What's new

Here we go again, why are we paying ATT 200$ and get 303 steel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want my next razor built of carbon fiber, to FIA standards for safety, and the work done by Maclaren, Ferrari, or Mercedes... ah hell; done by all three! (Top cap Mercedes, handle Ferrari, and plate(s) by Maclaren!) AND, I want it proven to be shave safe over the expected lifetime of an owner by redundant failure testing BEFORE I accept delivery. Oh, and I want it delivered for a buck ninety.
THIS is what I got from the OP. ) sorry lad (

I would think the main reason for using 303 over 316 is machinability. As a machinist that works with various materials, I can say that with the small tooling that has to be used to produce a razor It would take around 2 to 3 times as long to perform many of the machining operations on the 316 as opposed to the 303. 303 is much more free-machining and isn't nearly as hard on tooling. I would think that their razor made with 316 would cost at least 50% more for the consumers, and as such their over-all sales would suffer enough that their over-all profit would be less. Just my thoughts.

I have ATT raozrs, don't get me worng, they are great ones!
But
I still think that ATT could use better steel, for almost 200$ they can use gold if they want ;)

316L is a little bit higher priced than 303, really don't see any reason why they won't use it

And BTW
I am really not the only one who complain about it
Open any youtube video of reviews about it, and the same comment goes up again and again "why are you using 303 when you can use 316L? "

so I am not bashing the company, I think they make great products and do love them, I just wonder if so many want 316L, why not giving it to them?!

I would love a razor made of vibranium. Drop it on the ground and it bounces right back to your hand. Shave with it and it feels like there's no blade in there.

Hi,

I note that makers who use 316 tend to use sintering, not machining, so there is a huge difference right there. Me, I'd prefer machined 304, and AFAIK only one maker uses that. Gotta wait a long time for one, though.

In the end, it is only a safety razor, and any form of SS is a lot tougher than the brass most are made from. Now, my favorite safety razor is made from Plastic and Zamak. But, my straight razor was made from 304 by my Dad's Dad (both were machinists and toolmakers).

Stan

316L is a little bit higher priced than 303, really don't see any reason why they won't use it

Its been explained a number of times why 303 is a better choice for manufacturing a razor than 316L. It appears, despite protests to the contrary, you may have an issue with a single manufacturer. Perhaps addressing that concern directly might be appropriate?

I'm just gonna point out that the author of the linked article was super ecstatic about "SAMURAI SWORDS!!!!".

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just wanna pay 50-100% more for something that yields no discernable benefit knock yourself out. Stan has made a good decision in choosing what he did to keep the price in a more affordable range.

Not sure why my post, that included the article that I'm 99% positive caused this thread, was edited so that the article was removed. Why hide what was likely the cause of this misinformation?

Not sure why my post, that included the article that I'm 99% positive caused this thread, was edited so that the article was removed. Why hide what was likely the cause of this misinformation?

Your post and the OP, they were both edited by Mods.

From the TOU:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Terms_Of_Usage

6a. Links to sites that duplicate B&B content - B&B is a free service for our members, and maintains a specific set of rules, posting limitations, and fee structure for those advertising goods, services, and outside information sources such as blogs, podcasts, videos, and sites which have similar content to B&B. Links, redirects, or pointing to content that duplicates B&B content is disallowed. Links to blogs (regardless of subject) are not permitted. In short, if it's a subject discussed on B&B, links to other sites may only be posted by approved and paid vendors.

I seem to recall a similar topic in the SE forum concerning what type of stainless steel the Mongoose is made of. Is there a particular reason or point to this concern of stainless steel? Both the ATT and Mongoose razors are good razors and the fact that they are made of stainless steel makes them even better and they will last past your lifetime with proper care. Just enjoy them and not get worked up about minor things like they type of stainless steel.

More than adequate for a razor, and the best choice for ease of machining.

Excellent post TobyC, that pretty much puts an end to any argument in my mind. Stan decided on 303SS, and his position is defendable from several technical standpoints. Ead, you're just gonna have to find another razor if you can't live with 303SS.

If this stuff is all that, I'd expect to see it in heat exchanger tubing, unless it's really expensive. Is it ferromagnetic?

Applications
  • Oil and gas industry equipment
  • Offshore platforms, heat exchangers, process and service water systems, fire-fighting systems, injection and ballast water systems
  • Chemical process industries, heat exchangers, vessels, and piping
  • Desalination plants, high pressure RO-plant and seawater piping
  • Mechanical and structural components, high strength, corrosion-resistant parts
  • Power industry FGD systems, utility and industrial scrubber systems, absorber towers, ducting, and piping
Standards
ASTM/ASME ………. A240 – UNS S32750
EURONORM………… 1.4410 – X2 Cr Ni MoN 25.7.4

AFNOR……………….. Z3 CN 25.06 Az

Even although the duplex grades are mixtures of austenite and ferrite they are still strongly attracted to a magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom