What's new

Hitting a slump, please help...

Hi

Thanks for checking this post out, any and all feedback is hugely appreciated!

I’ve been wet shaving all my life, since I was, about 13 years old. I’ve always dealt with bad razor burn, until recently I watched Mantic59’s videos on youtube (thanks for all the help), read a few articles about how to hold a razor, how hard to press down (weight of the razor only) and all that jazz.

Lo and behold, I used Mantic59’s 4 pass method shaving technique, I had a perfect shave. I bought the best bristle brush (still using the boar brush, I know) and got a couple Colonel Conk shaving soaps (Lime & Almond), JM Frasier cream and The Merkur Classic 1904 Open-Comb Double-Edge Razor along with Precision Personna Israel blades. Followed it up with some Pinaud A/S and The Real Shaving Co. moisturizer (bought the moisturizer recently)

After a few good months of no razor burn at all, I’m now experiencing light razor burn. I’ve changed my technique from long light swipes with the razor, to very small light shots (almost like blade buffing). I don’t think it’s my technique. I’m constantly looking to get a smoother shave every time I shave so I might be pressing harder without even realizing it. I’m not stretching my skin as much either on my neck, I have a cowlick under my chin to the right which I need to shave in almost every dircection to get a BBS shave in that area, and I was doing fine, until recently.

I guess what I’m looking for is someone to tell me to try something new, or old, to help fix the problem. I also heard eShave pre-shave oil could help.

Any Ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
I just wanted to welcome you to B&B,

First what are the root causes of razor burn? For me, I look at the blade I am using and then ask myself how fresh is the blade?

I am sure alot of very helpful answers will be coming along shortly.

Enjoy the forum, great to have you here :001_smile

I just wanted to welcome you to B&B,

First what are the root causes of razor burn? For me, I look at the blade I am using and then ask myself how fresh is the blade?

I am sure alot of very helpful answers will be coming along shortly.

Enjoy the forum, great to have you here :001_smile

Well after checking out your question, root cause of rasor burn, I'm leaning more on razor bumps now.

Razor Burn: Razor burn is an irritation of the skin caused by using a blunt blade or not using proper technique. It appears as a mild rash 2–4 days after shaving (once hair starts to grow through sealed skin) and usually disappears after a few hours to a few days.

Razor Bumps: Pseudofolliculitis barbae (pronounced /ˈsuːdoʊfəˈlɪkjʊˈlaɪtɨs ˈbɑrbeɪ/) is a medical term for persistent inflammation caused by shaving. The etymology comes from "pseudo" (false) "follicle" (hair) "itis" (inflammation) "barbae" (of the beard). It is also known by the initials PFB or colloquial terms such as "razor bumps."

I don't suppose this will be particularly helpful advice, but whenever I get a few bad shaves in a row, I approach my next shave like it was my first. Put myself in the mindset of being slightly cautious about the blade and somehow this usually gets me back to the basics and clears up any bad habits I've developed through laziness. You were likely getting a bit confident and forgot to always respect the blade. :tongue_sm

Have you tried going back to the longer swipes? Maybe it is the shorter swipes, and your skin doesn't like it.

How long have you been using shorter swipes? Maybe it is the swipes, and your face just hasn't had enough time to adjust to a different "feel" from the blade.

Why did you stop stretching the skin on your neck, and when? If that is where your razor burn is appearing, and it did so shortly after you stopped stretching your neck skin, maybe that change is what is doing it.

Think off all the things you have changed, and try going back to your old way of doing things. Maybe it is something you changed, and by doing what it is you used to do, you might be able to get closer to finding out what is causing the razor burn.

I’m constantly looking to get a smoother shave every time I shave so I might be pressing harder without even realizing it.

I think you already answered your own question. If you are "constantly looking to get smoother", you will end up shaving your skin away. Know when to say "good enough".

Have you tried going back to the longer swipes? Maybe it is the shorter swipes, and your skin doesn't like it.

How long have you been using shorter swipes? Maybe it is the swipes, and your face just hasn't had enough time to adjust to a different "feel" from the blade.

+1. I have been using longer strokes without a problem. This morning I decided to try shorter ones because that's what mantic's video said to do. The result? Razor burn.

Tomorrow, long swipes again.

Hi

Thanks for checking this post out, any and all feedback is hugely appreciated!

I’ve been wet shaving all my life, since I was, about 13 years old. I’ve always dealt with bad razor burn, until recently I watched Mantic59’s videos on youtube (thanks for all the help), read a few articles about how to hold a razor, how hard to press down (weight of the razor only) and all that jazz.

