What's new

Holy Black Trading Company AS

I had a few minutes to kill at work last weekend, so of course I was on Etsy looking at shaving stuff. I came across the Holy Black Trading Company page and he had a sample pack of his aftershaves. The ad said each sample was enough to actually use to shave, so I figured why not for less than $10. I got them in Friday afternoon and gave them all a sniff. I really love all the scents and the descriptions were pretty accurate, although I wish there was a little more black powder scent in the Gunpowder Spice. I used one of them yesterday and immediately I could tell something was different. When I put it on, it felt somehow slick without being the least bit greasy. Even though it contains alcohol, there wasn't the slightest bit of burn. It did have a very little bit of heat, but I wouldn't call it burn for a second. It smelled great and my skin felt fantastic. They only contain alcohol, alum, witch hazel, glycerin, essential oil. Once I burn through the samples (I can use each for two shaves) I'll be ordering a full bottle. $30 for 250ml isn't bad at all. I'll list the scent description with my (very amateur) observations below.

Sandalwood Smoke: Sandalwood oil has been used for thousands of years and it is a staple in the shaving world. If you don't own at least one sandalwood soap, cream or aftershave, you are missing out one of the most luxurious classic scents made specifically for a man. I have also added a slight hint of woodsmoke to further the masculine undertones of the sandalwood. This seems very accurate to me. It's a real sandalwood type scent with just a very little smoke. I wish it had more smoke, but I don't know how I'd react to it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHolyBlack?ref=l2-shop-info-avatar

Bay Whiskey Lime: Bay Rum has it's roots in the 16th century sailors and pirates that discovered that the oils in the bay leaves that grew in the Carribean could be mixed with rum to make a type of aftershave or cologne. Recipes have been closely guarded and many barbers in early American times would mix their own concoctions. This formulation is made from essential oils of lime and of the Pimenta Racimosa leaves. This one is my favorite. It smells exactly how it sounds and I'm very excited to try this one today.

Gunpowder Spice: Gunpowder Spice is exactly what it sounds like, a mix between the classic Ol' Spice scent with the added aroma of freshly fired black powder. The smokiness of the black powder mixes well with the spices you remember from when your grandfather splashed it on. Shave like a man, leave the roses and lavender behind. First off, I don't love Old Spice. It's not bad, but this sort of updates Old Spice (be it good or bad for you) into something I really like. Also, I'll never leave the roses and lavender behind.

Mountain Man: The Mountain Man incorporates the scent of the pine forests of the Northwest. Oil from the Balsam fir tree and essence of woodsmoke makes this just about the manliest smell on the planet. Feel the Great Outdoors even if you have to sit behind a desk. I hate vetiver. All the vetiver I've ever smelled just smells like dirt, which I don't want to smell like. Having said that, this makes it work for me. This is my least favorite of the four, but still very nice. The pine and woodsmoke make it work very well and I wouldn't have trouble wearing this at all.

I would have no trouble at all recommending this to anyone. I have only used one sample so far (I'll break into another after my shower this morning) but I have to say in order of preference, It's bay whiskey lime, gunpowder smoke, sandalwood spice, then mountain man. I'll most likely order the first two and possibly the third for the winter, as well as some of his shaving soap when I start running low in a year or so. I can't recommend this stuff enough.

Top Bottom