What's new

Hi I'm New to Straight Razors

Back around when the pandemic started, I had been shaving with an electric razor for years, but got fed up with having to buy expensive sanitizer cartridges for it.. I never liked that the sanitizer cartridge was a big hunk of un-recyclable plastic.
So I switched over to canned shaving cream and disposable razors.

Well that did not last long, because those razors are expensive, so I bought my first ever classic safety razor that takes double edge blades. I still used canned shaving cream. What a difference! I began to enjoy shaving because I simply got a better shave and it costs practically nothing.

Eventually I used up a can of cream and I thought about what a waste to throw this hunk of metal in the garbage, so I looked into and bought a badger hair brush and shaving soap.. ooh... Now I remember watching my father shave when I was a child... I was all set... I got a decent shave and was nice to the environment.

Well as it happened my thoughts turned to straight razors, mainly because I had issues about disposing the used double edge blades... They seem to dangerous to just toss in the trash, so I'd save a few and wrap them in tape before tossing... However I realized, with a straight razor-- there are no blades to buy or throw out... It should last 50 years.

So about a month ago I bought a "Cambridge Cut Throat" razor (aptly named) to learn on.. This is a so-called straight razor that takes a disposable blade. I had watched plenty of videos on how to shave with a straight razor and had no problem just jumping in and shaving with it.. Sure, I got a few cuts the first few days.. and found that the blade does not last more than a shave or 2 before it causes irritation... so I spent a couple weeks with that, felt I got good enough and bought an actual honest to goodness straight razor.

I had my eye on an inexpensive Dovo -- but that was like $180... it's on my christmas wish list now, but I bought a $30 carbon steel no-name straight razor that came with a strop. Complaints in the reviews for it said it was not shave ready.. So I figured... So long as it can be honed, that should not be a problem -- because I fully intended to learn to sharpen and hone my own razor.

It came in, I stropped it, and I checked it out with the "hanging hair test".. it cut nicely through one of my fine head hairs.. so I was good to go.

I would say I got the best shave I've ever had with it. Absolutely no irritation, no nicks or cuts... and I realized it was actually easier and nicer to shave with than the razor I learned on..

After a few shaves my thoughts turned to leaning to hone... I watched a lot of videos, bought a set of stones, and promptly ruined the edge on my nice new razor! So I learned to set the bevel, and hone it up the right way and got it to a better state than it came in..

There is a thread on here about how often do you shave with a straight razor. I found it shaves so well that I really don't have to shave every day, but I do anyway because it is so enjoyable. It's part of my morning me-time.

I'm so happy with this I bought a second cheap razor -- a Gold Dollar, which is coming today, and I also bought a vintage Geneva Cutlery razor -- which looks in great condition in the photos, that I will do any required restoration and use in a rotation with the other two razors.

I've enjoyed reading on these forums for a while, and I thought it was time I joined in!
Welcome to B&B and congratulations on your new hobby. Yes shaving is your hobby now whether you like it or not!! ;)

Hi all,
I'm new to the site and learning my way around it. I've been wet shaving for more than a decade using the same kit I started with (I have changed blades though:). Now I'm looking to re-tool and so I've come here to see what's good.
-Richard

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hi all,
I'm new to the site and learning my way around it. I've been wet shaving for more than a decade using the same kit I started with (I have changed blades though:). Now I'm looking to re-tool and so I've come here to see what's good.
-Richard
Where does your interest lie; carts, "safety" razors or straight razors (read this first)? Your location and budget would also help us guide you.

Thanks rbscebu. This was my very first post to this site and I realized only after the fact that it was a straight razor thread....I am nowhere near that brave:) But I imagine after a few months on here, my courage level will go up! Thanks for the reply and sorry for the errant post.
-Richard

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thanks rbscebu. This was my very first post to this site and I realized only after the fact that it was a straight razor thread....I am nowhere near that brave:) But I imagine after a few months on here, my courage level will go up! Thanks for the reply and sorry for the errant post.
-Richard
No worries, lots of us use both straight razors and DE razors during the same shave, for a Daily Double. What is your current kit?

~doug~

-Richard
I used (and still use) a variety of Double Edged Safety Razors. I enjoy them. However, the straight razor has me addicted and it is an expensive habit. There is no need to worry about using one. There are some videos and take the nonsense out of it and show you just how easy it is to shave with a straight razor. It has to be truly shave ready, of course, not factory shave ready. So, unless the place you purchase from provides that service, you'd have to get a professional razor honer to do it for you. I'd just buy from a place that does it for you. I know several if you want to message me. The big thing is, have no fear.

Also, you will need a good strop. I know a place that is inexpensive and has top quality strops. It was recommended by a member here and did not disappoint. The strop is for realigning the blade after shaving and before the next shave.

Let us know if you want to be brave and learn the straight razor. We will be glad to help you. It is not that difficult and a little fear at the beginning is a good thing so you don't get overconfident. However, once you learn, you will find it a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Sully990 if you still become interested in straight razor shaving (even after reading the warning), you can find the instructions here:

I think I need just one more stone ;)
giphy.gif

Top Bottom