What's new

Henson Razor Club.

Welcome! A great group of guys here that are all well versed in enabling!
Consistent Excellence is what I demand and Henson razors deliver!

Henson Razor First Use: October 14, 2021
"First ever Face and Head shave with the Henson AL 13 Mild. I had my doubts with the small blade gap but the results just blew me away! Ridiculously good!"

Henson Usage (number of shaves) through 05/03/2024
Total shave with Henson Razors: 893
Detailed breakdown by aggression:

Henson + = 434
Henson ++ = 181
Henson +++ = 278

Paul aka the self proclaimed Henson King
I have a a parker Variant set on 2 and a Merkur 23C, which Henson's would you say would be comparable aggression wise?

I have a a parker Variant set on 2 and a Merkur 23C, which Henson's would you say would be comparable aggression wise?

If you shave with those two, and have been for a while without irritation and other issues, I'd suggest the Henson medium.* Just make sure you don't add too much pressure when you use a lighter razor.

*[YMMV, you get the advice you paid for, etc]

Last edited:
You know, I don't travel much, I do not dine out often, I don't go to the movies, I do not have movie subscriptions, I do not spend in luxury cars and I do not do buy illegal substances or other expensive stuff I should not mention on a forum. Shaving, pipe smoking, and firearms, ae the only things on which I spend a "little more" than reasonable. But at the end of the day they give me pleasure every day. A colleague of mine asked what is the cheapest way to shave. He smokes a $7 pack of cigarettes daily. Really :D ??

Having said that, probably I should have stopped at Agrumes and Rose. Performance wise they are all the same, the difference is really made by the aftershave I chose. But I could not help myself...

DON'T. Believe me, you do not want to do that.
That makes sense and I totally agree. As expensive as MdC is, it only costs pennies per day. What are your favorite Shaving Brushes?

... What are your favorite Shaving Brushes?
My favorite brushes. That is a difficult question. First of all because the best brushes I have are not necessarily the ones that I find myself using most often. For example, I really think that two of my best brushes, if not the best brushes, are the ones I made with the Maggard Razor 30mm SHD Fan Knot. Outstanding brushes. But for whichever reason I do not use them very often, probably because I prefer to try the newer ones.
In spite of my complaints about Simpson's quality, I have eventually learned how to really enjoy the two CH3 Two Band Silvertip brushes and they are practically identical, I like them both in the same way.
Of my Shavemac brushes, the 30 mm three-band D01 (the one with the red handle) took a certain numbers of shaves but it is now a pleasure to use.
The Zenith Silvertip/Manchurian, 31mm, that I have recently purchased (the badger with the butterscotch handle) is rapidly raising to the top of the list. Some people refer to Zenith as a good value for the price. In my opinion, based on my limited experience, they are excellent brushes, period. I like that brush more that the Simpson's and the Shavemac's. By the way, my Zenith's were made to my specifications as far handles, knot sizes and lofts, so I cannot speak for regular production.
As far as boar is concerned, again, Zenith. Three 31mm knots, bleached hair, just outstanding brushes, a league on their own.
For synthetic, at one extreme I really like the voluptuous 30mm Mother Lode for softness and volume, and at the other extreme the 31x57 dark synthetic that I have just received from Zenith, again made to my specification and really different from any other synthetic that I own. In the middle I really like the Muhle 25 STF and the Omega EVO 2.
I like all the others that pop up in my pictures, but if I have to think about the ones I prefer, probably this list is quite accurate.
Oh, I almost forgot, the Shavemac Silvertip. 30x60 mm , that is an outstanding luxurious brush. When it comes to classic three band silvertip brushes, I think that Shavemec is really underrated.

