose gold furniture and mother of pearl star, and a Visconti Homo Sapiens. the HS feels unreal in the hand. One day I'll splurge on a used HS, but the 149 will probably never happen since most are going for over $2000.

One of the Nakaya fountain pens - of my own design - with an Ultra Extra Fine nib). Made of Ebonite with a custom designed Urushi Lacquer design, perhaps of Mt Atago or something like that. Perhaps in this next lifetime ... And the converter with the goldfish on it :)

---
Ken

Top Bottom