What's new

Henson Razor Club.

As long as you rinse it well in running water, shake it off. Loosen the thread a bit and let it dry on the stand.

Then a clean up after each blade change then rust won’t occur. Unless your’e one of those who use blade like 100 shaves or more.
4 shaves tops for me! Thanks for the help, I think I will try this for awhile. Blades aren't supposed to rust but I've heard/read rumors. Shaking out the excess moisture should definitely help. Thanks for your help.

I replace my blade after every shave so I simply rinse and dry my razor. Every now and then I will apply a drop of mineral oil to keep the threads lubricated. I find the AL13 needs very little maintenance. the Ti22 on the other hand... I owned two of them and it was very hard to keep water droplets from staining the top cap.

Wow how many Hensons do you have in total?

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Henson AL13+ (Mild)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Varen
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Medium Damascus Textured Wet Shaving Lathering Bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co Sand Ebonite Handle 26mm G5A Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Seaforth's Black Watch AS
Rating: 10/10 A comfortable efficient 3 pass BBS shave with one touch up, weepers, cuts or irritation. I felt I used some pressure on upper lip and chin area, so hit them with an Alum Stick for prevention. A very good shave.

Wow how many Hensons do you have in total?
At the moment I have three AL13's in mild, medium, and aggressive. I did have the Ti22 in mild, sent it back to Henson for water staining analysis. They sent me a replacement (I asked for an aggressive). I used that one for about a month and sold it.
I do prefer the aluminum razors. They are easier to maintain and not as cost prohibitive to upgrade/replace.

Of the three I have, if asked to pick one to use exclusively, depends on the day but it's a toss up between the mild and medium.

Today it's the mild.

Paul

Rinse and dry and since I use two razors (except now that I am traveling) I have two hand counters like these.

IMG_2840.jpeg

Do all Henson Club folks do this or is it no cleaning until blade change?

I do what Henson says - rinse it, shake it, open it up a bit and lay it on its side. I don't take the blade out or do any other cleaning. I only clean it when I am putting it away to switch to another razor or when changing blades and I notice too much soap residue.

After each shave, loosen the handle to the point where the blade is no longer bending (about 1 and a half turns) and store the razor on its side in a dry place. This will ensure that the razor can properly dry between uses.

Store Razor On Side

Of the three I have, if asked to pick one to use exclusively, depends on the day but it's a toss up between the mild and medium.

This is something I wanted to ask on this thread for a very long time.
I acquire my 1st Henson a month ago in mild version.

Wanted a bit more efficient and went to buy medium just few weeks after.
Both deliver a close comfortable shave.

Since the difference between mild and medium was barely noticeable.
I wonder how the shave would be with the aggressive version. Would my sensitive skin handle this without irritation.

Do I really need one if I often shave every 2 to 3 days growth.
Is the medium the sweet spot which can just do the job anyways?

Is there a poll about Henson aggressiveness I am not aware of, feel free to give link if any.

I wonder how the shave would be with the aggressive version. Would my sensitive skin handle this without irritation.

Is there a poll about Henson aggressiveness I am not aware of, feel free to give link if any.

For me I find the jump from mild to medium more subtle. The jump from medium to aggressive is a bigger jump.
I shaved everyday with it for a few months and eventually I had to step back. I found it a bit too harsh for daily head shaves.
Also, the liberties I take with the Mild (terms of speed) will bite me when using the aggressive.

Collect 'em all! ;)

I started with the mild, then got the medium. That was a little step up that got me done without so much buffing. Then I got an aggressive and initially it was too much for me. It felt like a much bigger step. I put it aside and worked on my technique for months. After a lot of work, now the aggressive works really well for me. It has significantly more exposure, so you do have to be more careful.

The Henson AL13+++ is by far my favorite. IMO, they chose the wrong name for the +++. It's not aggressive compared to other razors that are generally considered aggressive. People see "aggressive" and their minds are automatically programmed to think "harsh", "risky", "injury", etc.. If they had named it something more appropriate, there wouldn't be such concern about this mid-level razor.

However, if a person is getting nicks and/or irritation with the milder Hensons, the +++ wouldn't be a good idea. Good basic technique is a prerequisite for the +++, or any mid-level razor.

Edited to add: I shave every other day, and can use the +++ every shave. I haven't tried shaving every day with the +++.

Collect 'em all! ;)

I started with the mild, then got the medium. That was a little step up that got me done without so much buffing. Then I got an aggressive and initially it was too much for me. It felt like a much bigger step. I put it aside and worked on my technique for months. After a lot of work, now the aggressive works really well for me. It has significantly more exposure, so you do have to be more careful.

Will try a feather blade on what I have and decide from there.

IMO, they chose the wrong name for the +++. It's not aggressive compared to other razors that are generally considered aggressive. People see "aggressive" and their minds are automatically programmed to think "harsh", "risky", "injury", etc.. If they had named it something more appropriate, there wouldn't be such concern about this mid-level razor.

Exactly my thoughts.
Before I acquire my Hensons, read somewhere saying that mild is equivalent to Rockwell’s plate R3/R4 and medium is plate R5/R6 for me they felt like AL13+ in plate R1 and AL13++ in R2.

I shave plate R4 in my Rockwell so I was wondering maybe AL13+++ is on this range all along and not R6+ as others think. Got intimidated early on.

The Henson AL13+++ is by far my favorite. IMO, they chose the wrong name for the +++. It's not aggressive compared to other razors that are generally considered aggressive. People see "aggressive" and their minds are automatically programmed to think "harsh", "risky", "injury", etc.. If they had named it something more appropriate, there wouldn't be such concern about this mid-level razor.

However, if a person is getting nicks and/or irritation with the milder Hensons, the +++ wouldn't be a good idea. Good basic technique is a prerequisite for the +++, or any mid-level razor.

Edited to add: I shave every other day, and can use the +++ every shave. I haven't tried shaving every day with the +++.
I agree with you. I checked my records and have used the Henson +++ 278 times. Mishaps were extremely rare. In all cases it was due to pilot error; shaving to fast, too much pressure. When they did happen, I could shave the next day with no concerns.
My Gillette 195 on the other hand... it took two weeks to fully recover from one incident.

Top Bottom