My favorite brushes. That is a difficult question. First of all because the best brushes I have are not necessarily the ones that I find myself using most often. For example, I really think that two of my best brushes, if not the best brushes, are the ones I made with the Maggard Razor 30mm SHD Fan Knot. Outstanding brushes. But for whichever reason I do not use them very often, probably because I prefer to try the newer ones.
In spite of my complaints about Simpson's quality, I have eventually learned how to really enjoy the two CH3 Two Band Silvertip brushes and they are practically identical, I like them both in the same way.
Of my Shavemac brushes, the 30 mm three-band D01 (the one with the red handle) took a certain numbers of shaves but it is now a pleasure to use.
The Zenith Silvertip/Manchurian, 31mm, that I have recently purchased (the badger with the butterscotch handle) is rapidly raising to the top of the list. Some people refer to Zenith as a good value for the price. In my opinion, based on my limited experience, they are excellent brushes, period. I like that brush more that the Simpson's and the Shavemac's. By the way, my Zenith's were made to my specifications as far handles, knot sizes and lofts, so I cannot speak for regular production.
As far as boar is concerned, again, Zenith. Three 31mm knots, bleached hair, just outstanding brushes, a league on their own.
For synthetic, at one extreme I really like the voluptuous 30mm Mother Lode for softness and volume, and at the other extreme the 31x57 dark synthetic that I have just received from Zenith, again made to my specification and really different from any other synthetic that I own. In the middle I really like the Muhle 25 STF and the Omega EVO 2.
I like all the others that pop up in my pictures, but if I have to think about the ones I prefer, probably this list is quite accurate.
Oh, I almost forgot, the Shavemac Silvertip. 30x60 mm , that is an outstanding luxurious brush. When it comes to classic three band silvertip brushes, I think that Shavemec is really underrated.
Thank you @Omega48 !!!

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your views on those brushes. For any newcomers to the Henson club, you'll find a real treasure trove of information here!

Brushes were more of an after thought for me. I used the same brush daily for 18 months (Simpson T3). Since replacing that one last year I've taken more of an interest. I just realized that I missed the boat on Shavemac. Their is something about the one posted below that I really like. I reached out to the forum member that purchased it and was told it was a custom design which sadly is no longer an option.

1714770369952.png

You are welcome. Shavemac brushes are now available at Maggard Razors with a good selection and beautiful handles, and other stores too. The problem with the closing of their online shop is not only the loss of the configurator but the fact that between Euro prices and the fact that they were deducting the V.A.T. it was cheaper than it is now from third party stores.

If I have to recommend a brush, to try something new, my first choice would be with an SHD Fan Knot from Maggard. Not the bulb, I have one and it is the stuffiest brush I have ever owned. I have two fan knots in 30mm and one in 28nn. With the exception of the 30mm, you can buy the kit that includes the knot, the handle and the silicone. Setting it is super easy, even temporary to decide what loft height you like.
And all of that for well under $100.

@Omega48 thanks again!!
The Shavemac’s at Maggards look amazing.
There is something about the simplicity of the picture I posted. It reminds me of Simpson brushes. That one would have been my choice.
Speaking of Simpson. The enablers on this forum led me to trying a Badger knot. I purchased an X3 Commodore. It took some getting used to but I’ve taken a real liking to it!
I’ll take a look at the SHD fan knot that you suggested!

Henson AL13 Aggressive

Some additional information for any interested potential buyers from the UK

Ordered from The Razor Company (USA) on 21/04/24
Cost £59.20 (this includes a discount and postage and packaging - local delivery by Royal Mail is included in the price)
Arrived at UK customs 27/04/24 and delivered 01/05/24

I chose The Razor Company for their cheap (ish) delivery charges but there are other USA retailers with similar charges.

Overall excellent service and cheaper buying from USA than the UK !

IMG_20240505_165529.jpg

Henson AL13 Aggressive

Some additional information for any interested potential buyers from the UK

Ordered from The Razor Company (USA) on 21/04/24

How's your shave with the aggressive compare to your other Hensons?

I haven't shave much with my Medium but I should have gotten the aggressive instead.
Could barely feel the difference of Mild and Medium.
I bet, I could not even tell which is which if I am blind folded.

Just want to share and not promoting anything. Ordered these LANGZIHT stand in AMZN instead of the Henson ones.

I was impressed, heavy at 100g and very affordable which seals the deal. Snug fit with my mild and medium. Only obvious difference is not having the brand name.

Even my Rockwell 6S could fit nicely.

IMG_8888.jpeg

IMG_8890.jpeg

I just ordered the Henson ++ (Medium) today. I have had some great shaves with my mild Henson but want to try something that might get a tad closer of a shave. I still love my regular/mild Henson, even last night I had a wonderful shave DFS+. It's more of I get a really good shave now but can I get a great shave...to be determined :)

Just want to share and not promoting anything. Ordered these LANGZIHT stand in AMZN instead of the Henson ones.

I was impressed, heavy at 100g and very affordable which seals the deal. Snug fit with my mild and medium. Only obvious difference is not having the brand name.

Even my Rockwell 6S could fit nicely.

View attachment 1841741

View attachment 1841742
I got the same one actually and it works well. It just fits the shorter Henson handle that I bought too. I like that trio you got there, looks nice.

Top Bottom