What's new

Hold the Caesar Salad

I swam in a pond once. I had to shower the muck off afterwards. We tried to catch frogs with sticks. This was in my younger years of course. I think I was about 30.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yes, not counting the Migrant Caravan.
Well 10 out of 39,000,000 ain’t nothing. But 39M people ain’t buying and eating romaine. It’s a lot less than that. 10 cases can easily turn in to 10,000 considering how many people eat out every day. How many people use the bathroom and don’t wash their hands.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I swam in a pond once. I had to shower the muck off afterwards. We tried to catch frogs with sticks. This was in my younger years of course. I think I was about 30.
And swimming pools! Public pools. I don’t mess around with any of that stuff. I’m not afraid, but why risk it.

Agreed , but I'm already borderline neurotic.. If I start worrying about germs it will escalate to buying a bubble..

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well, we all have E. coli in our intestines as it is. As do all warm blooded animals. If you ain’t currently sick than it’s the good kind. If someone says “there may be some bad E. coli in this ABC food” I’d steer clear.

Agreed , but I'm already borderline neurotic.. If I start worrying about germs it will escalate to buying a bubble..

Amazon has got you covered

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-20 at 8.05.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-20 at 8.05.05 PM.png
    360 KB · Views: 12

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I heard about this right after I ate some. Hahaha. At least it was at home and not out at a restaurant. If that's any consolation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I blame the news media for not explaining this stuff. Sure, we are all in near constant contact with e coli bacteria. I sincerely doubt whether any of us is in frequent contact with O157:H7 e coli even if some of us lived in a bog on a cattle farm.

My older son, who had been completely healthy, when he was in the 8th grade was infected with O157:H7, suffered hemolytic-uremic syndrome--meaning kidney failure, and was on in the hospital dialysis for two weeks. (He was in the hospital for three weeks total.) His kidney function started to return at the very edge of the time that statistically he would have surely suffered severe permanent kidney damage. He is 30 now. As i understand it, it is not clear that he will not have severe kidney problems as a result of this some day.

It is unusual for a child of 13 to suffer HUS from e coli. Not so unusual for younger children to. It would be unusual for an immune system uncompromised adult to suffer HUS from O157:H7, but it would probably kill you or at least destroy your kidneys. Even if one does not get HUS, O157:H7 can give one a whole new respect for food poisoning Bloody diarrhea being something that catches my attention. There is no treatment other than keeping the patient hydrated. Antibiotics are ineffective and thought to increase the chances of HUS.

So just saying. E coli O157:H7 is serious stuff, and not something anyone wants in the food supply. It is very dangerous to younger children and is a sign that something has gone very wrong in the supply of whatever food we are talking about.

I blame the news media for not explaining this stuff. Sure, we are all in near constant contact with e coli bacteria. I sincerely doubt whether any of us is in frequent contact with O157:H7 e coli even if some of us lived in a bog on a cattle farm.

My older son, who had been completely healthy, when he was in the 8th grade was infected with O157:H7, suffered hemolytic-uremic syndrome--meaning kidney failure, and was on in the hospital dialysis for two weeks. (He was in the hospital for three weeks total.) His kidney function started to return at the very edge of the time that statistically he would have surely suffered severe permanent kidney damage. He is 30 now. As i understand it, it is not clear that he will not have severe kidney problems as a result of this some day.

It is unusual for a child of 13 to suffer HUS from e coli. Not so unusual for younger children to. It would be unusual for an immune system uncompromised adult to suffer HUS from O157:H7, but it would probably kill you or at least destroy your kidneys. Even if one does not get HUS, O157:H7 can give one a whole new respect for food poisoning Bloody diarrhea being something that catches my attention. There is no treatment other than keeping the patient hydrated. Antibiotics are ineffective and thought to increase the chances of HUS.

So just saying. E coli O157:H7 is serious stuff, and not something anyone wants in the food supply. It is very dangerous to younger children and is a sign that something has gone very wrong in the supply of whatever food we are talking about.

The general warning suggests they don't have a handle on the source. Knowing a produce farmer (no, he doesn't grow lettuce), and hearing of some things he has to do, that in itself is a bit surprising. It's also surprising in that they traced the original outbreak to an irrigation canal in Yuma, Arizona. This, though, implies that there might be another, unidentified, problem area.

If you want a particularly nasty thought, if seeds can be contaminated, that could spread it. Have no idea if that's even possible. But that would mean even if you grow it yourself, there could be an issue.

Or it could be something weird. Remember a case somewhere on the US East Coast with beach water quality that had them looking for sewage leaks and such. Turned out it was from birds and big rains. Big rains would wash out where the birds nested.

There was plenty of Romaine still being sold in the grocery store here last night. Not sure many would buy it who heard the dire warnings. I'm sure the risk is small here on the East coast though food travels a long way these days.

In Canada, yes we do know where it came from. California. Even the region in California in which it was grown. CBC and other news sources have informed Canadians of the source of the contaminated romaine, and the circumstances that gave rise to the contamination (contaminated ground water). The contaminants reside in the flesh of the lettuce, not just on the surface, so even if you wash it, you may still get sick. All California romaine was pulled from supermarket shelves. Produce for sale in Canada must state the country in which it was grown. California romaine has returned to supermarket shelves. People aren't buying it.

Last edited:
You know where it came from now. It's been isolated to four possible counties in California. It just doesn't get much coverage. When the outbreak began, where it came from was a big question. It's like looking for patient zero in an epidemic.

Top Bottom