Lo and behold, I used Mantic59’s 4 pass method shaving technique, I had a perfect shave. I bought the best bristle brush (still using the boar brush, I know) and got a couple Colonel Conk shaving soaps (Lime & Almond), JM Frasier cream and The Merkur Classic 1904 Open-Comb Double-Edge Razor along with Precision Personna Israel blades. Followed it up with some Pinaud A/S and The Real Shaving Co. moisturizer (bought the moisturizer recently)

After a few good months of no razor burn at all, I’m now experiencing light razor burn. I’ve changed my technique from long light swipes with the razor, to very small light shots (almost like blade buffing). I don’t think it’s my technique. I’m constantly looking to get a smoother shave every time I shave so I might be pressing harder without even realizing it. I’m not stretching my skin as much either on my neck, I have a cowlick under my chin to the right which I need to shave in almost every dircection to get a BBS shave in that area, and I was doing fine, until recently.

I guess what I’m looking for is someone to tell me to try something new, or old, to help fix the problem. I also heard eShave pre-shave oil could help.

Any Ideas? Thanks!

Welcome to B&B!!! After reading your post it seems like it could be a number of things. One possibility is the razor. Based on reviews on this site, it appears the Merkur 1904 may be a relatively mild razor. Could you be applying pressure to compensate for the mild nature of the razor? Just a thought.

Just throwing my 2cents in....the things that helped me get past razor burn was, concentrating more on light, multiple passes (2-3) w/ long strokes. Rather than fewer passes w/ added pressure, and most of all blade selection. I have used some that just tore my face up, some that I got DFS from, and just stuck w/ those. Maybe just try and get quite a few DFS under your belt, then go from there? Good Luck and Welcome! :biggrin:

I don't suppose this will be particularly helpful advice, but whenever I get a few bad shaves in a row, I approach my next shave like it was my first.

This is actually very good advice. More often than not folks tend to start going faster and make subtle changes without realizing it.

Going back to basics is always the first step in figuring out what your doing different now.

BTW, Welcome to B&B...Enjoy!!!

I had a similar situation with bumps and break outs recently. SWMBO advised I take it back to basics and do what I did when I was getting good shaves. The advice worked. Turned out I'd been adding steps to my routine which just made my skin freak out becasue it wasn't used to all the additional products. If you've had good shaves for a few months then go back to doing it that way. I've realised that just because the considered wisdom says one thing it doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you.

The earlier advice of treat it as if it was your first shave is good advice.

Thanks for all the time and care you fellas put in your posts, lots of good advice.

Now I shaved last night, razor burn... After reading through some of the topics, and your replies, I decided "hey, why not just go for it again, just to satisfy myself." So I went back to the basics less than 24 hours since my last shave, and voilà! No razor burn! Although there are some couple tiny tiny little rough spots, but I let them stay there in fear of getting more razor burn.

I'll let the irritation I have heal up, and get back to the basics.

It's hard to stop when you know what a BBS shave is, but sometimes you just need to learn to say "no".

Ok, I know exactly what was wrong. I verified this today by correcting the problem and getting the shiniest BBS shave in the history of mankind. Finished it off with a little Clubman Pinaud Talc and A/S.

Now I was doing some reading and found out that the Merkur Classic 1904 Open - Comb Double - Edge Razor is actually adjustable. One of the "features" of older scew-on-pole open comb (is there another term for that?) was to unscrew the pole slightly in order to ever so slightly in order to lift the blade off the comb. What this does is raises the blade, giving an exceptionally close finishing pass. Every time, you need to remind yourself that you really cannot press down at all. One very very very important thing is this, there is a sweet spot you must remain within (in tightness), because after that sweet spot, your blade will move or your head will begin unwinding during the shave.

What I did was this:
  • 1st Pass: The pole was nice and Tight
  • 2nd Pass: Unscrewed the pole no more than 1/10th of a turn
  • 3rd Pass: Unscrewed the pole no more than 1/6th of a turn
Result: BBS and shiny

As you can see, the amount I unscrewed was very, very small, but made such a hefty impact on the final product, that I just can't keep this to myself. Try it out! Let me know your results.

One of the "features" of older scew-on-pole open comb (is there another term for that?) was to unscrew the pole slightly in order to ever so slightly in order to lift the blade off the comb.

I believe this technique was meant to be used with the old, stiffer and thicker three-hole razor blades, and it's not so easy to pull off with today's ultrathin DE blades. So be careful, but if it works for you, great!

Top Bottom